Patio Pizza and Caligiuri’s St. James New York

Posted By: Pizza Expert on September 2nd, 2009
Visit Patio Pizza and Caligiuri’s St. James New York's Website

Patiopizza.jpgMy sister seems to like to order from Patio pizza and since I have only had take out up to date, I thought it would be wise to finally stop in and grab a slice. A lot of people new to the area might think that Caligiuri’s Restaurant and Patio Pizza are not the same place. They are actually connected inside and the restaurant portion is called Caligiuri’s, while the pizza place is called Patio Pizza.

My father and I went into grab a slice after stopping by Matt’s Pizza down the block and walking out. The pizza at Matt’s just looked gross and unfresh, so I didn’t dare to try a slice at that time. Patio Pizza immediately asked me what I wanted when I walked in the door. It was like I didn’t even have a chance to look at the slices before some guy said “what can I get for ya”. I ended up choosing a Sicilian slice since I felt like all three guys behind the counter were staring at me wondering what I would choose.

While waiting for the slice I discovered that Patio Pizza has been in business for 32 years, so my expectations were high. Usually a place cannot survive this long if they don’t have quality pizza. Or it survives cause the other places around it are so bad, and the community doesn’t want to travel outside their immediate area. I have a feeling the latter is the more probably case with Patio Pizza.

The first thing I noticed when I picked up the slice, was how much sauce it had spilling over. Sauce was dripping everywhere making a huge mess. I lifted up the cheese to see what was underneath it to reveal what looked like an ocean of sauce, infested with tomato peel. I thought I might have to call in Moses to part it for me! Although it was overloaded with this sauce, the sauce wasn’t too bad after I removed all the pieces of peel in it. It has a nice sweet smooth taste in certain parts.

The cheese did not taste of the highest quality, and at $2.50 a slice I expected to taste Grande or something. The crust was nice and crisp & the dough was soft inside. So if I had to improve something on this pizza it would be the cheese they are using. If I had to improve something about the staff, it would be to let customers look for a second and feel comfortable.

Patio Pizza gets 4 out of 8 slices.

262 Lake Ave St James, NY 11780-2222

19 Responses to “Patio Pizza and Caligiuri’s St. James New York”

• Jesseeka4510 wrote:

02 Sep 2009 at 6:57 am

There is a semi-new restaurant in Boynton Beach that I went to eat at with my dad last night called Milan's, and they have a pizza menu. Have you tried it? This patio pizza looks pretty tasty. Not too cheesy nor does it seem to have an enormous amount of sauce on it although you say otherwise. = D

• Nick wrote:

01 Nov 2009 at 12:26 am

Well I think you may have your facts a little weak. The workers want to make sure you get helped and that you get what you want. If you wanted more time, you could of just asked. As for your knowledge of cheese brands, it is grande. Maybe your taste buds were on crack. The customers come back because it is good food and great quality, not just because “the community doesn’t want to travel outside their immediate area”. You are classified as a bias pizza rater. The Sicilian is great.

• John Doe wrote:

01 Nov 2009 at 12:42 am

This is the worst review of all time. Patio Pizza always has been and always will be the BEST pizzeria. The people there treat you like family and provide quick service at extremely reasonable prices. It is obvious they use the finest ingredients because everything on the menu is absolutely delicious. Every Friday night is Patio night, and it always will be.

• Chris wrote:

01 Dec 2009 at 3:30 pm

Patio Pizza is overrated. I recently ordered a meatball parm hero from them and it was the fattiest meatballs I ever tasted. I could barely even eat it, it was so fatty. The staff is very rude. When you walk in, you get the feeling that if they don't know you, you're annoying them by being there. It's a bunch of high school girls and old men behind the counter who are more intersted in talking to the high school girls that work for them than they are interested in treating the customers nicely. The pizza is ok, but not great. There's a place on 25a in St James, called Rocco's or La Rocca (can't remember) that is much better and the staff is very warm and friendly. Even on a crowded Friday night, you get a smile and a sense of appreciation for spending your money there. Patio Pizza makes you feel like you're an inconvenience when you walk in to pick up your order or to place an order.

• Chris wrote:

01 Dec 2009 at 10:30 pm

• patio furniture toronto wrote:

04 Feb 2010 at 8:03 am

Good job
    Thank for information, I'm looking for it

• Erin wrote:

25 Mar 2010 at 8:37 pm

Patio Pizza and Caligiuri's is awesome. In fact I am going there to get myself a good Eggplant Parm dinner. Delicious!

• Liz wrote:

25 Mar 2010 at 8:39 pm

I can only imagine that you're very rude if you thought people at Patio Pizza are rude! Their food is phenomenal and their service is great. They have always been friendly to me and I don't know any of them there. Nor am i a teenage girl. Maybe the problem is yourself.

• Ken wrote:

29 Apr 2010 at 4:42 pm

Not true! They have one of the better slices not only in St. James but on Long Island!!!

• Holla wrote:

28 Nov 2010 at 8:04 pm

Patio Pizza is so yesterday. There are so many better places to eat than there. Seriously. It isn’t much to rave about.

• St. James Resident wrote:

15 Dec 2011 at 12:37 am

Boycott Caligiuri’s Patio Pizza.
    The owners tell their drivers who deliver pizza to park in the Handicapped
    Parking places. In fact, there were signs up in addition to the blue lines
    outlining the Handicapped Parking places. One of the cooks who cooks the pizza
    went outside and pulled the sign down when I complained. One of the owners told
    me that, “Disabled people don’t pay my mortgage. Normal people pay my mortgage
    and normal people are who I cater to.” These are terrible human beings and no
    one in St. James should purchase pizza from Caligiuri’s Patio Pizza or dine at
    their attached restaurant until they start behaving like members of the human
    race. They remind me of the mobsters in Russia. Who think that they can get
    away with anything simply because they have a little money. Their feeling was
    succinctly stated by the owner. Who cares about the disabled. Not us. Caligiuri’s
    Patio Pizza detests the disabled. Boycott them.

• Jack wrote:

06 Jan 2012 at 9:08 pm

I’m attempting to reserve judgement towards the nature of your handicap, but I’m wondering what prevents you from walking an extra 15 feet or so from another parking space. The parking area in that group of stores is roughly the size of a tennis court. I’ve made it in and out of that place while on crutches without complaining. If you rolled up to the counter in a wheelchair exhibiting your inability to maneuver, I can’t imagine the owner said anything close to what you’re claiming.

• Jack wrote:

06 Jan 2012 at 9:09 pm

“So yesterday” coming from a dude that calls himself “Holla.” Sound advice Paco. Spot on.

• Jack wrote:

06 Jan 2012 at 9:11 pm

Dude goes to a pizza place looking for heath food.

• Jack wrote:

06 Jan 2012 at 9:15 pm

So, you don’t like tomatoes in your tomato sauce? You strike me as the type of person that won’t eat a piece of bread with out the edges cut off, and perhaps scream at your mother when dissimilar food items are touching each other on your dinner place. Horrible review, could not be more inaccurate.

• Not wrote:

18 Jan 2012 at 5:04 pm

When I’m lazy and don’t feel like going out their pizza’s good enough to get delivered. If you like eggplant checkout Rocco’s brickoven pizza with baby eggplant on 25A St James.

• Not wrote: