Casola’s Pizza Miami

Posted By: Pizza Expert on January 31st, 2012
Visit Casola’s Pizza Miami's Website

Ok, here is where I make some enemies of long time readers who reside in Miami. Casola’s Pizza is not that good! Yes I know, that many of you consider this to be the Best Pizza in Miami, and will question all my other reviews and how valid they are now that I have gone against one of your favorite places, but let me show you the photos and explain. I think you might see things my way.

During a previous review from one of our trusted experts, Mike went to Casola’s Pizza and had a below average veggie slice. Yes, it was I, who told him he was nuts, that it must have been a bad day, since the last time I went to Casola’s, I enjoyed it very much, and considered Casola’s Pizza one of the best slices in Miami. Well that was until I had Slice n Ice, which is now closed.

It should be made clear, that I didn’t go to Casola’s Pizza on this day to find fault in it. I actually was down at a conference and went almost 20 minutes out of my way to hopefully enjoy the pizza there. When I went into the place, I grabbed one of the pint size pieces of their pizza they leave up on the counter for guests to enjoy while waiting for their food. Contrary to my negative demeanor when it comes to pizza, I couldn’t wait to get my slice here. That was until it came out. At that point I wish I had gone elsewhere.

Where to start….. First off there was a ridiculous amount of flour on the crust. I mean it was just excessive, and wasn’t the finest quality. When I picked the slice up, you would have thought we finally had some snow in Miami. And when I put the slice down, it actually wouldn’t lay flat due to some of the flour that fell off piling up into a mini mountain. There is nothing anyone can say to me to justify the amount of flour used. It was gross.

The slice was huge, like it usually is. Casola’s Pizza does a nice job of turning a typical 16-18 inch pie into over a 20 inch pie. The problem with stretching out your dough this much, is that if it is undercooked (like this slice was) it becomes nothing more than a wet towel. It was hard to get this slice into my mouth, even after holding with two hands, as the front kept sagging. Ultimately I ripped it off while on the tray. Remember, stretching a pie out is just an illusion, it is still the same size and amount you normally get.

Casola’s Pizza is $3,75 a slice, but considering the one slice is about the size of two (due to the stretching) I didn’t complain. Also since most of the pizza tasted great, I wouldn’t complain. When I mention the taste, I mean the sauce and the cheese, since the crust wasn’t too tasty with all the flour. The flimsy slice, also had an abundance of outer crust, making the slice also seem much bigger than it really was.

Casola’s, just because you are busy, doesn’t mean you should rush out the pies and take your loyal patrons for granted. You are busy because of the quality you used to provide, and that could quickly change if you don’t keep up your original ways.

Although I know I shouldn’t discuss things unrelated to pizza, but this was just too comical. I asked the girl at the register (who I guess didn’t believe in learning proper English) if they have French Fries with Mozz Cheese. I further asked if the fries were homemade or just frozen crappy ones. She told me they were fresh cut and that they could put mozz cheese on them. Well look what they gave me. The fries with cheese were fries with a side of cheese. The guy who handed me told me “we don’t bake it on”. Nice customer service guys.

Casola’s Pizza gets 4 out of 8 slices for this visit. If they didn’t have so many things against them, this could easily be one of the best pizza slices in Miami. They have a long way to go.

• Hours

Delivery

• ATM

Parking

Address
    2437 Southwest 17th Avenue Miami, FL 33145

King Of Oven

23 Responses to “Casola’s Pizza Miami”

• Ovature wrote:

01 Feb 2012 at 2:16 pm

As far as I am concerned, the pizza sucks in S. Fla and I have yet to find one place that I would call outstanding

• Dredns71 wrote:

02 Feb 2012 at 11:06 pm

guys, i know everyone probably claims theirs is the best, but ive been pretty much all over the country and have also had pizza while in several different countries…the pizza in the rockford/chicago area is the best ive ever had in my life by FAR, nothing else has ever even come close, no comparison. im talking about “real” pizza, the stuff they make in the small family owned italian restaurants, the “authentic italian” restaurants. the flavor of the crust and cheese, the thickness of the pizza, even the flavor of the sauce…..its indescribable. some places suck sure but im generalizing

• Matt wrote:

06 Feb 2012 at 8:53 am

I agree family owned, real Italian is the best.  I order Lou Malnattis frozen and shipped in.  It’s the best Chicago style I have ever had.

• The Brickell Seahawk wrote:

12 Mar 2012 at 11:19 pm

They do not offer cheese fries.  You asked for extra mozzarella cheese.  They gave you extra mozzarella cheese.  You then placed it on top of the pizza, and are trying to sell it off like they gave it to you like that.   You sir or madam are a LIAR.  Where on the menu are there “cheese fries”, genius?

I am Mitt Romney, and I approve Casola’s Pizza.

13 Mar 2012 at 6:06 am

I specifically asked for French fries with baked mozzarella cheese

Sent From iPhone

• The Brickell Seahawk wrote:

13 Mar 2012 at 12:41 pm

You can’t go to a restaurant, ask for something they don’t have and then get mad at the restaurant.  That’s crazy.

13 Mar 2012 at 12:50 pm

She said she had them. I verified it with the girl!

Sent From iPhone

• The Brickell Seahawk wrote:

13 Mar 2012 at 1:00 pm

So then why did you place some of the mozzarella on top of the slice?

Did you ask to speak with the manager?  I guarantee you the manager would have rectified the situation.  Instead you create a doctored picture to support your critique?

• The Brickell Seahawk wrote:

13 Mar 2012 at 1:05 pm

In fact, just answer me this question:  How did the majority of the cheese get melted on the pizza, and not those that were sprinkled on?

13 Mar 2012 at 1:19 pm

Bottom line they could have done it or the counter girl should have advised otherwise
    Sent From iPhone

13 Mar 2012 at 1:19 pm

The photo was not doctored and get this. The manager handed me the tray and said “no we don’t make it like that here”
    Sent From iPhone

• The Brickell Seahawk wrote:

13 Mar 2012 at 2:45 pm

Your a liar and you know it.  Casolas is a family run business and they would NOT have responded like that.  Ultimate Restaurant Critique Fail.
     You doctored the photo.  And you know it.  Good luck in life liar.Stick to your day job Craig.

13 Mar 2012 at 2:54 pm

Ummm I wish I could doctor the photo that good. It’s ok that you don’t believe me. You probably believe in unicorns instead.
    Sent From iPhone

• Matts Pizza wrote:

14 Mar 2012 at 12:12 am

Yes you can.  I often ask for something special.  If they can do it they say yes.  If not, they say no.

• Bruce wrote:

19 Mar 2012 at 11:16 pm

Don’t let him upset you, Craig.  This guy posted a highly-innapropriate comment on a news article on the Sanford-shooting Monday and I Googled him to see who and what he was and if he had popped-up anywhere else.  That brought me here.  It’s what he does.  Happy pizza!

20 Mar 2012 at 6:54 am

Thanks for sharing. I don’t get people like that!

Sent From iPhone

• Steve wrote:

01 Apr 2012 at 3:52 am

hey your pizza blog is very good. I like your critique in things not like many food critiques who give all pizza’s thumbs up. But if you ever get the chance to go on a Military base most of them have a pizza place called Anthony’s Pizza. It is not a international or state wide chain it is made for the military members and their family. it is one of the best pizza’s i have ever had. hence their slogan: the world’s best. im not sure if every base has it im currently stationed overseas but if you ever have a chance give it a shot.

keep up the good work

01 Apr 2012 at 7:51 am

Do you have photos you could email?

Sent From iPhone

• Peter R. Hernandez wrote:

18 Jun 2012 at 4:22 pm

This Pizza Blows. Overrated Overhyped Crap!

• Peter R. Hernandez wrote:

18 Jun 2012 at 4:23 pm

Steve’s Pizza on 123rd and Biscayne!

• Javilavw wrote:

22 Jun 2012 at 9:40 am

I remeber going to this place when I was 15 ( Now 30 :oP ) and I FREAKING LOVED THEIR PIZZA. Its been about 3 years since I’ve had their slice. Kind of disappointed on the blog that they are not like they use to be. I will make another stop and hopefully this is still my favorite pizza in the world :)
    And  P.S. their Garlic rolls were amazing as well

• Pizza Mama wrote:

18 Jan 2013 at 7:17 pm

I’m sorry but I have to disagree. I still think this is some of the best pizza in Miami. I’m sure you can find an expensive gourmet pizza thats better, but if you’re on a budget, you seriously cannot beat this pizza. My only complaint, actually, is that they don’t accept credit cards in person. But it’s still worth a trip to the ATM!

• Scott in Ft. Lauderdale wrote:

27 Mar 2013 at 10:34 am

I do that, too! Great deep dish!