Grande Pizza Co. Boca Raton

Posted By: Pizza Expert on July 11th, 2010
Visit Grande Pizza Co. Boca Raton's Website

Ed note:  Make sure to check out our updated review of Grande Pizza here.

A new pizza place recently opened up in Boca Raton on 18th street, where Times Square Pizza once lay. I knew it was a matter of time for Times Square Pizza to close. For some strange reason, the previous owner sunk a ton of money into the place, expanded it, and decorated it with modern 1980’s booths.

We had heard several times it was for sale, as many prospective buyers would email us to see why we didn’t like the pie there. None seemed to pull the trigger, which led me to believe the place was way overpriced. Recently someone actually bought the store and renamed it Grande Pizza Co. Grande apparently has 4 other locations around Florida, some with different names though.

Upon walking in, I wasn’t too impressed with what they did to the place. As you pass through the narrow entry, the pizza counter is to the right, leading to the cash register. As you veer to the left, all you can notice is this huge bar that they custom built, which takes up plenty of space. I was a bit perplexed….is this a pizza place or a sports bar? Will they be serving bar pies as well as their regular pies? Why else have this bar in the center?

While walking past the counter, I noticed that the regular slices were very thick, and the crust did not look appetizing to me. When we sat down, it was mutually agreed that we would order their Sicilian pizza since:

1. The waitress told me it was the best she had ever had

2. The regular looked so thick that it didn’t appear to be something I would like

3. They advertise Grande Cheese being used, and it tastes great on Sicilian

After waiting a short amount of time for the pie to get cooked, and listening to some of the annoying customers complain about their slice taking too long to come and that they should have it for free (I think restaurants should be allowed to have age limits on their patrons, since past 80, everything seems to be worth arguing over), our smoking pie came to the table. Immediately I mentioned to Andy that this pie was undercooked.  He wasn’t certain since the crust was pretty well done. After both trying a slice we sent it back to go into the over for a few minutes more.  The crust was in fact, almost burnt, but the cheese hardly melted and the sauce was still cool. Something tells me that Grande hasn’t learned to cook a pie with their ovens at this location yet.  Grande Cheese cooks differently then your average Sysco brand.  They should lower their temperature and let the pie cook longer.  It is also recommended that they spin the pie around to cook evenly since even upon the second try of our pie, half was burnt and the other cooked regularly.

The cheese was great, like Grande always is, but it tasted like I was eating cheesy bread at some points. The inner crust tasted like bread, and the outer part was too light. I normally enjoy airy Sicilian inside the crust, but this wasn’t at all what it should have been.  The sauce had very little taste to it, and what I did taste, did not blow me away.

Grande, instead of focusing on remodeling the place, and spending tons of money on the interior of this location, I think you would be better off spending time and efforts on perfecting your pie and how it cooks. It would be a shame to see another place fail in this location, and you have some stiff competition from Cilluffo’s Pizza across the street which makes a great slice. We listened to what other patrons were saying about the pizza to us, and all seemed to think the best part of this pizza is the cheese.  We are happy to help you perfect your recipe in hopes of seeing you survive!

Grande Pizza Co. gets 4 out of 8 slices.

(561) 347-2344‎

6006 Southwest 18th Street, Boca Raton, FL 33433

21 Responses to “Grande Pizza Co. Boca Raton”

• FAU Girl wrote:

14 Jul 2010 at 4:23 am

They must be doing something right considering they have more than one location. I also heard they were planning on opening a few more. How many do you own??

• Postman wrote:

15 Jul 2010 at 3:56 pm

Just b/c you have more then 1 location doesn't mean your doing something right maybe he has a good backer $$$$. P.S. didn't 1 or more of his locations down south close recently???

• FAU Girl wrote:

15 Jul 2010 at 4:19 pm

Your right about having more THAN not then one location, it doesn't matter how many. But, when these people have been in this business for more than 30 years, I believe they do know what they're doing. I've been to several of their locations, and the food has been outstanding in all. So how many locations does this PIZZA EXPERT have? That's all I really wanted to know.

15 Jul 2010 at 5:04 pm

I personally do not own any pizza joints since it would impact my reviews of other places. I am not saying that Grande is awful, I just think they need to learn to cook the pies better.

Just because you buy several locations does not make you good! Are you saying Domino's is good cause they have so many locations?

• LJ23 wrote:

15 Jul 2010 at 7:06 pm

grande pizza is great!!!!!!! i love it 🙂

some people have different preferences in pizza.. so i think its only right for people to try the pizza themselves & then they can be the judge of if they like it or not.. hopefully no one gets let down by reading this review because honestly its great pizza.

• FAU Girl wrote:

15 Jul 2010 at 7:14 pm

Like I said in my previous comment, you are right about the number of locations, it doesn't matter. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. The reason I commented was because I felt it was kind of unfair to judge and post articles on places based on your personal experience. I also believe you have favoritism for certain places such as Tuccis because you know the owner. I hope you give all of the places you've tried a second chance. 🙂

15 Jul 2010 at 7:36 pm

I even say in the about us section not to avoid a place cause we don't like it. Everyone has their own tastes. I do show favoritism to Tucci's, but primarily cause I think they have some of the best pizza around. The only Alberto and I have become friendly, strictly due to his pizza, and willingness to try new marketing techniques.

• Piezan (Owner of Grande Pizza) wrote:

15 Jul 2010 at 7:42 pm

FYI – We would like for you to know that we've been in business since 1979 in South Florida, and we've opened over a dozen places and never closed one. If your referring to our location on Cleary Blvd., we consolidated that location with our other location on Sunrise Blvd. because they were a less than a mile apart. As far as having a “good backer $$,” we've been in business over 30 years and we don't need anyone to BACK us. Everybody is entitled to there own opinion and we do respect that. We just wish the reviewer would have given us a little bit of time to clear the kinks of the new staff and adjust to our new store. Other than that, I wish everyone well and success!!

15 Jul 2010 at 8:00 pm

Oh we will definitely be back for a review of the regular slice there. One of our other reviewers went in to try the food to see if he had a different opinion than Andy and I, and he found the regular to be much better then the Sicilian we tried below.

• Coralea62 wrote:

15 Jul 2010 at 10:24 pm

NewYorkGirl well if I might say so myself I went in to Grande the 2nd day they opened and since then I go in or order for delivery at least 2 times a week, it has got to be one of the best pizza's I have eaten since I came to fla. 26yrs ago I have recommended it to several friends and they feel the same way and all of us have had the best of best pizzas in NY and let me tell you Grande is right up there, and to the owners we want to wish you the best of luck

• Mike wrote:

15 Jul 2010 at 10:39 pm

@FAU girl I personally have to agree with you on 1 point Craig is partial toward Tucci's but there's nothing wrong with that but in my opinion that is a completly different style of pizza then mine (Amato's Pizza) and I also hope Craig will stop by again and try my so called cheap flour (All Trump)pizza!!!

• angela wrote:

16 Jul 2010 at 12:50 am

i love amatos .. as well as grande!

• Joe wrote:

16 Jul 2010 at 9:50 pm

If these guys(owners of worst pizza) think for one second they have a fucking clue about good or bad pizza think again!

17 Jul 2010 at 2:50 pm

So you are saying based on my photo that this looks like great pizza? If you truly think so, then I really don't give a crap what else you have to say about pizza.

I am sure they make good food, but on this day they did not. Just face it and accept the criticism.

• Lew Spectre wrote:

21 Jul 2010 at 1:45 pm

• Andy wrote:

21 Jul 2010 at 1:58 pm

After reading the bickering below, I will not go back to try the pizza. We tried what the waitress said was the “best pizza” that Grande offered. Instead of inviting us to come back and try something else, they are quick to offer excuses. We are here to help you promote your business.

• morewillie wrote:

21 Jul 2010 at 2:08 pm

That cheese looks delicious – It's not too early for pizza is it?

• Jess wrote:

26 Jul 2010 at 3:29 am

Well, from my understanding of this whole situation is that the worst pizza guys dont even get invited in the first place. I guess you should just go back again anyways.. Also, I know they opened recently and maybe the waitress that worked there really didnt know much about the food either. I personally have been to their Margate location called Annies and I always get the round pizza and its great! Maybe you should try the round if you decide to go back or if you decide to go to the location in Margate!!

• #12 wrote:

11 Aug 2010 at 11:59 pm

I worked for the first owners of Annie's in Margate for years and have lived in Margate for over 20 years. To this day people come up and tell me it's not nearly as good.

• […] would seem logical that after my previous experience at Grande Pizza in Boca Raton, that I wouldn’t even chance going back there. Usually if a […]

• DBinBoca wrote:

30 Nov 2010 at 2:34 pm

We have been there several times since July. We enjoy the pizza and have tried several things on the menu. The chicken wings are good. Salads are fresh and crisp. However, the wait staff is not very knowlegable and quick to jump to the defensive and make excuses if there is a problem. Owner seems to be the same way. Never seem to have a consistent price for happy hour beers or the time of happy hour or the price for the pitchers of beer. We have been charged from $4.00 to $20.00 for the same pitcher of beer. Why?
    We have sent pizzas back because the cheese was not melted and the crust did not look done even after we ordered them well done. Eggplant parm is boring and tasteless.
    Our last visit, we just ordered takeout. Had a coupon for a 2 topping pizza. When we got home, there was only one topping on the pizza even though it was on the ticket. When we called to let them know, whoever answered the phone was not pleasant and basically said “Well what do you want me to do about it?” We are repeat customers and want them to do well. We live within walking distance. I doubt we will return if the service does not improve.