Assaggio del Forno Boca Raton Florida

Posted By: Pizza Expert on February 23rd, 2012
Visit Assaggio del Forno Boca Raton Florida's Website

ASSAGGIO DEL FORNO HAS CLOSED!!

So another restaurant has decided to try to succeed in the Regency Shops by Woodfield Country Club. Assaggio del Forno recently finished their build out and opened their doors to the public, at least that is what it seemed. We will get to that in a bit. Anyways, many places before Assaggio del Forno tried to survive with the discriminating clientele that tends to frequent the establishments in the Regency Shops. If you haven’t been shopping in this part of Boca Raton, in the Regency Shops, it might be worth visiting just to see how much plastic surgery could be found in one shopping center.

Once I saw the signs up for Assaggio del Forno, which is a new casual dining restaurant that will serve Neapolitan pizzas with some “artisanal” flare, as well as other Italian dishes that can be described with some chic trendy terms, I was excited to go in and try it. This was the latest restaurant to open around here from restauranteur Dennis Max.

Wanting to be one of the first to try Assaggio del Forno, I pulled into the Regency Shopping Center when I noticed the lights were on the new Assaggio del Forno Boca Raton sign itself. The place seemed happening with quite a few patrons, and even the valet parker appeared busy. So I went home and picked up my wife and anxiously headed over to Assaggio del Forno. We eventually found a spot, after having swerve around all the bentley faces who thought they had the privilege of the parking spots when they became available, and headed into this new Italian Styled Restaurant.

Upon walking in, we couldn’t help but notice how nice the decor was. Dennis Max, like Gary Rack, usually spares no expense in making sure the restaurant is alluring and comfortable. We headed over to the hostess stand, and asked for a table for two. We were asked if we had a reservation. I said no, we just passed by and decided to try the pizza. She explained to us that Assaggio del Forno wasn’t actually open yet, and there was only food for friends and family. It was more of a “soft launch” to see if the servers know what they are doing. I asked her, why the lights on the sign were turned on, if they weren’t opened? And if there were no signs on the door saying private party – invite only, why wouldn’t I think they were open? She said we would have to wait until next week and tried handing me a menu.

Assaggio del Forno I’ve got news for you. I am not coming back. In my opinion if you are having a private event, label the doors with proper signage informing prospective customers that you aren’t open to the public yet. Do not make them deal with the hectic parking lot, to walk in and first try to hand them a menu and tell them you aren’t open to the public. That is quite shady. If I am not considered a “friend” now, I do not want to be one later. You not only lost our business, but you have lost several others who have sent in messages complaining to us, who had the same exact experience we did.

Well done guys, hope these “friends and family” actually come back and support you. There is a reason many of the other places in this location have failed, and that is because of the way they treated customers. It would truly be a shame to see you guys fail after putting so much effort into the place, only to push paying customers away. It had so much promise in my eyes………

561-613-6460

3011 Yamato Road, Boca Raton, FL 33432

48 Responses to “Assaggio del Forno Boca Raton Florida”

• […] Pizza Reviews Pizza Jobs Pizza Place For SalePosted By: Pizza Expert on February 23rd, 2012 via worstpizza.comGuess they don’t need my bizMost CommentedSteve’s Wood Fired Pizza Boca RatonWho Says […]

• Rarichman wrote:

24 Feb 2012 at 11:26 am

What a crier this guy is.  He’s just bent out of shape because he wasn’t invited to the opening.  I’ve been waiting a long time to try this place and even I knew because I called – what was going on.  So try again and stop whining!

• Boca46576 wrote:

24 Feb 2012 at 12:06 pm

Is this really a review or just another internet tough guy on a rant? How can we take any review by “Pizza Expert” seriously?

24 Feb 2012 at 12:17 pm

I am definitely not a tough guy on the internet. I’m just expressing my thoughts as to what happened. There are plenty of places that don’t let you walk inside to find out the place isn’t open. That is all

24 Feb 2012 at 12:18 pm

Even if I was invited (which I usually am) I probably wouldn’t have gone since I do not want favoritism. I just wanted to go in and try some pizza that could have been good.

• Anonymous wrote:

24 Feb 2012 at 2:26 pm

Give it a week and you’ll probably calm down. there is many a time I’ve said never again only to think about it more rationally the next day or two. Especially if it’s really good, why deprive yourself over one incident that they didn’t handle well but is over with. Much easier to be mad than to forget

24 Feb 2012 at 2:52 pm

I hope so, because I am still upset by it and it has been a couple of days. If you go let me know if its worth even considering

• David L wrote:

24 Feb 2012 at 2:53 pm

Can someone please tell the Assagio del Forno Army that their shills are not invited to your website to bash you for expressing your opinion???

…Otherwise, when the place closes down in 6 months, this post will still be up here as the “most commented on”

• Heatherremington wrote:

24 Feb 2012 at 4:33 pm

Just another typical Dennis Max move. No original ideas left, so trying to ride others coattails! Good for you Lapp. Some of the best pizza in the country is just a short ride from Boca. Going to take your word for it and stay away. Keep up the good work!

• Dr. Rosen wrote:

24 Feb 2012 at 4:37 pm

I think Lapp is correct. It was not only a waste of his time but also uncomfortable to be treated like an intruder. I for one will not patronize such as establishment. Thanks for the warning

• Cubs Fan wrote:

25 Feb 2012 at 2:23 pm

You seem to have a chip on your shoulder a lot of the time. Why do you let one silly woman at the door decide how you treat an entire restaurant? She’s surely not an important player there.

• Cinditw wrote:

25 Feb 2012 at 2:36 pm

Next time I have an hour and a half to wait for my meal to arrive I will go back. If for nothing else I would be he’pressed not to want chicken that resembled shoe leather and a cold plate of pasta. The maitre was insulting and rude beyond belief. I have wattched restaurants come and go in the past years that i have lived Here. I will look on with pleasure watching them close their doors.

25 Feb 2012 at 3:09 pm

Its not that I have a chip on my shoulder. Maybe the restaurant had the chip. I just want a good experience.

25 Feb 2012 at 3:10 pm

What else did you order?

• kati wrote:

26 Feb 2012 at 8:28 am

i just need to vent – there is a new restaurant that opened in Regency in Boca called Assiago. Fare priced italian food. We popped in last night – it was about 70% full at about 6 pm. They were so RUDE and unwelcoming – I can’t shake it. They didn’t say hello. Then they led us to a table outside (no one else was sitting outside) without even asking. When we asked for an indoor table, the hostess pulled someone else over who told us we would have to sit at the pizza bar because they had so many reservations. Needless to say, we told them we lived right next door year round and walked out. I know this is mean – but I hope they feel the pain when “season” is over and they have to actually be nice to the locals…TOO MUCH ATTITUDE – bu-bye Aggiago.

• Cary wrote:

26 Feb 2012 at 1:25 pm

He WAS an intruder. He claims to be some big time critic but he’s totally clueless as to how restaurants operate. He didn’t waste his time; he was “driving by” It’s not like they have a web site that says their open and he packed up his family for a night out. This is just stupidity. According to Lapp, restaurants must clearly indicate with signage when they’re not open for business. Go by any restaurant at 4:30 that opens at 5 and its the same scenario; they’re not going to serve you until they’re open.

• FTG wrote:

27 Feb 2012 at 12:17 pm

The place wasnt open. Very simple. A lot of restaurants do soft openings exactly like this; friends and family will come for a free meal so the servers and kitchen staff can practice making and serving the food, as friends and family wont blog about a bad experience, like certain pizza experts. Get it?

27 Feb 2012 at 12:33 pm

Got it but at least notify people beforehand.

Sent From iPhone

• Mickey wrote:

27 Feb 2012 at 3:52 pm

When Grimaldi’s opened in Palm Beach Gardens I had been watching and waiting to try it.   I happened to be there 3 nights before they were scheduled to open and to my surprise the place was packed.  I walked up to the door to see if we could get a table and the very polite hostess open the door for me and stepped outside to let me know it was a friends and family practice night. She had a very apologetic tone.  We said thanks and walked away just as she was repeating herself to another would be walk in.  The point is this…they actually scheduled a hostess whose job it was to open the door, step outside and apologize for not being able to accommodate walk-ins and invite us back for the official opening.  That is how it should be done.   Lapp has every right to be annoyed by this treatment.

• Madeleine Strauss wrote:

27 Feb 2012 at 6:54 pm

The sad thing about this is that you are complaining about not getting service at a restaurant that wasn’t even open yet. And here I was, reading this, looking for comments on the food. For those of you who have never been in the restaurant industry, here’s a little “behind the curtains”: restaurants often have “friends and family nights” as part of training. That’s why the people who are invited to these “events”, dine for FREE. The goal is to train the staff with real life situations and work out any kinks before opening to the paying public.
    Perhaps you’re more upset about missing out on a free meal than anything else, because even your claim that a sign on the door would have sufficed doesn’t make any sense, as you would have never been able to read such sign from your car.

• Madeleine Strauss wrote:

27 Feb 2012 at 6:56 pm

how are they supposed to notify you beforehand? via “crystal ball”?

27 Feb 2012 at 6:57 pm

Didn’t even know it was free. I went there to pay.

Sent From iPhone

27 Feb 2012 at 7:11 pm

Valet, signs etc. not a nasty remark at hostess stand!

Sent From iPhone

• Sskolnick123 wrote:

28 Feb 2012 at 8:37 pm

no one should be upset if they did not get in.. count your money.  my husband and i just “ate” here and that is being kind. microscopic tuna in the special salad — pasta portions rediculously small — a joke really —
    stale bread and lots of noise — we spent 55.00 and are hungry.. almost
    took a toojays corn beef sandwich home… this place is a joke

• gourmetchic wrote:

29 Feb 2012 at 2:31 pm

i found this site looking for a review of the restaurant. If you didn’t even get to try the food, how can you hate it. I understand you were inconvenienced, and yes, a sign would’ve been helpful. Knowing the location of the restaurant, the heart of foofoo boca, then I wouldve inquired about reservations before schlepping to go pick up my wife. But in actuality, i’ve attended dozens of these soft openings in NYC and they didn’t have any formal notices, or any signs, etc. If you were an actual reviewer, you would know this is very common practice/

• Joe wrote:

29 Feb 2012 at 3:29 pm

I’m usually a big fan of this site, but you’re way off base on this one. Restaurants have soft openings all the time, which allow them to work out the kinks without the risk of tarnishing their reputation with customers. Could they have put a small sign on the door, yes maybe, but a small thing like this wouldn’t prevent me from giving a restaurant a chance to win me over.

I’m a big fan of all Dennis’s restaurants, mainly because of the way he handles the clients. I can’t wait to try Assagio and it’s unfortunate that a pizza lover like you won’t have the opportunity to enjoy what is sure to be a truly authentic experience.

29 Feb 2012 at 3:32 pm

My friends father is very find of the owner and trying to entice me to try it, by offering to pay for my way with him. Maybe I can change my mind :)
    Sent From iPhone

29 Feb 2012 at 3:33 pm

Every soft opening I’ve been personally on invited to had lines of defense to prevent people from getting upset like I did.
    Sent From iPhone

• Andrew D. wrote:

02 Mar 2012 at 10:45 pm

Craig you sound like a miserable human being and I pitty you. File it under sh*t happens and get over it. Signed – a Dennis Max shill.

03 Mar 2012 at 12:08 am

Have you gone? Was it good?

Sent from my iPad

• Devon3746 wrote:

04 Mar 2012 at 5:45 pm

Just read your “review” personally I think you are letting this “reviewer” status go to you head. The joint wasn’t opened and that should have been it. Your not their friend and family. As for your comments on the people and the center, stick to pizza reviews. Your comments were very insulting for no apparent reason. By the way, I got turned down for a reservation the other night and we do know that Jeff Eats is more well known than others. No big deal, the joint’s loss not mine. If I want to try it on another date I will. Your comments now make it impossible for anyone to trust a future review if you ever do one. I’ll bet you anything, that you told them you were a reviewer and couldn’t believe that they couldn’t give a rat’s ass. Maybe a red sauce joint would care but the guys who own this joint are major league players.

04 Mar 2012 at 6:08 pm

Unlike other reviewers around the area, I do not let anyone know I have a website and will review the food, before I eat and pay. So if you would like to truly place that bet, you will find yourself losing a large sum, since I’d happily take that wager.
    I call it as I see it, and if you were there and accepted the way they treated you ( as they did me ) trust me, you’d feel quite differently.
    Should I only write about positive things? Would that make my view more possible to listen to?
    Sent From iPhone

• Cubs Fan wrote:

04 Mar 2012 at 8:05 pm

By the way, what is a “Bentley face”?

04 Mar 2012 at 8:16 pm

Was a funny site someone had thought of starting a few years ago since each person with a Bentley car seems to have the same big face and hair etc.
    Sent From iPhone

• Devon3746 wrote:

05 Mar 2012 at 12:15 am

Gotta watch what you write. You said in a reply that you are often invited to pre-openings. Now why is that? You a friend? You a family member? It’s because they are buying your favor. In the 6 years Jeff eats has been around not once has a pre opening ever been accepted. So, i’ll take the bet that the pre openings you have attended knew that you had a blog, new who you were and I”ll bet most if not all of the time you closed your eyes to what you really thought.

05 Mar 2012 at 8:31 am

Jeff didn’t realize this was you when you commented before. The times I have been invited to Tastings (small pizza shops) and actually went myself instead of sending someone else, which I think once, wasn’t due to family or friend status, it was due to twitter promo. Most of the friends and family events are people on a local promo list with a pr company who seldom return and give a place business anyways. That can easily be proved by speaking to some of the previous places who paid approximately the $3500 a month to work with such local companies.
    All I wanted was to pay and eat. Really, I was excited to try it. The hostess and manager were so beyond condescending it was uncalled for. That’s what got me angry. Just put a sign or have the valet tell me or greet me at the door and tell me that you aren’t open :(
    Sent From iPhone

• CDA wrote:

05 Mar 2012 at 12:10 pm

Just wanted to say I live in the area and understand soft openings no problem with that. Had reservation for last Friday night. Great set up although I felt to close to other guest inside. Tables really close together. Opted for outside seating. Food was good but greeting staff and waiters need more trainiing. Very cold. Hostess seem surprised I had a reservation. Started to let me know that I could not get a table. Informed her of reservation, which should be asked with greeting if there was one. The waitress was definitely not friendly and had all sorts of answers for the inefficiencies. She kept dropping silverware. Once or twice is ok. Almost spilled water on my wife by putting empty plate down and almost knocking over glass. No saucer with tea. For this type of place they need to go extra step.its the neibourhood. The one thing they got right was the food. The first few days it was salty but now it’s good.despite a few fumbles with some work they can keep everyone happy.

• Susanjoyceproctor wrote:

05 Mar 2012 at 1:19 pm

If I hadn’t been a guest of other people, I would have made noise about the atrocious experience we had at the restaurant last night. The problem wasn’t with the food, which was excellent, but the abominable treatment we received from the waiter. I unfortunately didn’t get his name, but he was “serving” us the large round table near the entrance. Not only did he inform us that ALL the dishes were appetizer-sized, and we were expected to order several each, but he tried to push the foccacia on us by telling us (and I quote) that we “wouldn’t be happy” with the regular bread. We didn’t fall for any of his lies and ordered normally (and found the portion sizes to be normal, too) and were in fact very happy with the bread. But despite the quality of the food, I’m not rushing back to a restaurant that would provide offensive service of this type, which I have never encountered before at any eatery anywhere in the world. If the management is aware of these practices, they don’t deserve to stay in business. If not, they should know how poorly this person is representing them and should get rid of him ASAP.

05 Mar 2012 at 1:29 pm

Same way I felt at the door when I walked it. That’s why I was upset. I’m sure the food can be great but the manager and hostess were just not cordial.
    Sent From iPhone

05 Mar 2012 at 1:29 pm

Sent From iPhone

• Madeleine Strauss wrote:

05 Mar 2012 at 1:59 pm

The prices reflect the portion sizes, or did you expect a large bowl of pasta for $12/$13?

• Sylbeatus wrote:

31 Mar 2012 at 11:15 am

Your phones are not working.  Ringing and going on to your fax.  Are u open on Mondays?  Do you need a reservation for lunch?Sylvia 561-742-3256

31 Mar 2012 at 11:22 am

We are not the restaurant so unfortunately we cannot help you.

Sent From iPhone

• Dr. rosen wrote:

09 Apr 2012 at 6:26 pm

Ahh yeah. Considering that pasta costs pennies, I would expect a very large portion for that price. BTW, I ate in your restaurant and the food was mediocre with small portions. The attitude of your wait staff sucked. I would never go back to your overpriced crappy place.

• Dr. rosen wrote:

09 Apr 2012 at 6:30 pm

NO! Lapp is right. If the place treats customers like $hit, they deserve NO business

• […] I Said I’d Never Go Back – But I DidPosted By: Pizza Expert on April 15th, 2012 In my previous writeup about Assaggio Del Forno in Boca Raton I said “Assaggio del Forno I’ve got news for you. I […]

• Tacalabala wrote:

15 Jun 2012 at 6:59 pm

Hello, first time I bump into this review site and after reading the quite long thread about Assaggio (mainly focused on the soft opening instead than their food…), I’d simply like to make a comment. I am Italian (a real one… born and raised in Milan) and I usually despise Italian-American restaurant. I therefore tried Assaggio very skeptical. Well, ladies and gentleman, welcome to the best true Italian pizza in a 20 miles radius. You may not like it (it wouldn’t explain otherwise the incredible success of disgusting pizzas made of acid tomato sauce and fake mozzarella all over the States!), but that’s what you’d eat in my country. And, quite honestly, I’ve been there 4 times already and service was always excellent. Maybe I am just lucky.

• […] long for Assaggio Del Forno to close, maybe a couple months to be somewhat precise. After my first terrible experience there, I was certain they didn’t have what it would take to last in their location. The […]