NYPD Pizza in Maitland, FL

Posted By: MB on March 20th, 2010
Visit NYPD Pizza in Maitland, FL's Website

Several years ago, the original NYPD Pizza was located on Orange Ave in Downtown Orlando. This NYPD had awesome pizza, easily the best in Orlando. Not only was it really good, but they were also pretty authentic when it came to actually serving a product that closely resembled New York Style pizza. Lou Pearlman had some sort of connection to the store so on occasion you would see local celebrities from the various boy-bands that he managed in the restaurant which was always interesting.

Eventually, NYPD started opening up more stores and the original location closed. I had not eaten in any of the new stores since the original restaurant closed, so when I saw that a new NYPD Pizza had opened along 17-92 in Maitland, I was excited to give them a try.

Soon enough, the pizza was served. What a disappointment compared to what NYPD Pizza used to be. I know I may be a bit overly critical of pizza, this was just sad…

The sauce had a really strong oregano taste. Normally I don’t mind oregano, but this was overpowering, and there was a whole lot of sauce. So much so that the cheese slid around on the surface of the sauce pond, inevitably coming off of the slice. This cheese also was completely tasteless. Somehow it was there, but yet had no recognizable taste. Was it low-sodium mozzarella? I’m not exactly sure, but what’s the point if the cheese doesn’t taste like cheese? The crust was okay, but it had no real redeeming factors to make up for the sauce and cheese. A good New York Style pizza is sometimes so nice looking that I would consider it a culinary work of art. This slice is no art:

How does a restaurant that I once held in such high regard fall so far? Was it the expansion of NYPD into a good size chain with locations in several states? Since the store was pretty new, maybe they didn’t get into their pizza making groove yet or perhaps I just caught NYPD on a really bad day. I hope so, but it didn’t leave a good first impression as my reintroduction to NYPD pizza…

2 out of 8 Slices

400 South Orlando Avenue Maitland, FL 32751-5644

7 Responses to “NYPD Pizza in Maitland, FL”

20 Mar 2010 at 8:32 pm

That slice just looks gross!

• frank wrote:

07 Apr 2010 at 8:05 pm

i agree it used to be good nasty now.

• NPerez0 wrote:

09 Apr 2010 at 10:19 pm

Is that a slice of pizza or a dead animal?

• Bizigrl wrote:

13 Dec 2010 at 1:37 pm

I live in New York and so I appreciate a good slice of pizza which is generally hard to find in florida. Went to NYPD in Maitland when I was in Florida in November. Pizza was very good. we had a regular cheese pie and a margarite pizza. The wings were awesome. I would recommend this restaurant to my friends.

• NYPDsucks wrote:

24 Feb 2011 at 4:46 pm

horrible pizza, very crappy service. takes two plus hours to have lunch there with three people when all are ordering 2 slices each of the slice of the day! rediculous! they spilled a whole pie on my boss’ lap cause they put the pizza on an upside-down pizza tray (rookie mistake). The pizza has very little flavor, the crust is like thin nasty cardboard, sometimes you get too much sauce or barely any at all. Very inconsistent pizza. Oh yeah and did i say horrible service! I gave them multiple chances to redeem themselves and they failed to do so. Stay away from that horrible excuse for a NY style pizza.

• Chevylvr902 wrote:

14 May 2011 at 3:36 pm

If you’re a pretty girl, don’t bother coming in. The owner will stand at your table and tell hIs life story like you care and won’t let you eat. It doesn’t matter of you have your kids or husband with you. Went in one day for lunch, HUGE mistake! I ordered a personal and only got half a slice and had to box the rest since he won’t leave me alone. My server was so angry w him. She kept doing things to make him move away but no with no success. He is very creepy

• pizzaGrl28 wrote:

19 Jun 2011 at 9:12 pm

I SO agree with this poster. I work in the area, even if you call in for faster lunch service, its never ready! it so miss-managed its crazy. I tried delivery, the toppings slid off on the sauce puddle all to one side in the box!! crust is SO thin its soggy, and barely there. I tried a eat in (3 x ur out!) eating in at least you can have a cold pitcher to wash down the misstake nypd maitland calls pizza! never again, not with carlucci pizza with FREE delivery and a true 18″ pie that barley fits in the box. Unlike nypd that is so cheap, they advertise a large pie, I got more box than pizza, it was a joke with my delivery experience from nypd. I also have observed the “manager” in his ramblings, with a beer in hand wandering from table to table. Hope its taken over by a good mom n pop family to bring more quality selections and service to maitland.