Nick’s APizza Boca Raton – New Haven Style Pizza

Posted By: Pizza Expert on August 12th, 2010
Visit Nick’s APizza Boca Raton – New Haven Style Pizza's Website

Just got word that Nick’s APizza (pronounced abeets)is going to open up in Boca Raton near the Five Guys and Hooters.  Not sure of the actual date yet since I am unable to contact anyone so far.

For those of you who don’t know pizza, Nick’s makes its pizza in a style called “New Haven”.  Some of the best pizza joints in the country are located in New Haven, near Yale University, so it seems like it is the latest phrase to try to make your pizzeria stand out from the rest.  Sally’s Modern and Pepe’s are just to name that reside in New Haven.

You see New Haven style differs from New York Style and regular style since they use dough, sauce and cheese.  I guess none of the rest of the pizza places around use these ingredients as the basis of their recipes to call themselves APizza.

I guess what New Haven means is that it is thin, ultra crispy when it comes to the crust, and coal-fired. Some equate New Haven to White Clam Pizza which has no tomato sauce. Sounds to me like a fancy name for Brick Oven Pizza though. We will see if having APizza in your name compared to just regular Pizza makes for a better pie. Hopefully it will, cause I could use a really good pizza closer to my house!

Ste 800, 2240 Northwest 19th Street, Boca Raton, FL 33431-7385

18 Responses to “Nick’s APizza Boca Raton – New Haven Style Pizza”

• Pat wrote:

13 Aug 2010 at 1:34 pm

I wonder if they are moving from Lake Worth or just “closed their store for the summer. They do make a great clam pie. Hope to try it again.

13 Aug 2010 at 1:55 pm

I kept trying to call the store to discuss it with them, but never got an answer….

• fortytwo wrote:

15 Aug 2010 at 6:36 pm

Both NY Style and Chicago Style use dough sauce and cheese, but you have to admit they make for a different pizza. I love New Haven Style, usually because its good. And a I like a good clam pie as well. New haven Style doesn't require coal oven, and it is not NY Brick Oven, its just delicious 🙂

• LDub4ever wrote:

15 Aug 2010 at 9:06 pm

I would visit the one in Lake Worth but a) they are closed for the summer, and b) they don't accept American Express.

• Hunter w/ Nick's Apizza! wrote:

17 Aug 2010 at 9:04 pm

Hello everyone!! My Name is Hunter & I am the manager of our Lake Worth location. First I want to thank worstpizza.com for noticing & writing a little story on our new location in Boca. And yes, I said NEW!! So for all of you who know & love New Haven style pizza & those who have not yet had the opportunity, you will now have TWO locations to enjoy at. We are hoping to open Boca by January 2011 & our Lake Worth location will be reopening (closed for out of season) September 15th, 2010. And no, putting “Apizza” in the name doesn't make for a better pie. The delicious always fresh ingredients, the thickness & taste of the crust, & the brick oven used to cook the pie is what makes for a better pizza! I assure you pizza expert, if you've been looking for a really good pizza place… you've found the best! So, to pizza expert, the city of Boca & all pizza lovers near & far, we invite you to be our guests at our new location in Boca Raton early 2011! And of course, if you can't wait till then to have the best pizza of your life, join us in Lake Worth Sept 15th, 2010. We look forward to having you!

• sean ryan wrote:

11 Nov 2010 at 11:41 pm

Nicks closed for the Winter last year- Nick had a resteraunt right across the st (on Wooster St) from Sally and Pepes. Thje Pizzas amazing. Thank God you came to FL

• sean ryan wrote:

11 Nov 2010 at 11:43 pm

One in Boca sposed to open in Dec- Fingers crossed.

• Lou Laudano wrote:

15 May 2011 at 3:24 am

I’ve been to Nick’s Apizza in New Haven, Conn. located in the Italian section of New Haven on Wooster Street. Nick’s Pizza is the best pizza I have ever tasted.
    Once you try Nick’s pizza, you will keeping going back.   Lou Laudano, N.H. Ct.

• John Santo wrote:

22 Jun 2011 at 9:53 pm

I like Tucci’s and Anthony’s in Boca, I will try Nick’s Apizza as soon as they open. I never heard of a buisness closing for the winter in Florida, did the Lake Worth store go out of buisness? In Florida for every 10 new Restaurants that open up each year only 3 survive. I will let you all know about the Apizza soon.

22 Jun 2011 at 9:59 pm

Seems they closed the Lake Worth location and are building out in Boca Raton scheduled to open July.  They already are spending thousands to try to get the word out so I hope they don’t blow through their budget with the PR company they are using.

• Food57 wrote:

02 Aug 2011 at 10:59 pm

Terrible mistake

• Suppermanjr wrote:

04 Aug 2011 at 3:11 pm

evey review you write is scathing and unjust maybe you should stop eating pizza since you obviously don’t like any made here in Florida go back to wherever it is you are from and eat there we don’t need your snotty comments since you have no idea what you are talking about. No I do not work here or any other pizza place but your tastes are pretty bad

• Weinbrotjack wrote:

07 Aug 2011 at 11:24 pm

Comming from Brooklyn where Pizza was invented i thought I had tasted the best.  Nicks Apizza has them beat.  Crisp dough on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside.  Just the right amount of sauce and cheese.  I hope none of my Brooklyn friends find out about this review I could be in serious trouble.  The only downside is the cost fo there drafts at 5.75.  Lower the price or do twofers and you would be perfect.  Ill be back either way just skip the beer.

• M2 wrote:

20 Aug 2011 at 4:52 pm

Ate there last night…great pizza!!!

• Robertino wrote:

23 Aug 2011 at 12:31 am

AS a native of CT I had to try Nicks in boca week 1.  The place is done up nice to the eye, full bar, etc.  The pizza was amazing, hands down the best pizza in florida,, remided me of CT. The only thing missing was Mich on tap and some blarring music. lol. The service needs to step there game up in a major way. The girls looked like they had it together, the guys didnt know there left from there right,,  they offered no suggestions, didnt offer anthing from the bar and seremed scared,,  Im not sure whats foing to happen come the 1st week of nov. when there on a 45 min wait,,,  one this in this town   1 bad service exp and the herad of cows will go elsewhere,,,  other than that a very well put together menu, a true culinary treasure within this culinary wasteland of south florida.

• apizzaman wrote:

06 Sep 2011 at 4:16 am

Looks and sounds good to me…I am a ol school chef and when I was 18 I worked on Wooster street in New Haven at the the very best..Frank Pepe’s and all I can tell you is New haven style Apizza is the best…check out the Forbes food report of bucket list of the top 50 places to eat before you die…all 5 star dining!..not quite, at number 31 and it’s the only one is Frank Pepe’s Apizza yeah I am Apizza eater from way back and if Nick’s is doing New Haven style then he’s got my support!!! so go and eat it and quit talking about it!!

• Karen wrote:

24 Sep 2011 at 4:27 am

Pizza is very good!!  Music is way to loud !!!!!

• Joe Bub wrote:

17 Nov 2012 at 6:04 pm

Nick’s is very close to New Haven’s Modern and Pepe’s apizza but in reality it is not the same. A very close second and much better than any other pizzeria in FL. I guess it really is all in the water. And also, although the ovens are heated with coal, the New Haven ovens are different. I think they must have been grandfathered in because they’re so old creating that unique taste. As for price, yeah it is expensive but they have soda, hot dogs and sausage that they get from CT so of course it will be more. Worth the extra money in my opinion. Funny, people will pay $25.00 for Papa Johns or the like and think that is pizza. If you’re from the New Haven area, you will appreciate what I have to say. If not, it doesn’t mean much. Grab your favorite pie and call it Christmas!