Tucci’s Pizza Boca Raton

Posted By: Pizza Expert on April 10th, 2009
Visit Tucci’s Pizza Boca Raton's Website

tucci's pizza.jpgFor all those who haven’t ventured out lately in the Boca Raton area, or haven’t read my previous posts, Red Rock Pizza has closed down recently.  Although we all loved the taste and quality that came along with Red Rock, you will be happy to know that Tucci‘s picks up where they left off.

When I first entered the new Tucci’s Pizza place on 50 NE 1st avenue in Boca Raton, near Mizner (561) 620-2930, I immediately noticed how cleaned up the placed look.

It had a modern chic feel to it, and just seemed brighter.  Red Rock used to have this gigantic bar area that really served no purpose, the new owner “Albertotucci” saw no need for this wasted space and shrunk the bar which enabled him to add some tables.

Even though we ate outside, I had walked in to go wash my hands.  What used to be a frightening experience, has also been changed.  Red Rock had some of the ugliest, grossest bathrooms in town.  Tucci has redone them (nothing extravagant) and cleaned them up, making them usable.  They almost feel bigger, even though they are still tiny.  I used to feel like I was walking out of the bathroom wishing there was a sink on the outside so my hands would feel clean from washing them in the old sink.

Another thing that was instantly evident, was that Tucci took care of that horrendous noise that used to constantly hum throughout this place.  It was worse by the back tables, but it rattled through my body when I would eat, almost like when someone puts a window down in the car and your ears start to pop.  He said it was a simple fix of removing some debris from the air conditioning vent.  Thank goodness he did this!

Alright, enough about the ambiance and crap that nobody here cares about.  Let’s get to the pizza.  Big G came along for the ride today, and he ordered a meatball/rigotta small pie, and I ordered a large plain pie.  The owner Alberto came out and spoke to us for a while and recognized me as the PizzaExpert.  Luckily I hadn’t given his place a bad review!  How can you give a bad review though to a place that tasted awesome.

img_0899Big G’s pizza came out first and he started to dig in.  Right after his first bite I could tell he enjoyed it.  He looked at me and said, this is seriously good, and I am happy we came.  After a little while my pizza came out.  Although the pie was a little soggy, after cooling down it got firmer.  My first bite was delicious as well.  One thing you might notice at Tucci’s Pizza is that they do not use the ridiculous amount of chunky sauce that Red Rock used to use.  Although the sauce tasted relatively the same, they use less of it, and it makes much less of a mess.  When picking up a slice of Red Rock Pizza, the cheese and sauce would slide off and you were left having to use a fork and knife.  This is no longer the case.  Alberto has figured out the perfect ratio and the cheese and sauce stays on.

You could get your pizza with Buffalo Mozzarella if you wish, but we choose the Fresh Mozzarella for our pie.  The Fresh Mozzarella does not come pre-grated, they grate it themselves, and is not the way many other local places do this.  The sauce and dough are made daily and not frozen.  Alberto explained that he uses white oak in his oven, and even throws in some coal to keep the heat.  Out of all the other coal fired, wood fired, wood burning, coal burning blah blah blah burning places that have opened up in Boca Raton/Delray Beach lately, this place definitely takes the cake on taste.

Please note, at $18 for a pie, without toppings, this place is not cheap by any means.  But at least when you eat here for that price, you don’t feel like you are getting robbed, like at some of the other local places.  The quality stands out at Tucci’s.  Do yourselves a favor and try this place.

Tucci’s Pizza gets 7 out of 8 slices.  We wish you success Alberto

50 Ne 1st Avenue, boca raton, fl 33432

35 Responses to “Tucci’s Pizza Boca Raton”

• mattspizza wrote:

10 Apr 2009 at 6:31 am

Sounds good, I gotta try it!

• Karen wrote:

11 Apr 2009 at 10:44 am

Glad to hear they cleaned the place up. After your review we will definitely give the location another try.

11 Apr 2009 at 2:58 pm

please mention our name to the manager when you eat there!

• kutypye2 wrote:

11 Apr 2009 at 8:21 pm

This is my favorite restaurant. They do have the best pizza and wings! They also use the freshest ingredients. Everytime I eat their the owner is always making sure the place is kept spotless. He seems to work just as hard as his employees.
    Congratulations Alberto for adding a great place to eat in Boca

• ItailaJoe wrote:

25 Apr 2009 at 6:30 pm

First off, I'd like to let everyone know I am an extremist pizza critic, and crtic all my pizzas beyond the normal coal/wood/brick oven pizza enthuasicist. I think the pizza here is great, its maybe half a star better than Anthonies (Pembroke Pines) since all Anthonys locations are not truely consistent. Tucci's crust is really good, and I can tell they don't use cheap mozzarella. I ordered the regular cheese pizza, and when I hold it upside down in a vertical position, it doesn't leak any grease. Thats when you know its got expensive cheese. The pizza was cooked very well. My only complaint is the texture of the sauce is too flat. Being Italian, I felt like I was eating pizza with pasta sauce on it. The only thing that Red-Rock had which gave it a slight better advantage was the chunky plum tomatoes. You can stuff your mouth with a slice and feel the chunks of tomato and the buffalo mozzarella. Also the bottom of the crust has slightly a little too much flour. I would suggest the baker using a pinch of flour, and the chunky plum tomato sauce and this pizza would get a 7.5 out of 8. I would also add some charcole in the oven mixed with the wood, so the bottom of the crust could have that more charcolely taste like Anthonys, Lombardi's , and Pepe.

25 Apr 2009 at 6:35 pm

Joe,

They do have coal in the oven, which is something many places who claim to have coal ovens, don't even do. Maybe it isn't a bunch, but certainly enough to keep the heat. Pretty funny that the one thing I told Tucci's owner is that I love the sauce compared to Red Rock. The sauce at Red Rock was way too chunky and I found myself letting it fall off as I lifted the pizza. Tucci's is much smoother, but this goes to show, that you cannot please everyone, since we are both avid pizza eaters and like it differently. Hope to see you there one day!

• ItailaJoe wrote:

30 Apr 2009 at 10:30 am

Craig

I wasn't aware of the coal. However, there will always be tons of fans who loved the Red Rock Pizza, and will always say Tucci's is good, but it is not RED ROCK. Red Rock was probably the most perfect pie you can get, and not matter how good someone makes a pizza, people will always talk about how they missed Red Rock. Red Rock will always be known as a legendary awesome pizza joint that many people miss. I heard too many people tell me, “damn this pizza is good, but its not Red Rock. Red Rock was and always will be in my mind a 8 out of 8!

• madamus wrote:

07 May 2009 at 7:52 am

i agree the sauce taste like it's straight out of a can, other than that they have the best pizza around.

• alberto wrote:

07 May 2009 at 8:58 am

Thanks you ! like to meet you next time .

• alberto wrote:

07 May 2009 at 8:59 am

Sorry that you feel that way.

• alberto wrote:

07 May 2009 at 9:01 am

Straight out of a can?

• Missing Red Rock wrote:

10 May 2009 at 4:09 am

Tucci's is terrible. $25 for a margherita pizza, that is mediocre at best.

Red Rock was light years better.

• alberto wrote:

10 May 2009 at 4:06 pm

Sorry that you were not HAPPY with my pizza!

• Lisa wrote:

13 May 2009 at 9:27 am

REDROCK WAS SO DIRTY!!!!!! YOu had to watch rats cross the dining room floor while eating. Worst experience. Tucci's pie is WAY better. Redrock's pizza was NEVER consistanr, that's because the pizza man was different everytime I went in there. Tucci's owners (Alberto & Melanie) definetely know what their doing. There is special greeting when you walk in the place-whether it's one of the owner's greeting you or the staff; it's always so warming….way to go Tucci's!!! You'll always be better than redrock allaround!! AND YOUR PLACE IS SO CLEAN!! YAYYY

• Lisa wrote:

13 May 2009 at 9:29 am

I guess you like the rat droppings too!!

• alberto wrote:

13 May 2009 at 4:15 pm

Thanks for your support!

• jj wrote:

23 May 2009 at 10:51 am

BEST PIZZA PLACE IN BOCA RATON!!!! PROBABLY BEST PIZZA IN THE WORLD!!!

• jj wrote:

23 May 2009 at 10:56 am

You people saying that the pizza is not good are seriously crazy! and your comments about the sauce?! they have the most amazing sauce in the world! it has to be homemade! i could drink that stuff! Best pizza in south Florida! hands down!

• alberto wrote:

23 May 2009 at 6:19 pm

Thanks you very Much, jj

• ItaliaJoe wrote:

30 May 2009 at 8:49 am

The sauce was too thin, Alberto, add some thick chunks of plum tomatoes like Red Rock and you'll be #1 in Boca-Delray Area.

30 May 2009 at 9:05 am

The very thing I disliked about red rock, the chunky tomato sauce is what joe suggests! See, you can't please everyone

• jimsock wrote:

13 Jul 2009 at 6:07 am

More nasty burned Boca “pizza”. Maybe it's a sign of some sort of “cluster”?

• Alberto wrote:

16 Jul 2009 at 8:52 am

jimsock, we can make it again if you like.

• VickyVV wrote:

17 Aug 2009 at 10:07 am

Is this place still open? I called them twice today to place an order and no one picked up. It was around 1pm so either they're too busy or they're out of business. Anyone have an update on their status?

• OysterHo wrote:

01 Sep 2009 at 5:29 pm

If it was on a Monday, they are closed. Otherwise I have no idea.

• callmeismael wrote:

27 Oct 2009 at 2:59 pm

I. for one, DO care about the stuff that nobody else cares about, like cleanliness.

It is very re-assuring to me when I enter a restaurant bathroom and it is clean.

It sends a message about management. Clean restaurants are in the VERY small minority.

• callmeismael wrote:

27 Oct 2009 at 9:59 pm

• Daniele Leone wrote:

03 Jul 2010 at 5:10 pm

Recently I watched two World Cup games at Tucci's and besides the fact that we were fed at no cost the food was simply delicious.
    Thank you.

• Daniele Leone wrote:

03 Jul 2010 at 5:25 pm

Alberto please do not listen to all these negative comments, your food is the best hands down and what makes your place so special is your warm hospitality.
    There are only two places in South Florida that make great pizza 1# Tucci's and # 2 Fratelli la Bufala.

• H. Thompson wrote:

10 Jul 2010 at 11:59 pm

This place was absolutely horrid!! We walked in and it took several minutes to be greeted. After that, we waited an additional 15 minutes for a table and when one was available; the waiter gave it to the first people that walked in the door. The whole place stunk like putrid mop water and the kitchen help went from handling money and cleaning supplies to preparing pizzas without washing their hands. We walked out immediately after witnessing that disgusting practice. If I were you I would stay far away from the listeria contaminated eatery!!!

12 Jul 2010 at 12:51 pm

Seriously? I gotta tell you, I was eating there over the weekend, and think you might have been the guy who was offered a table and didn't want that table, and that is why you had to wait? I even believe you were carrying a Blockbuster Video. …. I would have to call BS on the fact that you witnessed disgusting practices.

Tucci's happens to be one of my favorite places, and by the looks of how busy it was the other night, it appears it is a favorite of dozens of others. They have a spotless health inspection report, and to say listeria really just sounds spiteful. Just because you had a bad experience waiting, doesn't mean you should go to this length and make slanderous claims around the web.

• Phil1336 wrote:

14 Mar 2011 at 6:42 pm

I haven`t been back to this Pizza joint since it closed down over a year ago as Red Rock Pizza. It was good then, but now……It Is Great!! I went their last night with my wife and we both enjoyed the Pizza and THE Chicken Wings! Having being spoiled eating some of the Best Pizza in North America for years in New Haven CT, Sally`s, Frank Pepe`s, and the best of the best,IMO The Modern Apizza on State ST. before moving to SO FL in 98`. Tucci`s is my favorite so far here in Palm Beach County. In Key West, FL Monroe County, I love Bubulua`s who`s owners are from New Haven, CT and have a damn close clone to the best of their home town. Not “Bashing” Anthony`s Coal Fired Pizza, having gone for many years to their original location in FT Lauderdale, with all due respect, the Wings and Pizza IMO don`t compare to Tucci`s. I say, with No Pun Intended……”A Job Well Done”!

• chris wrote:

23 Apr 2011 at 5:51 pm

Been eating here since they opened, hands down w/o a doubt the best pizza in South FL, and among the top in the U.S.easily. The sauce, the ingredients, the crust… all excellent. We love ours with their homemade meatballs and artichokes (which are actually fresh chunks and not skimpy shredded ones like other places). Everyone we’ve brought there has said it’s the best pizza they’ve ever had.

• Debbie P wrote:

06 Dec 2013 at 7:56 pm

We are Chicagoans that come to Boca a few times a year. Our first meal? Tucci’s every time. It is our favorite pizza. It’s amazing. When back in Chicago, we’ve often wished we could get Tucci’s. See you guys on the 17th!

• Phil L wrote:

07 Dec 2013 at 2:03 pm

Debbie P: Yu must have been amused about the recent Pzza War controversy that irrupted this past the week before last of THe Daily Show when Jon Stewart went on a week long rant “Bashing” Chicago Style Deep Dish Pan Pizza as (not) real Pizza but a thick mass of undercooked dough slopped on with a mess of undercooked Marinara Sauce and excessive cheese. Back in Chicago, fear not, there are a lot of Great NY and New Haven style Thin Crust PIzza Joinys
    1. Piece Brewery & Pizzeria 1927 W. North Ave 773-772-4422
    2. Vick & Nicks 8433 S. Pulaski 773-735-2050
    3. Castel Gandolu 800 Dearborn N. 312-787-2211
    4. Coal Fire 321 W. Grand Ave 312-226-2625

If and when or if you get to New Haven,CT The Modern Apizza on State St and Sally`s on Wooster St. Forgetabout Frank Pepe`s just down the Street. No longer in the same Class.