review

Home Run Inn Frozen Pizza

Usually Pizza Expert shies away from having us review Frozen Pizza, but after I recently tried samples of Home Run Inn Frozen Pizza, that we were given as a perk on Klout, I had to take a few moments to review it for our readers. Like most times I review pizza here, I start off […]

5 / 8
Slice Rating

Home Run Inn Frozen Pizza

Posted By: gman
View site

Usually Pizza Expert shies away from having us review Frozen Pizza, but after I recently tried samples of Home Run Inn Frozen Pizza, that we were given as a perk on Klout, I had to take a few moments to review it for our readers. Like most times I review pizza here, I start off negatively thinking I will have a bad slice, since more often than not most slices (especially frozen pizza) suck. The pizza was free, the size looked puny, and I didn’t feel like waiting around 15 minutes for this micro sized pizza to finish cooking. So I was thinking the worst.

The tiny box that these Home Run Inn Pizzas are a great indication just how small this pizza would be. If I was in the super market I probably wouldn’t even notice them. When I removed the pizza from the box, I wondered if one would be enough or if two would be better since I am a grown boy. Before you read on, you should know, looks are deceiving. I really enjoyed this pizza!

The box says to cook the pizza in in an oven at 450 degrees for 15-20 minutes.

Since I didn’t feel like waiting for my stove to heat up, I placed the pizza in my toaster oven and cooked it at 390 degrees for 12 minutes and it was almost burnt, so do not pay attention to what they suggest and keep an eye while baking.

When I took this Home Run Inn Frozen Pizza out of the toaster oven it was hot and super crispy. Home Run Inn Frozen Pizza looked better than some of the pizzas you might find at some of the big chain delivery places. The cheese tasted pretty good for a frozen brand. The sauce was lightly applied and had a nice taste to it, considering how scolding hot it was. The crust, ohhh the crust, was definitely the best part of this pizza. This was probably one of the best frozen pizza crust I have had.

Home Run Inn, you guys got it right with your Frozen Pizza and it is a brand I will be buying for a long time. I wish they were a little bigger but I guess I will make do.

To my readers, I am sure there is a different taste when you microwave it, so please remember I baked mine. If you microwave yours and do not like it, you cannot compare it to what I thought.

Home Run Inn Frozen Pizza gets 5 out of 8 slices.

• make an
    order

• *
  • *

42 Responses to “Home Run Inn Frozen Pizza”

• Brian wrote:
    19 Mar 2012 at 6:49 pm

Glad I found this review. I knew about Home Run Inn pizza as a pizzeria, but just recently learned they sold frozen pizzas too. Are they only sold in Chicago area supermarkets? As for the temp on the oven, that’s good to know. My oven won’t go over 350 so if I can get one down here in Texas, I’ll just watch and make sure it’s cooked. I’m like you, I usually hate frozen pizza. I’d rather buy a 99 cent Totinos to have something pizzish in my mouth if I’m desperate, but paying $4.99 or $5.99 for a frozen pizza is normally something I will not do.

• Eric wrote:
    19 Mar 2012 at 7:34 pm

For Anyone in Florida, Publix carries this pizza in an approximate 12″ size.  They are made to the specifications of the restaurant, and par baked.  Great example of Chicago bar pie.

• Judith Ann wrote:
    25 Apr 2012 at 9:48 am

WE LOVE HOME RUN INN and now they have evidently pulled out of the Minnesota market totally.  NUTS!  Can anyone recommend another good, classic cheese pizza?  We are in mourning.  Thanks.

• Pizza wrote:
    28 Sep 2012 at 11:58 pm

Kowalskis sells them here in MN

• Darlene wrote:
    29 Jan 2013 at 7:38 pm

I used to get emails with offers but it has been almost a year for any specials that have come my way please can you re add my email to your list again darlenewooton6619@gmail.com thank you

• christine wrote:
    30 Apr 2013 at 12:55 pm

I just discovered this brand a week ago in my grocery store (Winn Dixie) as they were BOGO. First the sale price got my attention and I figured it’d be a cheap & quick lunch for my 18 yr old son. Then I looked at the ingredients expecting to find a huge list of questionable ingredients and additives usually found found in most of frozen meals. I was thrilled to see only natural items, the same I’d use in my homemade pizza (although mine don’t turn out as good). Flavor isn’t over-the-top, the cheese isn’t greasy, but does need Italian spices in the sauce. The four cheese variety is very high in sodium though but I’ll definitely continue to buy it in the regular cheese.

• John and MaryAnne Young wrote:
    21 May 2013 at 6:35 pm

Coming from Boston and a having eaten some of the best pizza in country, we have to compliment your family on the best frozen pizza we have ever eaten!!!! You have earn a new customer for life. Thank you to your grandfather for his service to are country. Bruins-Blackhawks Stanley cup 2013 lol. Thanks again for great pizza.
    John and MaryAnne Young
    Palm Coast, FL

• Leon wrote:
    19 Oct 2013 at 9:53 am

I had one last night. Great looking pizza, but the box it came in had more taste.

• teddymom wrote:
    25 Oct 2013 at 2:03 pm

Agree! The crust was hard and crumbly, not buttery and flaky like the website states. And … zero taste. None. Nada. Zilch. The most bland pizza I’ve ever eaten. I called Home Run Inn Pizza and the most they could do was send me a free coupon for another pizza. No thanks.

• Leon wrote:
    21 Nov 2013 at 7:35 pm

btw, I did find that if you burn the pizza to look like the first image it will taste like one of those paper thin English muffins, though I’m not sure how that’s a plus.

• Sophia P. wrote:
    12 Jan 2014 at 5:27 pm

i’ve tried the “supreme” pizza from home run inn, and it was very delicious. however, i tried the cheese version, and it was really gross.

• JoyPCS wrote:
    16 Mar 2014 at 9:57 pm

Hey Brian, I’m from Chicago. Been here in DFW for 5 years. We just found Home Run INN frozen pizzas at Sprouts Country Market. Don’t know what part of TX you’re in, but maybe there’s a Sprouts near you? Only thing better, IMHO, is Rosati’s about an hour’s drive from us. These are the only true Chicago pizzas in DFW!

• kyle wrote:
    17 Mar 2014 at 10:24 am

Does anyone know if they use beer in the recipe? It tastes like you’re eating it while drunk.

• Sal wrote:
    24 Apr 2014 at 6:53 pm

Cheese pizza I had was the worst thing I’ve eaten in years-yuck!

• MsEngineer wrote:
    01 May 2014 at 7:20 pm

Tried the Chicago style. Worst pizza I ever had. Threw the second one in the trash.

• Dodge Ram 10 wrote:
    15 May 2014 at 4:52 pm

The toppings are fine, the crust is class one armor plate, you’ll need a steak knife and fork to cut it..

• Buy Toppings On Pizza Homemade | Pizza Cooking wrote:
    22 May 2014 at 3:06 am

[…] work? When are you ready for a real deal is finally not able to secrete insulin. Fortunately, acquisition within this fruit is a message (it was cool!) There’s always something that contains many different dishes, […]

• Ariel wrote:
    04 Aug 2014 at 1:00 pm

Nasty, thin pastry like crust that is hard. Toppings are good but the sauce is not. THIS is the worst frozen pizza I have ever had. I would it Tostino pizza before Home Run Inn. This is not Chicago’s #1 pizza.

• Rob wrote:
    30 Sep 2014 at 8:13 pm

Wow – whoever thinks Home Run Inn frozen pizza is stellar, must think Totino’s is positively cosmic. Let me be clear – Home Run Inn frozen pizza is outright awful!!! The crust is crackery, dry and brittle and the toppings are bland. Freschetta or DiGiorno make far superior frozen pizzas. I’m just glad I used a coupon to get this lousy pizza while there was also a sale going on or I’d be very angry – but then, it’s my own fault for buying into the false hype and wasting $3.50 to even try it. If this pizza is truly a fair representation of what the Home Run Inn in Chicago actually prepares, I can’t imagine how they’re still in business – there are much, MUCH better pizza joints in Chi-town. Stay clear of this awful frozen pizza.

• A wrote:
    31 Oct 2014 at 1:59 pm

Best frozen pizza hands down. The cheese supreme with roasted veggies is delicious!

• marie wrote:
    03 Nov 2014 at 7:48 pm

Well this was my 1st HRI pizza & my last. Baked according to directions. Crust was tough & chewy, the cheese looked pre-melted before baking, strange. It was just ok after baking. Sauce blah. House brands that I’ve tried, have better everything.

• Jeff in Charleston, SC wrote:
    22 Nov 2014 at 5:47 am

I bought one of the Ultra Thin “Uncured Pepperoni” pizzas…. It was the nastiest pizza I have ever tasted! It made me so angry, that I actually searched online to find a place to leave feedback about how AWFUL it was! And I rarely care about leaving reviews or comments online.
    Freschetta Brick Oven Crust Pizza is my absolute favorite, with Digiorno being second best… I have been a musician for over 25 yrs… Trust Me, I have had a TON of frozen pizzas!

• Jeff in Charleston, SC wrote:
    22 Nov 2014 at 5:52 am

Wanted to add… Like another post said… The cheese looked like it was pre-melted when I pulled it out of the box…I tried to doctor it up with Parmesan cheese, spices, Texas Pete, etc…. I ended up tossing it in the trash…. Home Run Inn Pizza is Horrible!

• Mike S wrote:
    16 Jan 2015 at 11:05 pm

Home run in classic crust is nearly inedible. Hard and dense crust with a very strong yeast smell. The toppings were bland not very pleasing. Connie’s frozen pizza is so far superior I can’t believe they are the same food.

• Ginny wrote:
    31 Jan 2015 at 2:40 pm

I am a frozen pizza junkie. I will eat any kind of frozen pizza. Mama Rosa’s is by far the worst. It seems like people either hate HRI pizza or love it. My neighbor and my co-worker both said this was the best frozen pizza they have ever had. So, the next time I went to the grocery I bought one. To me, the toppings and cheese were very plentiful and I liked that part but there was something so nasty/funky tasting about the sauce or crust…I don’t know I just couldn’t exactly pin point it. I will try it again but from my memory I just recall it being generous with the toppings but having a strange/nasty flavor. This is coming from someone who grew up on Jenos, Totinos, and Little Caesars. I love Palermo’s, Freshcetta and Digiornio

• Katie wrote:
    11 Feb 2015 at 7:02 pm

ABSOLUTELY THE WORST PIZZA we have ever had. Agree with other posts – the box it came in tasted better than this. The actual crust tasted like dry cardboard, the sauce was awful & the cheese was flavorless. It was one hot mess. Will never eat at their restaurant if we visit Chicago…what kind of pizza joint allows the use of their name on such a horrid product?

• Greg wrote:
    19 Mar 2015 at 9:18 pm

Hated it, crust was to pastry like and sauce wasn’t good. Pepperoni was good but never again. Where is the gluten!!

• Lew wrote:
    15 Apr 2015 at 6:15 pm

Tried the Margherita with sausage — the topping was excellent! Unfortunately, the crust was inedible cardboard. I had to look twice to make sure there was not a cardboard layer under the crust. Keep trying!

• Diana wrote:
    12 May 2015 at 11:37 am

Blech! Worst frozen pizza I’ve ever had. I tried several varieties and each was barely edible. Never again.

• Greg wrote:
    26 May 2015 at 1:23 pm

I am from the Chicago area and grew up going to the 31st St. Home Run Inn. I now live in Florida, where Pizza Hut pizza is near the top of what we can get around here (yuck!). The frozen Home Run Inn pizza isn’t even close to the original product, but it is the best pizza I can get here. The crust is too crunchy, but the cheese, sauce and sausage are the best on a pizza in our area. I was extremely happy when we found the frozen Home Run Inn pizzas at our Publix grocery store. Thanks for something a little like home!

• linda wrote:
    23 Jun 2015 at 12:53 pm

I moved to Florida from Buffalo, NY. Let me tell you something! There is no good pizza in Florida!!! Thank god I found home run! My husband and I never eat frozen pizza. We don’t like it! There’s is fantastic!! We eat it 3 times a week!!

• Gibz wrote:
    18 Jul 2015 at 1:33 pm

WOW! If you enjoyed this pizza you should have your head examined.

• anon wrote:
    01 Dec 2015 at 12:29 pm

HRI is decent at best–it just seems a little better compared to the rest of the cardboard junk out there.

• Brett Anderson wrote:
    16 Mar 2016 at 1:50 am

For a frozen pizza, this is a good pizza. I’d give it 7 out of 8 for a frozen pizza.

This pizza EASILY has the most sauce I’ve ever had on a frozen pizza. Most frozen pizzas have almost no sauce.

This pizza might have the most cheese too.

But it should for the price. Most frozen pizzas are $5-$6. These pizzas are $9-$10.

You get what you pay for…

• Terry wrote:
    20 Apr 2016 at 10:51 am

We grew up eating hri pizza in Chicago on 31st street over 50 years ago.
    When their frozen pizzas came out they not bad..we winter in Florida and found that the local publix grocery store carried the frozen.
    We tried a few. The first two were the worst we ever had. The 3rd we through out. They tasted terrible and the peperoni pizza had 8 slices of peperoni on a large pizza. We e- mailed hri and of course they did not respond.
    We now buy tombstone, they are by far much better quality.

• HomeRunWeLoveYou wrote:
    25 Apr 2016 at 5:51 am

Love this pizza!
    And I’m super picky-those that complain about the lack of flavor are probably smokers who have no taste buds or are use to having their foods enhanced with MSG which this pizza does not- and no nitrates in the meat! FANTASTIC. If you cook it correctly it is perfection in a box!

• Emmanuel wrote:
    20 Jul 2016 at 1:56 pm

Absolutely loved it. Anyone who’s tried their Meat Lover’s variety and hated it doesn’t know pizza and probably think that Papa John’s is great…

Come at me.

• Lila Crawford wrote:
    01 Aug 2016 at 3:43 pm

Home run Inn meat lovers pizza is delicious. If it came in ultra thin crust it would be perfect. I love the ultra thin line, but hard to find. This is the only time I eat meat is on a home run inn pizza.

• Lila Crawford wrote:
    01 Aug 2016 at 3:46 pm

Home Run Inn meat lovers pizza is the best of any frozen pizza. If it were ultra thin it would be -perfect. This is the only time I eat meat. Please make it in ultra thin and more available.

• Terry wrote:
    10 Aug 2016 at 7:41 am

I think the pizza is great!I’ve enjoyed it along with family and friends on a game night. The Best Frozen Pizza Ever!!!

• Pasquale Cosenza wrote:
    19 Oct 2016 at 8:17 pm

This was the absolute WORST pizza I’ve ever tasted. I grew up eating home made pizza (sicilian style), and I worked, for years in an Italian restaurant, making pizza. I even owned my own place for over 25 years.
    This stuff shouldn’t even be called pizza.
    I’ve eaten pizza all over the world, this was the worst.

• Joyce Hall wrote:
    21 Oct 2016 at 7:53 am

I purchased 2 Home Run Inn pizzas at 7.99 each, followed the directions on the box, ended up with 2 burnt pizzas ! Never again. Sticking to Jacks frozen pizza

RECEIVE PIZZA REVIEWS