Bellini’s Pizza – My Opinion on the Coal Fired Pizza in Fort Lauderdale

Posted By: Willie on December 25th, 2009
Visit Bellini’s Pizza – My Opinion on the Coal Fired Pizza in Fort Lauderdale's Website

bellinipizza.jpgA few weeks ago I noticed a new sign had been put up blocks away from my humble apartment, Bellini’s Coal Fired Pizza. Naturally, the first thing that came to mind was, “I better tell Lapp immediately.” Despite his busy schedule of pissing people off, we managed to schedule a dinner there for the same week. Imagine my excitement, another possibly delicious pizza option close by. Score. I waited for our night to come with baited breath.

The night arrived and Lapp, his friend Bruce, and myself walked through the door of Bellini’s. Despite its dull exterior and location in a nondescript strip mall on Federal highway, the inside shined. Obviously another restaurant that has subscribed to the philosophy that pizza places can be posh – metallic colored fabric on the bar stools; tall, regal booths; and even modern place settings. A pizza place that you could get away with taking a date to…if your date didn’t have great taste in pizza.

That’s right, the pizza was average at best. Which is a shame because both of the appetizers we had were pretty solid, truffled mac’n’cheese and some sort of baked brie and apricot concoction that I thought was going to make Bruce cry out in cheese euphoria. But back to the pizza…

The best word I can think of is average. The sauce had a nice balance of acidity and sweetness, there was decent-tasting mozzarella cheese on top, and there was a crust. The crust on the large pizza that we got was undercooked and lacked the crunch and texture of the smaller pie we had. But nothing stood out. This pizza is the 5’9, 175lb guy who’s married with two kids and earns $36,100 a year. Completely average.

But let’s look on the upside, Bellini’s has only been open for a month, and like the waiter told us, they are still working out some of the kinks. I hope they do. If they could kick the pizza up to the quality that’s exhibited in the decor and the appetizers, it would be a solid contender; however, for now 5 out of 8 slices.

1535 North Federal Highway Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304-1474

17 Responses to “Bellini’s Pizza – My Opinion on the Coal Fired Pizza in Fort Lauderdale”

• uberVU - social comments wrote:

17 Dec 2009 at 4:50 pm

Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by Lapp: New Coal Fired Pizza Place in Ft Lauderdale named Bellini’s gets their first review! Thanks @MoreWillie for your 1st http://bit.ly/8aTWPg

• tony222 wrote:

14 Jan 2010 at 4:17 pm

I ate here the other day and I have to say I was not impressed.

The decor is very nice, as are the people who run it. But the chef should probably be fired. We ordered the apricot brie concoction, which would have been good had the sliced apples been from a fresh apple. Instead they were dry and sandy!!! The coal fired chicken wings were just plain barely cooked. They tasted of nothing. They were not good. Anthony's coal fired wings would make these look like dog-food I hate to say. The pizza was the four cheese version. With a pound of cheese and an ounce of tomato sauce. Very very poorly put together. It was, however, the best part of the meal, and that isn't saying alot.

Spend your money somewhere worthwhile, like Anthony's or Kitchenetta.

This place needs serious help in the kitchen.

14 Jan 2010 at 4:23 pm

I agree that you are much better off at Kitchenetta if you can stomach the prices.

• tony222 wrote:

14 Jan 2010 at 4:32 pm

let's just say if you can afford to eat at this place, you can afford to eat at kitchenetta. its well worth the extra 20-30 bucks. IMO.

• Debbie wrote:

31 Jan 2010 at 1:06 am

I ate with my husband today at Bellini's, in one word it was absolutely “Amazing”!!!
    I had the New 3oz. Pizza which was delicious and imagine having less calories than a sandwich! woow!! My husband had the blackened snapper entrée and loved it!
    Not to mention the decor was amazing, the service was excellent and the prices and quality of the food were exceptional… Guys definetely something to recommend to all!!! We were delighted by the great experience… Can't wait to go back!

• Robert wrote:

27 Feb 2010 at 6:40 pm

I can't believe it's pizza— so bad it was the worst I can remember. Crust like Jewish Matza. And the cheese, well what was it? Looked like a smear of baby poo. Can't say if the sauce was any good because I couldnt find it. I think I was punked. Were you high when you wrote that review???

• John wrote:

01 Mar 2010 at 12:09 am

I agree with Debbie, you guys have no taste. This place is one of the best I have ever been to and I am from New York. So I know what true pizza tastes like. You guys probably been to so many crappy pizza places that you cant even tell the difference between them

• LORI wrote:

03 Mar 2010 at 2:13 am

ON A SCALE OF 1-10

• Anonymous wrote:

06 Apr 2010 at 4:36 am

I JUST ate at Bellini’s and am returning from one of the most unusually bad experiences I have ever had from a restaurant, ever. I had been a server for close to 12 years, now turned professional, however, it never amazes me to be shocked by the service industry that i have once worked so hard for. I now work for the Broward County School Board as an Autism Coach in a very demanding job. However, in the midst of all my hectic-ness, i once and a while like to unwind with a relaxing dinner/drinks. I arrived at 8:00pm and began with a “signature Bellini”. By 10:00 pm, an appetizer, salad and 2 more Bellini’s later i was being judged by the server, questioned, and being held accountable by my previous Bellini’s and lastly was denied service by the management. I am not a belligerent patron, nor someone whom would ever go out of their way to post a comment such as this, however, ones’ experience is was it is. Walls talk and i hope they do exponentially. I expressed my unequivocal anger and annoyance at my experience to the management and was given a less than mediocre apricot and brie appetizer, where then he expressed is annoyance by the server as well, which further annoyed me because you are as good as your restaurant. Do not eat here, you will be less than satisfied.

• kk226 wrote:

06 Apr 2010 at 4:37 am

I JUST ate at Bellini's and am returning from one of the most unusually bad experiences I have ever had from a restaurant, ever. I had been a server for close to 12 years, now turned professional, however, it never amazes me to be shocked by the service industry that i have once worked so hard for. I now work for the Broward County School Board as an Autism Coach in a very demanding job. However, in the midst of all my hectic-ness, i once and a while like to unwind with a relaxing dinner/drinks. I arrived at 8:00pm and began with a “signature Bellini”. By 10:00 pm, an appetizer, salad and 2 more Bellini's later i was being judged by the server, questioned, and being held accountable by my previous Bellini's and lastly was denied service by the management. I am not a belligerent patron, nor someone whom would ever go out of their way to post a comment such as this, however, ones' experience is was it is. Walls talk and i hope they do exponentially. I expressed my unequivocal anger and annoyance at my experience to the management and was given a less than mediocre apricot and brie appetizer, where then he expressed is annoyance by the server as well, which further annoyed me because you are as good as your restaurant. Do not eat here, you will be less than satisfied.

• kk226 wrote:

06 Apr 2010 at 4:39 am

I give this restaurant a 2

• E N wrote:

21 Jun 2010 at 3:55 am

I travel to Fort Lauderdale often. I have been to Bellini's three times.

I love the meatballs and the eggplant appetizers. I also really enjoy the pizza.

I highly recommend this restaurant. Can't wait to get back down to Fort Lauderdale.

• Mac wrote:

25 Jul 2010 at 2:34 pm

If you were in the service industry you should know that management has the right to refuse serving people they consider risky, having three cocktails in such a short period of time they did the right thing. You should be thanking them from saving you from a DUI, instead of being petty.

• Bex wrote:

11 Aug 2010 at 6:53 am

I've dined in so many restaurants, and this was the first time I've been to Bellini's. I was very impressed with their decor and cuisine, and the server was very attentive and friendly. There were some amazing appetizers, such as the calamari and truffled macaroni and cheese (best mac n' cheese ever). The pizzas have copious amounts of cheese, so you really get your money's worth. Also, they are coal fired to perfection, without any burnt pieces. The desserts were great. I tried the tiramisu and ricotta cheesecake. It's pretty tough to say which one was better. Overall, I give Bellini's 2 thumbs up, and I'll definitely come back again.

• Oceanick24 wrote:

11 Aug 2010 at 2:29 pm

I've dinned at Bellini's twice already and I am very pleased with the quality of the food, as well as, the quality of the service. First time there, was with a friend of mine for a casual dinner. The second time was just last night for the same friend's graduation dinner. Both times the servers were very polite, proffesional and friendly. Their truffle'd Mac-n-Chesse is to die for. Absolutely exquisite. Their Arugula salad and goat cheese is superb, and their Arugula truffle pizza with pine nuts and portabella mushrooms is a spiritual experience.. It is absolutely fantastic. I also ordered one of their signature Bellinis' drinks… with champagne and leeche.. I highly recomend it!
    The ambiance is very chic and trendy. This place will stimulate all of your senses. Perfect for a date or a casual dinner with friends.

• trevor wrote:

21 Oct 2010 at 6:14 pm

Great pizza they are very friendly with the portions across the board and the decor is stunning without the high prices

• CousinNicky wrote:

20 May 2011 at 8:01 pm

Pizza came out cold 2x..Wings were sent back for being under cooked..
    Service was average..
    Im hoping they’ve worked out the kinks since i’ve been there..They must’ve to be still in business.