Scuola Vecchia Pizza Delray Beach, FL

Posted By: Pizza Expert on July 30th, 2011
Visit Scuola Vecchia Pizza Delray Beach, FL's Website

It seems like there is a new pizza place opening up everywhere you look in Delray Beach, FL. After reading a recent article in a local publication, I guess it isn’t just pizza places, but restaurants in general. I think something like over 80% of businesses opening on Atlantic Avenue in Delray Beach, are restaurants, so I guess we shouldn’t single out pizza here. However, a new pizzeria called Scuola Vecchia just opened, and the City of Delray Beach should be quite thankful!

I heard about Scuola Vecchia through my friend Bruce, who said he found a new “old school” styled pizza place that opened up on Atlantic Ave, that could be a contender as one of the best pizza places down here in South Florida. Bruce knows how serious I take a claim like that, and normally I go into a pizzeria after hearing such outrageous reviews, thinking the worse. Man, did Scuola Vecchia prove my stereotyping wrong. When you enter Scuola Vecchia, you feel like you went into a heavenly white place, with spotless counters, floors and tables. I actually think if I had white gloves on, they could have passed the test (outside of bruce spilling his drink on the table). Shaun and Sharon Aloisio opened this hard to pronounce, and even harder to type pizzeria in Delray Beach only a few months ago. They saw the need for a truly traditional Neapolitan Pizzeria to open in this region, and decided to realize their dreams, and open one here. Check out my full review below:

Italians. Just saying that makes you think of food. Maybe the French have perfected complicated culinary delights. But the Italians? The Italians have perfected food. For many people like myself, to perfect the art of food is to make the perfect pizza. I may not know how to make it, but I sure do know how to eat it.

It’s tempting to say that Scuola Vecchia’s pizza is perfection because it is perfectly authentic Naples, Italy pie. That’s the easy way out, though. It tells you nothing, only that the pizza they serve is probably authentic to Naples and that some people might be pretentious about the fact that authentic is the only way to go. Be honest. Nobody believes the word “authentic” anymore. It’s clichÈ.

So let’s just look at pizza. There’s a lot of it here in South Florida and much of it is pretty good food. So what, besides claimed authenticity, makes Sculoa Vecchia somehow different?

Simple. It’s really, really good pizza made in a very unique way and with very traditional, well-considered ingredients.

The basis of great pizza is the crust. Thick or thin, it must be excellent or the rest of the pie will fail. The crust under a pizza made by Shaun Aloisio (co-owner and chef at Scuola Vecchia) is beyond perfect. Then on top of that go the ingredients ñ all fresh, all Italian, all the best you can get.

Is it authentic Napoli pizza? I couldn’t tell you and honestly, I couldn’t care less. It’s great pizza. That’s what matters.

A big reason for that is that everything that comes out of the kitchen at this eatery is hand made from fresh ingredients. Even the salad tastes like someone just walked out into the garden and cut the ingredients and put them in a bowl for you. Then comes the cake.

If you’ve never had flourless chocolate cake before or if you’ve only had the kind that comes in the freezer, then you must go to Scuola Vecchia and have this. It’s the only thing I’ve ever eaten that made me think that maybe I should give up reviewing pizza and move on to desserts instead.

The restaurant itself is upscale and very Italian. As are all of the people working in it. It’s co-owned by chef Shaun Aloisio and his mother Sharon. The menu is filled with excellent Italian choices, most focused on pizza or complements to the pie. I didn’t see a pie on the menu I wouldn’t want to try.

Everything about this restaurant is excellent. From their fire oven pizza to their heaven sent dessert, you won’t go wrong trying this Delray Beach eatery.

Scuola Vecchia in Delray Beach gets a strong 7 out of 8 slices.

522 East Atlantic Avenue Delray Beach, FL 33483

27 Responses to “Scuola Vecchia Pizza Delray Beach, FL”

• Shop wrote:

31 Jul 2011 at 1:49 am

I eat Scuola Vecchia Pizza almost EVERY DAY, and have not eaten ANY OTHER pizza since my first bite of my first “Padrino” pizza!  By far the best pizza that I have ever eaten & if I ever find a better tasting pizza i’d imagine it would be far away in Naples.  The Cappuccinos are to die for & a great change from the “usual” SB’s coffee.  Last but not least, the desserts are AMAZING & made fresh daily.  The Terra Masou is killer and compliments the nutella dessert pizza which is out of this world!!!
    BEST AUTHENTIC NEAPOLITAN PIZZA  IN FLORIDA HANDS DOWN. If you don’t like Scuola Vecchia’s pizza, you had better get your taste buds looked at by a specialist ASAP, because your taste is gone!!!!!

• Kunkart01 wrote:

31 Jul 2011 at 4:54 pm

I ate there last night….your recommendation was great! I think I found my new favorite spot in Delray Beach!!!!

• ZPopcorn wrote:

04 Aug 2011 at 1:34 pm

While visiting the Fort Lauderdale area, We ventured up to Atlantic Ave. And came across Scvola Vecchia. What an enjoyable experience. The service was excellent. wE found the help to be very friendly and accomidating. I was given a recommendation of a white wine from Sicily which really suited my taste.
    The pizza was light and satisfying. Atmosphere was pleasant and also very clean-looking which is important to me. Almost forgot to mention the desserts.
    Yea I tried two… They were delicious……
    Would I return…….. In a heartbeat.

Karen from Pennsylvania…..

• AlexiaABR wrote:

07 Aug 2011 at 3:14 am

No question… This is THE BEST pizza for MILES around! Oven’s direct from Sicily, recipe’s have Napolese origins, crust, sauce, toppongs, flavor… PERFECTION!

Forget all that Ray’s/Ray’s Original/Famous whoever b*lls*it. THIS IS BOMB PIZZA the way it has been meant to be served since the beginning of time, wait I mean pizza, no, time…. It doesn’t matter… Just RUN to get yours!!!!

• JPANAMERABOCA wrote:

08 Aug 2011 at 3:47 pm

Very solid place. I rate it in my Top 3 in So. Florida.  The one thing that I think could make them a perfect a+ would be to make the sauce a little more savory. while it is very clean, pure, and tasty…a little bit of “make me wanna come back tomorrow” will make this fave spot into MY favorite spot. 🙂

• Rspanu wrote:

09 Aug 2011 at 11:56 pm

It is true this pizza is just like Italy, what a breath of fresh air!!! Great place thanks for opening in delray

• Dr. Rosen wrote:

20 Aug 2011 at 3:06 am

I was actually disappointed with this place. I thought the sauce was bland and insufficient even though I asked for extra and didn’t get cheese. I tasted crust and little else even though I got tomatoes and basil. The crust was doughy even though it was well done. I don’t understand the rave review. I thought it was below average, overpriced, and mediocre.

20 Aug 2011 at 2:38 pm

I Hope you can give them another try. I have gone back several times and really liked it. The crust tastes in my opinion how a truly Neoplolitan pie should.

• […] pizzeria to ‘wow’ me in Florida. My expectations in this state are pretty low, but when I saw WorstPizza’s positive review about a pizza place on Atlantic Avenue in Delray Beach, I had to check it out. Jon was in town one […]

• Dr. Rosen wrote:

26 Aug 2011 at 2:40 pm

Maybe next time they will listen to me when I say extra sauce and not be so cheap with the ingredients. it seems like they want to give you absolutely nothing for your money except crust. Trying to get a little extra sauce was like pulling teeth. As far as I am concerned, they ripped me off. The pizza in the box weighed almost nothing. The whole thing was a joke. Even though I was quite specific about what I wanted, they simply ignore me and went into this little speech about how they don’t modify pizzas. That means they care more about doing it their way instead of what the customer wants. Their way seams to be to cheap out on ingredients and give the customer nothing for his money. I was shocked at the tiny portion of cherry tomatoes they used too. I feel completely cheated and ripped off.

• Dr. Rosen wrote:

26 Aug 2011 at 2:58 pm

If they wouldn’t be so cheap with the ingredients and give you something for your money besides crust it might actually be good. Bases on my one visit there, I would rate it as 3 or 4 out of 8. I was very disappointed. $14 for nothing as far as I am concerned.

• Dr. Rosen wrote:

26 Aug 2011 at 2:59 pm

This sounds like a comment written by the owner or a best friend; not something objective.

• Taken wrote:

10 Sep 2011 at 10:01 pm

Wow, all I can think about and say is, profound disappointment. This place blows. I want to punch you in the face for recommending it, blows. I saw the pizzas were tiny so I ordered two. Two pizzas at sixteen bucks a piece and me only moderately full after eating both = me feeling very taken. You have turned me on to some great pizza the last couple years but you giving this place 7 out of 8 slices, when I struggle seeing 4, is insane.  Makes me wonder about all these other places you write about that I was going to try. Your credibility is shot with me now.

10 Sep 2011 at 10:08 pm

So sorry you didn’t care for this place. I’ve been back several times and enjoyed the pizza I was served. Which pie did you get? Was the taste bad too? Or just the price and size

• Rellenton wrote:

16 Nov 2011 at 3:53 pm

http://www.scuolavecchiapizzeria.com this is the best pizza i have ever eaten. go try. You will like it!!!!!!

• Tmuskwxx wrote:

11 Dec 2011 at 2:44 pm

I have to agree, the pizza is totally authentic wince i have been to Naples and it is just like it !!

The big problem is the price, for the size of the pizza it should cost a lot less, just because it’s on Atlantic Ave doesn’t mean it should cost double.

They should lower the prices or do a groupon and then they will see a lot more business !!

• ChazDelray wrote:

03 Jan 2012 at 6:54 am

“Dr Rosen” really needs to take a look at this article.

If you want world-class pizza with world-class ingredients… check out Scuola Vecchia.

If you want to stuff your face for 5 bucks… go somewhere else.

• Ovature wrote:

27 Jan 2012 at 11:52 pm

I agree. I think this place sucks. The pizza was tiny and hardly filling. I also thought Tucci in Boca sucks too which was also highly recommended.

28 Jan 2012 at 8:59 am

Sorry you guys didn’t like it. I went back several times and enjoyed it so with review I am standing by my 7. It is however a different pie as it is Napolitano style. If you aren’t used to it, I could see how it might not be as good to you.
    Sent From iPhone

• Allan Rosen wrote:

07 Mar 2012 at 3:49 am

OH BS!! They give you nothing for $14; it’s not even enough to feed a child. I got doughy crust, very little sauce and not much of anything else. This was a bigger rip off than micro slice Steve in Boca IMO. On top of that, they are arrogant about their little pies. TOTAL TIP OFF IMO!

• JAS23 wrote:

24 Mar 2012 at 10:26 am

If you go to Naples, Italy, where pizza originated, then you will find the exact same pizza. They do a great job of providing Neapolitan pizza with fresh ingredients. Why would they modify their over 100 year tradition of making pizza just for you?

• PazzoItalian wrote:

12 May 2012 at 7:32 pm

Dr. Rosen,
    It sounds like you know your Pizza.
    I have a pizzeria in Delray’s Pineapple Grove on NE 3rd ave. 3 blocks north of Brus room give me a call would love your opinion.

Iggy…561-455-4327

• Kiloc83 wrote:

01 Jun 2012 at 8:53 am

I live on Atlantic Ave. For the most part the restarants are over priced for quite average food.  32 East is good, Brule is decent, beyond that its slim pickins.  However, as far as Pizza goes, and i know my Pizza ( family business for over 30 years).  Sazio is Spot on!!!  SOO tasty, perfect dough, crust, and creativity in their pies, MUAH!  I’v tried Scuola Vecchia but was not overly impressed and again fell back into my over priced and under wow’ed Atlantic Ave perception.

Love the cozy lil spot and hope they make it, but my heart belongs to another. Sazio

01 Jun 2012 at 9:07 am

For $9.50 I think they are a great deal for the quality. Most charge $12.50 for the same.
    Sent From iPhone

• Cajunghans wrote:

19 Jul 2012 at 3:35 pm

The Pizza is amazing ! If you like Pizza hut, Dominos, Papa Johns, and the other chains you will not like Scuola Vecchia — if you have been to Italy you will love Scuolu Vecchia — the pizza is prepared beautifully. The taste is as close to real Italian pizza that you will ever find outside of Italy.  The owners have a real gem and we are fortunate they opened in Delray. Do yourself a favor and go to this restaurant. The pizza is just about perfect. A wonderful meal a fantastic pizza awaits you.  Just go.

• payupwedid wrote:

23 Sep 2012 at 9:18 pm

sean the owner is a dead beat loser scumbag.. cant wait to see his face, stop hiding behind ur mom

• DelrayFoodie wrote:

26 Feb 2013 at 12:59 pm

Before Carolina’s closed due to a fire, there were 2 places to get acceptable pizza in Delray–now we’re down to just Scuola Vecchia. While slightly pricey, I don’t think of or eat any other pizza when I’m in Delray. Now, I know Dr Rosen must like a bargain or have hit on the owners and got snubbed, but appreciating good simple Italian cuisine doesn’t make it onto his radar except by accident. Dr Rosen- stick with Papa John’s!