Rocco’s Pizza St. James – Best Pizza Long Island

Posted By: Pizza Expert on February 16th, 2009
Visit Rocco’s Pizza St. James – Best Pizza Long Island's Website

img_0617img_0621It is hard for me to discuss Rocco’s Pizza in St. James without sounding biased, but I want everyone to know I have no affiliation with anyone who works there.  I simply just love their pizza.

I stumbled onto Rocco’s Pizza one day when my sister needed to go to the bakery located next door.  Rocco’s Pizza is located on 429 Route 25A (631) 862-1600.  Although Rocco’s isn’t the fanciest of places from the outside, when the door opened and the wind blew towards me, I got a shot of an amazing smell into my nose.  Immediately after smelling Rocco’s I decided to walk inside and see what the pizza looked like.  At first I was confused, since they have so many pizzas on the counter.  My eyes eventually landed upon a Sicilian that reminded me of Umberto’s of New Hyde Park.  I ordered a slice to try it out back then.  This was before I even had this site.

img_0619img_0614As I walked into the store this day, I looked around a little bit and ordered a Sicilian slice.  Even though they had some out on the counter, the guy working there suggested I wait for a fresh pie that would be coming out of the oven in a few minutes.  Imagine that….he didn’t just want to sell the old slice and get rid of it, but it was more important to him that I got a fresh slice that would just be coming out.  These are some of the qualities that keep me coming back to this place and enjoying it as much as I do.

While waiting for the fresh pie to come out I noticed this beautiful looking pizza that the guy was making behind the counter.  After asking him what it was I was informed it was a Broccoli, Spinach, White, Lasagna Pizza they were making.  You can see the photos above to see just how beautiful this pizza came out, and how they almost make their pizzas like an artist makes a portrait.  My pizza came out of the oven, and it just looked awesome.  I almost jumped over the counter to cut the pie myself, since the 5 seconds it took the pizza guy to do it seemed like an eternity.  Upon sitting down with my 2 fresh slices, I was in awe that they weren’t soggy or falling apart.  They came out of the oven crisp and delicious!  Normally, a Sicilian pie falls apart if not properly rotated in the oven, but just like everything else this place does, they do with patience and TLC.  They make each pizza like it is the only one they have made all day.  The cheese is the highest quality, the sauce is nice, smooth and sweet, and the crust is just wonderful.

If you haven’t tried Rocco’s, I highly suggest you do.  I will give Rocco’s 7 out of 8 slices.  Tell them worstpizza sent you!

img_0618img_0616

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

429 Rt-25a, St. James, NY 11780

15 Responses to “Rocco’s Pizza St. James – Best Pizza Long Island”

• jimsock wrote:

15 Jun 2009 at 10:39 am

I've had Rocco's when I used to work in St. James – their pizza sucks. Can you not tell this fact by simply looking at the pictures? It's not even “pizza”.

15 Jun 2009 at 10:47 am

I vehemently disagree with you. I have been to rocco's dozens of times and it is amazing. Jim must have tried to get a job there and he was turned down and now he is bitter.

• jimsock wrote:

15 Jun 2009 at 10:54 am

LMAO….”Jim” has retired and could buy the place if he wanted to.

• mattspizza wrote:

15 Jun 2009 at 11:00 am

Jim,

You should know about sucking, ARGGRGLE

• jimsock wrote:

15 Jun 2009 at 5:39 pm

15 Jun 2009 at 5:47 pm

• jimsock wrote:

15 Jun 2009 at 5:54 pm

LMAO….”Jim” has retired and could buy the place if he wanted to.

• mattspizza wrote:

15 Jun 2009 at 6:00 pm

Jim,

You should know about sucking, ARGGRGLE

• john wrote:

14 May 2010 at 7:25 pm

Eggplant slice…amazing

• Hatejimsock wrote:

08 Oct 2010 at 4:53 pm

You should change your name to jim-sucks, every pizza you shoot down is great, Albert’s is awesome. Rocco’s is also very very good. What’s your favorite suck-boy?

• Elena Jo Ciambriello wrote:

27 Jan 2012 at 12:34 pm

ARE YOU THE SAME ROCCO’S THAT WAS ON ROCKAWAY BLVD IN QUEENS IN THE 60’S & 70’S……..BEEN LOOKING FOR THAT ROCCO’S ALL OVER THE PLACE WAS THE BEST PIZZA IN TOWN THEN MOVED WHEN CROSSBAY MOVIE THEATRE MOVED IN AND EXPANDED???

27 Jan 2012 at 12:39 pm

I don’t think these are the same owners.

Sent From iPhone

• Freedomlandmini (Rob F) wrote:

06 May 2012 at 5:04 pm

We just tried rocco’s today after I made an unusual call.  first off.. My wife and I are in Bay Shore having moved here 5 years ago from Freeport. We looked around for a few years and found a place on Bay Shore Rd called Rockafella’s that makes (imho) an outstanding pie.. But not quite what I wanted this day.  oh  second off.. my wife and i Also have an issue with (sigh ) sadly enough tomatoes, acid, caffine..etc  due to reflux (or something slight worse in my case) So Anthony and Mike at Rockafellas makes us adjusted or even “custom” pies without any tomatoes or tomato sauce. (and very little cheese for my wife) which I am holy indebted to them for.   But.. getting back to Rocco’s and this day.. we had been considering driving to Yonkers to Frank Pepe’s for a White Clam Pizza which we have had many many times,,, its that good.  but we didnt want to take the schlep.. so after reading about one place out in Jamesport which recommended taking the pie out (due to the attitude of the owner) and the absolute bad comments concering a place in Smithtown also on 25a (also due to the owner) I called Rocco’s and asked if they made a White Clam pizza?? They said no they did no.. so I asked if they had FRESH clams to shuck (not frozen which is the problem with most places) and they said they did… and he said he could make what I described (I described Pepe’s pie)
    So we drove up .. passed one place,.. which we thought would have it (previously described) and found Rocco’s.. Vinnie (who I had talked to) greeted us. and we sat down. and they made an excellent (though different from Pepe’s) white clam pie. We also got to watch as he made other pies using ricotta..and was amazed at how he did it…
    The garlic knots were delish..and the pie was very very good.. again.. I do like Pepe’s better.. but the gas and tolls and such.. well.. the simple fact that they could make something not on their menu and custom make it for my wife and I (like Rockafellas) puts them into a very select group!  dont believe me??? try  some average pizza place and ask for a custom pie..and here “oh we dont make that”  “would you?” “uh… no sorry”

so Rocco’s is on my YES list!!!

btw  a white clam pie doesnt have much… Romano, garlic, olive oil, oregano, and FRESHLY SHUCKED Clams…(ok  rocco’s chopped it.. my wife liked it,  i prefer them whole) but simply THEY did it and were damn proud of it!!!

• bobby bobby wrote:

19 Oct 2013 at 7:13 pm

For the first time , after living in st James over 20 years, we decided to try roccos pizza, placed an order for a pie, and my spouse picked it up. He walked in the door with the pizza and said, “THESE PEOPLE WERE NOT VERY PROFESSIONAL, NOT AT ALL’..THE GUYS BEHIND COUNTER WERE BACK AND FORTH SAYING , FUCK YOU , …AND CURSING..ETC..AND I HAD TO STAND THERE WAITING AS THEY CONTINUED..told them I was there for a pick up, and the guy looked at me like I had 4 heads…I repeated myself, and then he said, ‘yo, what DA name’, gave him my name..then gave me the pie. Not great pizza, just average. I don’t get why everyone raves about this place. Not at all. We also went next door to bakery GREAT BAKERY, AND BOUGHT AN APPLE TURNOVER…loved it . 2 days later, went back to get more bakery items, …and there were two workers inside Roccos pizza, one outside setting up tables, as they gave each other the finger…and began pushing each other around…not anyplace I would ever go back to. But tyher bakery next to it, INCREDIBLE!!!

19 Oct 2013 at 7:15 pm

We like that bakery a lot as well. I get the black and white cookies there.
    Sent From iPhone