Joseph’s Classic Market Pizza Boca Raton

Posted By: Pizza Expert on August 31st, 2009
Visit Joseph’s Classic Market Pizza Boca Raton's Website

josephs.jpgjosephs_italian.jpgA new Italian market opened up in Boca Raton at the Boca Center, occupying the space where Bombay Kids used to be. Known as Josephs Classic Italian Market, they have a variety of freshly prepared foods and even a pizza oven. If Bombay Kids would have sold pizza they probably would have had a better chance of serving one that I would like.

The pizza was on special the day we went, and if I recall correctly it was like the price of 2 slices, to get an entire pie.  So we ordered the pie and proceeded to look around the market while we waited.  The food all looked scrumptious, including the desserts.  I refrained from all the sweets, so that I could make sure I had room for a slice or two.

When the pie came out of the oven, we started our journey to the cash register to pay.  What is odd about the layout of Joseph’s is that they exit you almost at the furthest end of the store, from where the parking lot is.  This was not very well thought out.  Speaking of things that were not well thought out, we might as well discuss the seating.  We hoped to eat our pizza inside the store, so we had a chance of not sweating like Hugh Grant driving through a red light district.  No such luck for us though!  Joseph’s only has outdoor seating, and since it was just about 96 degrees outside, with 100% humidity the day we went there, the food naturally seemed destined to suck.

We opened the pie to see this mess, as you can be attested to by just checking out the photo above again.  Let me point out…we got the pie, held it straight and brought it to our table outside in the desert heat.  There was no shaking the pie, there was no holding it lopsided, there was no movement whatsoever.  This pie just fell apart sitting in the box.  The crust was extremely under cooked, the sauce was put on abundantly and causing everything to slide, and the cheese just tasted like pure crap.  It was almost hard for me to eat the pizza, after looking at it.  Wasn’t sure if I should throw up, or if someone already did on the pizza to make it look like it did.

The crust didn’t taste good at all, the sauce was almost awful enough to be one of the worst I have eaten, and the cheese continued to slide off the pie whenever I tried to eat it, so not really sure I could even comment on the cheese.  All-in-all it was a terrible experience at Joseph’s and I would never go back to try another slice, or pie here again.  Way too many other places around the area that serve quality pizza, not worth dealing with this so called pizza.

Joseph’s Classic Market gets 1 out of 8 slices

5250 Town Center Cir Boca Raton, FL 33486-1067

34 Responses to “Joseph’s Classic Market Pizza Boca Raton”

• Sabr!na wrote:

31 Aug 2009 at 6:17 am

This look so gross!! Doesn't it!

• igorgue wrote:

31 Aug 2009 at 6:56 am

Its called “tornado cheese pizza”… come on! 😛

31 Aug 2009 at 11:37 am

I would love to see them succeed, don't get me wrong, but the way they exit you, combined with the crappy parking, combined with the prices, make it very hard to see this place around in the long run. They should have learned from that other place palladio or whatever it was called, that you can be as gourmet as you want, but if you prices are high and it is inconvenient to get to, people wont come.

• bloqhead wrote:

01 Sep 2009 at 5:11 am

That pie looks absolutely terrible. I commend you for even trying it for the sake of a review. It sounds like this place is going out of business pretty quickly with the combination of downfalls it has, let alone the fact that their pizza looks like some of the worst I've seen. There was a Mexican place in town here that had all the same pitfalls and lo and behold, they're gone. Horrible location, service went down hill and so did the food. You'd think places like this would strive for quality and to have a good name out there, but it's like they just don't care (or are just completely oblivious). I mean, can they honestly eat their own food and say 'I would buy this for x amount'? What a shame.

• OysterHo wrote:

01 Sep 2009 at 8:09 pm

One day I made a great dinner and spent a lot of money shopping, but I got a lot of things. $123 worth! I also got a lot of things I didn't need that night lol. The last time I was in there they were selling big bunches of broccoli for $.99! Albertsons had little scrawny ones for $1.70 or maybe higher.

anyway, some of their food is pretty reasonable.

that pizza, however, not so much. :0

• Gloria Martino wrote:

07 Sep 2009 at 6:40 am

Joseph's Pizza is the best pizza we have had!!!! We also bought the whole pizza on special-unbelievable dough-light tomato sauce-delectable cheese. We have tried every Pizza these 35 years in Florida and Joseph's is the only one to compare with Pizza's from Philadelphia and New York with the homemade taste and quaity we used to get when we were growing up!!!!

07 Sep 2009 at 6:42 am

Wow, I really think you need to get out more and sample some of the other local places, if you think this is the best! Go try Authentic Brooklyn Pizza by Kmart and 95 or Nino's on Palmetto and Powerline

• pizza_pro wrote:

08 Sep 2009 at 1:22 pm

What was it they did to actually earn the single slice out of eight, I mean why not zero from the looks of it? Was that one awarded because it was served hot? Maybe because they used an oven instead of cooking on the hot asphalt outside?

• KS wrote:

10 Sep 2009 at 1:51 pm

I totally DISAGREE with the article. I have had several pizza's from Joseph's Market in Boca and have had nothing but great pizza. I'm not sure where your pizza came from, but it is our favorite place for pizza along with several of our friends. We compared the pizza to that of NY and Boston pizza. Amazing!

• pizzaexpert wrote:

12 Sep 2009 at 11:24 am

Honestly, I do not think you have had enough other pizza around to compare it to, cause this was far from good!

• SC wrote:

16 Sep 2009 at 6:52 am

I so disagree with this assessment of Josephs. It is great!! I bought pork chops that were to die for that were $1.99 pound; their own deli meats for a great price and taste. Why are you knocking this market for one bad pizza? Why didn't you go back in and ask for another. This is a market not a restaurant so I think having any tables is great. You had to know prior to ordering that there were no indoor tables. It is so nice to have a market with top notch food; fresh vegetables and gourmet items.

16 Sep 2009 at 6:54 am

We have no issues with the vegetables, and gourmet items. I have actually been back a few times to get the meatballs etc, but I will avoid the pizza. In my opinion it was awful

• Mary wrote:

18 Sep 2009 at 6:29 am

We get the special pizza every Tuesday and it is delicious. The crust is the best. My pizza never came out like the one in the pics. Makes me think by comments like these you may have something to gain by criticizing it.

18 Sep 2009 at 6:48 am

I have nothing to gain by criticizing it. I just say it as I see it. The picture speaks for itself.

• nickatprimefoods wrote:

24 Sep 2009 at 2:22 pm

I am in the Boca Location Of Josephs a good amount during the week and as a result ive become friendly with the staff. I have had their pizza many times and couldnt have been happyer with my purchase. I lived in Brooklyn my whole life before moving to FL and can honestly say that this is the only pizza that can even call itself NY style. After reading this article i was curious to how something like pictured above would ever get produced in a market like that. Also, i wanted to make sure the FL heat didnt hinder my judgement of what a good slice of pizza was. I soon came to realize that after the opening of this location, they had an issue with their “pizza guy's” quality and he was soon replaced. Im not denying that those pictures arent JCM Pizza, However i know for a fact that Pizza from Josephs will never look like that agian

24 Sep 2009 at 2:28 pm

So maybe I will go back now that they have a new guy thanks!

• Name wrote:

07 Oct 2009 at 5:36 pm

your loss.

• ljfuzy wrote:

08 Oct 2009 at 3:31 pm

We'll move to Palm Beach County. We live in Jupiter and we truck to Joseph's for pizza, FRESH, FRESh food of all types. Get a life.

• Max Skinner wrote:

09 Oct 2009 at 7:53 am

I've had pizza there many times, and while it may not have been the
    best I've had, it was very good.

Concering the individual that wrote the original article, Josephs is a market, not a restaurant. The tables outside are a convenience.
    If you want to sit inside, go to a restaurant.
    The writer is obviously Boca royalty and doesn't know his ass from his elbow.

• Tim wrote:

12 Oct 2009 at 4:29 pm

Truth be TOLD they have one of the best Pizzas in South Florida and its take Out only – also they have a amazing Deli -yes they are pricey but so is Boca Raton you can get a slice for 2 bucks and try it out or get full take out dinners – HIGH END FOOD.

• Alan Arnold wrote:

27 Nov 2009 at 5:54 am

Josephs is 100% classic. A great place. Finally, someone gets it.
    Boca is filled with a lot of poor quality markets.
    Thank Josephs for finally giving us great food and great service at a reasonable price. And Jimmy, the gentleman who runs the place, is the best.
    These people know what they are doing. Their food is great. Their weekly specials are terrific. Their pizza, contrary to a prior unflattering comment by someone who obviously was having a bad day, is excellent.
    I cannot say enough good things about this market.

• Alan Arnold wrote:

27 Nov 2009 at 12:54 pm

Josephs is 100% classic. A great place. Finally, someone gets it.
    Boca is filled with a lot of poor quality markets.
    I cannot say enough good things about this market.

• bob wrote:

17 Jan 2010 at 5:59 pm

Jimmy who runs the place treats people like crab, karma will catch up with all, and the pizza is now crab because of a new pizza cook

• Nancy wrote:

16 Feb 2010 at 5:05 pm

Well, I don't know anything about the Boca store, but I can tell you they have the best pizza at their Palm Beach Gardens store. I love everything about that place, except for the parking which there isn't enough of, but I believe they're moving to the old Albertson't store at the corner of Military and Northlake. It's to bad that you got such a horrible looking pizza, but don't trash the company, just because some cook had a bad pizza day.

• Andi wrote:

22 May 2010 at 4:38 pm

I don't live in Boca, but I go to Joseph's in Royal Palm. I am a New Yorker and am very picky about my pizza. You should try their pizza there. It is very good. Their store layout is much better, but then again to eat at the market, the tables and chairs are all set up outside.

• Skc wrote:

15 Sep 2010 at 5:17 pm

the company thinks it is all that. The owner Joe is a low class person who wants to be a millionaire and all employees can not stand him.

• Im4ufru wrote:

24 Oct 2010 at 5:52 pm

I don’t know what this guy is talking about. i am from brooklyn N.Y. and I know Pizza. The Pizza at Joseph’s is some of the best Pizza you will find anywhere in Florida. Take it from a Guy who knows Their Pizza is real GoooooooD !!!

• Pizzaguy wrote:

05 Jan 2011 at 9:56 pm

Great Pizza and they are way nicer than Doris’s Market if your looking for a specialty supermarket.

• Tudo wrote:

04 Jul 2011 at 8:39 pm

Forget NY “style” pizza. Everybody knows that NY comes in 2nd place to the first place by a mile NEW JERSEY pizza. So, fogetabout it already.

• Meggsunshine wrote:

23 Aug 2011 at 9:55 pm

The check out register is right by two doorways !  Plenty of people eat outside under the shade of the overhang ..just as they do at the Starbucks under the umbrellas next door.  As for the pizza it is delicious and fresh.  I am Sicilian/Napoletan from N.Y. suburbs and ate a lot of pizza.  This is  right up there with the best.  Also the calzones are heavy with sausage or eggplant or meatball or chicken parm. ..  the dough is crispy and tasty.  The picture of the pizza slice you show looks like somebody dropped it.

• Gloria wrote:

24 Aug 2011 at 11:56 am

Finally, someone who appreciates fine quality, excellent service. We’re from Philadelphia with many choices of  Italian Markets with good fresh food so we were elated when, at last, Joseph”s opened. We were accustomed to having to go to several stores for our food, Butcher shop, Vegetable store, Fish Market, Pizza place, etc. Now, everything in one store.
    Pizza  My parents were born in Abruzzi, Italy, they taught us to always have the best and freshest food possible-Joseph’s provides us with all we like!!
    Thanks to Meggsunshine

• Mandy2594 wrote:

12 Sep 2011 at 1:29 am

N u pussy who will never be rich!

• Peggy wrote:

05 Nov 2011 at 11:36 am

I work in this plaza and i don’t know what this picture is, but alot of us eat Joseph’s pizza and we love it.  Peggy.

05 Nov 2011 at 2:22 pm

Peggy the photo is quite authentic. This mess in my opinion was pretty awful. I guess I will go try it again to see if they improved.
    Sent From iPhone