Tony’s “Party Time” Crispy Crust Frozen Pizza

Went bottom fishing in the frozen pizza section of my grocery store the other day, and reeled in some Tony’s “New” Crisp Crust Pizza. Tony’s is one of the brands (along with Freschetta and Red Baron) manufactured by the Schwan’s Food Company of Minnesota. Schwans started the same year I was born, delivering ice cream […]

1 / 8
Slice Rating

Tony’s “Party Time” Crispy Crust Frozen Pizza

Posted By: BurgerDogBoy
View site

Went bottom fishing in the frozen pizza section of my grocery store the other day, and reeled in some Tony’s “New” Crisp Crust Pizza. Tony’s is one of the brands (along with Freschetta and Red Baron) manufactured by the Schwan’s Food Company of Minnesota. Schwans started the same year I was born, delivering ice cream directly to rural homes. They’ve come along way since then, but you can still get ice cream (and other goodies) delivered by your local Schwan’s guy, click here for the selections.

Tony’s is clearly trying to capture some portion of the emerging “thin & crispy” category, in both appearance, and cost (usually less than a buck). These reminded me of the Totino’s low end pies, which originally were “Jeno’s” (a company started in my home town, and also originator of the pizza roll). Jeno Paulucci had two food companies that he grew from scratch, Chun King “Chinese” foods, and the Jeno’s brand of “Italian” foods. They were sold to RJ Reynolds and Pillsbury respectively, for boatloads of cash, and Jeno, who just celebrated his 130th birthday, is still at the biz, cranking out Michelina’s Frozen meals, as well as some other brands.

Anyway, these Tony’s were .98 cents each, so I picked a couple up. Although they sell a supreme and cheese model, the pepperonis were the ones at the featured price. I did not note the price of the other varieties.

The first thing one notices when removing from the box is that the engineers at Tony’s have come up with a new pizza shape and word to go with it: “Scround.” A square pie with rounded corners. I cannot even begin to comprehend why they did this. It’s nearly the shape of the Domino’s delivery box, but I do understand why they did that (probably boosted profits 1/10th of a penny per delivery).

The instructions are 12 minutes at 400 degrees. One thing I’ll say about these cheap little pies, is you can use the toaster oven, which is kind of handy. It may well be my tip of the hat to saving the planet and using less energy.

As regular readers know, I follow the precise instructions for cooking frozen and Ready To Eat meals, to see how they come out when following the instructions. I know, such a non-male thing to do.

The “Party Time” weighs in at 10.10 ounces, and the cover announces the (diced) pepperoni is made from pork, chicken, and beef. Other ingredients include a “topping blend” (defined as “mozzarella cheese substitute combined with a litany of other ingredients), but later in the list actually mozzarella appears, as does “isolated carrot product” (WTF?), onion, garlic, paprika, blah blah, and a whole lot of things that end in “ides” and “ates” and “ines.”

740 calories for the whole pie, 88 carbs (how many points is that?), a boatload of sodium, and negligible fiber.

As to taste. Well.  You get what you pay for.  After the recommended cooking time, the pizza was nowhere near my definition of “crisp”.  An additional 3-4 minutes produced no changes in the texture, as well. The bits of pepperoni (is diced really that much cheaper than sliced?) had a flavor reminiscent of pepperoni, but a texture more akin to boiled ham.   There was a sweet quality to the pizza that I didn’t care for, I assume it was from sugar in the tomato sauce.   And the “topping blend?”   Just that. No discernible actual cheese flavor, and as you can see from the photo, melt quality left something to be desired as well.

Would I purchase these again?  Are these pizzas the home version of drunk food, like when you hit White Castle after the bars?  Maybe for some folks, but not for me.  I have no idea what I will do with the remaining inventory in my freezer.

Tony’s Party Time Pizza gets 1 out of 8 slices in my opinion.

• make an

• *
  • *

12 Responses to “Tony’s “Party Time” Crispy Crust Frozen Pizza”

• Pizza recipe – How to make stuffed crust pizza wrote:
    31 Mar 2010 at 7:33 am

[…] Tony's “Party Time” Crispy Crust Frozen Pizza | … […]

• Apple and Pear Pie|Best Dessert Stand wrote:
    31 Mar 2010 at 11:26 am

[…] Tony's “Party Time” Crispy Crust Frozen Pizza | … […]

• JessieDesigns wrote:
    31 Mar 2010 at 1:28 pm

Pillsbury is also from Minnesota. = / Party? Not soooo muuuuuch!

• Bartlett Pear Pie|Best Dessert Stand wrote:
    01 Apr 2010 at 12:28 am

[…] Tony's “Party Time” Crispy Crust Frozen Pizza | … […]

• Laura wrote:
    01 Apr 2010 at 4:43 pm

I am a huge pizza fan and for some strange reason I LOVE totinos pizzas. I have to admit that there is not enough cheese on them. The cooking times are never right, but I would rather have too little time than too much. My husband likes digiorno, but I always go back to Totinos. We actually have a Tony's cheese in our freezer because my husband is determined for me to find a different brand, but I will probably agree with you on the 1 out of 8. Totinos is great because of the crisp crust that you get when you cook it for about 12-14 minutes! 🙂 As always, I love the blog!

• Alicia wrote:
    08 Mar 2011 at 5:43 pm

haha! I love totinos pizzas too! Right now my dad is making me a miniature party pizza in the oven, but its not totinos brand…): so I will just have to settle for a mini “party” pizza, though I highly doubt it won’t be as good.

• PizzaKing wrote:
    07 May 2011 at 6:34 am

.98 cents? Hell, for less than a penny who cares?!

• Ccwlvn wrote:
    27 May 2011 at 7:51 pm

i agree. they show 10 pieces of pepperoni on the baking instructions and 6 are actually all there is on the miserable stuff. on the front they show 8 or 9 pieces. what a joke. i agree wholeheartedly. i still have not found the best frozen pizza. still looking. sigh,

• Anything but Tonys wrote:
    10 Jul 2011 at 6:45 pm

I buy and try all the name brands but after this weekend no more Tonys. Sausage and pepperoni tasted like rancid dog food, most the pizza remained uneaten until I threw it out. Tried another today, the supreme and same thing, pure garbage dog food.

• Hemiliophobe wrote:
    22 Feb 2012 at 3:22 am

I’m Italian and when I moved to the US I couldn’t stand any American pizza. Just too heavy, greasy and plain nasty. Now I’ll eat anything that looks like a pizza and these hit the spot when you’re too tired to cook and want something junky.

• Eric wrote:
    20 Sep 2012 at 5:06 pm

I grew up eating Tony’s pizza and I’m sorry to say I have ben increasingly disappointed with the quality of the pizza. They must have changed the recipe or something, as I am loosing interest in the taste. It’s not at all how I remember it growing up. And another thing! I know there used to be more pepperoni on these things. Apparently progress has given less pepperoni. It’s a crying shame we only get six slices of pepperoni now. I bet that’s one reason why they don’t taste the same. Now after trying a couple of those square pizzas they’re dishing out, I have to say I rarely buy Tony’s anymore. I hardly consider myself a customer of Tony’s anymore. I’m surprised they’re still hanging in there. IT’S A REAL SHAME!!!

• bill wrote:
    08 Apr 2014 at 12:21 am

I miss the old recipe late 80s early90s the pepperonis that cooked into a little bowl full of grease. Mmmm. The good ole days wish they would bring those ones back