Branchinelli’s Pizza Hauppauge Long Island

Posted By: Pizza Expert on February 22nd, 2009
Visit Branchinelli’s Pizza Hauppauge Long Island's Website

BranchellisEver have one of those “ooops, I shouldn’t have said anything moments?”  Well that is what happened to me when I went to Branchinelli’s Pizza in Hauppauge.

Branchinelli’s Pizza is located on 555 Route 111 in Hauppauge 631.724.6663.  My sister mentioned that this place must be good since it is always jammed.  When I first stepped inside I was amazed to see how jammed it was.  This place was super busy compared to all the other places I had gone before it this day.  There must have been like 7-9 people behind the counter helping people and 3-4 behind them making pizzas.  Plenty of oven space here.

We were greeted pretty quickly by an exceptionally nice guy.  I ordered one Sicilian slice and started waiting.  The kid behind the counter noticed my iPhone and we got into a conversation about stuff.  I mentioned to him I was from worstpizza.com and handed him a card telling him to check the site out.  Another guy behind the counter asked if I was the guy who was behind the site and I confirmed it.  He then asked what I thought of Colosseo in Port Jefferson Station.  As I am sure you all know, I went to Colosseo Pizza during a previous visit to Long Island and could not imagine for the life of me why people speak so highly of the pizza there.  It wasn’t anything near the Best Pizza in Long Island.    So, I responded with a “I think Colosseo stinks and is highly overrated and must pay the papers to rank it so high.”  That is when he informed me that they also owned Colosseo Pizza!  YIKES!

It was at this point I started to feel uncomfortable since the kid was about to call the owner over to introduce me, and I am sure he has been waiting to have some words with me!  Thank goodness the owner could care less to speak to a customer and walked away to do something else.  Remember how I always say, that the owners should interact with their customers?  Well I want to change this, and now say that Owners should always interact with their customers except for me at places I didn’t give great reviews too!

When the pizza came out I took a bite and noticed how crispy it was.  The pizza guy told me it is because they take pride in every pie they put out and make sure they all receive the proper rotations in the oven.  They have a system at Branchinelli’s, whereby the pizza hits all four corners of the oven during baking to ensure no cold spots.  I appreciate the care and pride they put into their pizza.  The cheese was nice and hot and the sauce was ok, the crust was crispy but didn’t have much taste to it.  I would definitely pick this place over Colosseo and say with absolute certainty that this place is better then Colosseo.

Branchinelli’s Pizza gets 5 out of 8 slices.

555 Route 111 Hauppauge, NY 11788-4359

27 Responses to “Branchinelli’s Pizza Hauppauge Long Island”

• mike wrote:

08 Mar 2009 at 10:00 pm

mamma cucinas in ronkonkama has the best pizza on long island.

• Roberto wrote:

14 Mar 2009 at 6:45 am

gonna give this pizza a try

• Kristin wrote:

25 Apr 2009 at 7:59 am

With no offense, the owner probably didn't speak to you because he is a jerk – trust me, I used to work for him. Thankfully, his restuarants do well, otherwise he would have absolutely nothing going for him. As a restaurant manager, I make sure to acknowledge a customers dissatisfaction…I would imagine that to be the right thing to do, seeing as I how take great pride in the restaurant where I am employed, and all of it's services.

I will admit, though, the pizza there is pretty good.

25 Apr 2009 at 8:04 am

Are you working at a new place that we should try?

• PizzaISgreat wrote:

27 May 2009 at 7:25 am

The pizza at Branchinelli's is DAM* good! So are their baked clams! 8 out of 8 slices is more accurate. Try their unbelievable Sicilian slices, too!

• jimsock wrote:

13 Jun 2009 at 3:10 pm

The slice in the picture doesn't look very good.
    This pizzeria used to be Don's pizza and back in the early 60's I used to get the best Sicilian slices there for 15 cents a slice.

13 Jun 2009 at 3:27 pm

I liked how passionate the kid was that I spoke to here, it was nice to see his enthusiasm behind their pizza. It didn't really do anything for me though! Nor did Colosseos which they also own.

• Barney wrote:

30 Jun 2009 at 6:27 am

I'm not sure how one qualifies themself as a pizza expert, but Branchianelli's is some of the best pizza in the country. The pizzas are always perfect, the sauce is excellent and they don't scrimp on cheese. The place is always crowded because NYers know pizza, and Branchianelli's is second only to Umbertos.

• Barney wrote:

30 Jun 2009 at 1:27 pm

• Josh wrote:

08 Feb 2010 at 7:27 pm

It is weird everyone seems to love this pizza but I think it is really plain. It has no taste. Its just bread sauce and cheese.. And the crust is floppy.

• Josh wrote:

08 Feb 2010 at 7:27 pm

• barney wrote:

18 Feb 2010 at 5:18 pm

The sauce is not plain. The sauce is fantastic and they put just the right amount of cheese on it. And the foldable crust is exactly the way it should be. Crust should hold the sauce and cheese and not get in the way.

• Ken wrote:

29 Apr 2010 at 4:46 pm

LOVE Brancinelli's Pizza grew up on it, well kind of. Would have it when we weren't in St. James. Would have Caligiuri's Patio Pizza on a regular basis!

• Bill wrote:

09 May 2010 at 7:37 pm

Kid, you're a legend in your own mind. Both Branchinelli's and Colosseo are excellent, I've been eating at both for years. Get a real job.

P.S. I am commenting as 'guest' because I don't even want to login to your crummy site.

09 May 2010 at 7:41 pm

“guest”

Would you go as far as calling Branchinelli's and Colosseo the best around?

• DMK wrote:

29 Jul 2010 at 5:10 pm

I gotta say, compared to all the pizza on Long Island (and I've had a LOT of pizza), Branchinelli's is one of my top picks. Good enough that when I had friends in from out of the country, that's where I took them for 'proper New York pizza'. – but I haven't had ALL the pizza on Long Island yet, so maybe there's something I'm missing out on…

• Petercinc wrote:

18 Sep 2010 at 4:38 am

The Best Pizza on Long Island is Alberts Pizza! Hands Down! Sauce on the top like LB Spumoni Gardens in Brooklyn! No competition!

• Chris wrote:

21 May 2011 at 1:27 am

I go to Branchinelli’s at least once a week. Bro you’re out of your mind to only give it a 5…clearly you’ve never had the buffalo chicken slice, just saying.

• […] pizza can taste from the same family using the same ingredients. In my opinion, the pizza at Branchinelli’s in Hauppauge has tasted the best. Yes better than Colosseo’s Pizza, and better than Pasta-eria in […]

• JP wrote:

14 Nov 2011 at 1:29 pm

This Pizza place is heavily supported by the local community.  The problem is that they are not appreciative of it.  I coach a U10 soccer team in Hauppauge and I went there to reserve a few tables so I can take the team out for lunch due to the end of our season only to be told that they don’t handle such functions.  I used to be a customer at least twice a week there.  They won’t be seeing my business anymore…

• jesse wrote:

23 Mar 2012 at 11:44 am

Nothing comes close to the flavor of Branchinelli’s pizza!  There’s a reason they never offer coupons and their prices are pretty high.  QUALITY!  And people appreciate it.  The sauce is cooked longer and they load the pie with lots of cheese.  My out of town guests stop there to pick up a pie before heading home.

• doubleexposure wrote:

27 Sep 2012 at 5:37 am

Branchinelli’s has the best pizza!!!!!! been going there for years, nothing beats it! I think sicilian is amazing there!!!!! MY FAV!!!

• mike A wrote:

28 Feb 2014 at 8:17 pm

This so called pizza expert is nothing but a expert in looking like a idiot. I would like to hear what place u think is the best. Not only is branchinellis pizza and colesseu pizza great their food is even better . The place is always packed and for good reasons. Anthony the owner is a gentleman and if I were him I would have kicked your ass out of the place because your ignorant and don’t know anything about pizza or good Italian food. What’s your name ? The pizza idiot.

28 Feb 2014 at 8:19 pm

Just because we disagree doesn’t make me an idiot.

Thanks

• Guest wrote:

30 Aug 2014 at 9:59 pm

Both the owners Mario and Emil are total jerks.
    Rather violent also. I know them both, from the NYC.
    They are related to Gino’s Italian Ice owner Gino.
    I’ve seen them beat up employees, when I worked at
    BOTH stores. Their last name is Branchinelli.
    When I worked there they made an excellent product
    and I know this because I MADE IT and I take great
    pride in everything that I do. They don’t keep around
    nasty old slices. If a house pizza stays longer
    than 30 minutes, it is tossed out. They want everyone
    to get the best that they have to give so they won’t let
    you have any pizza that isn’t fresh.
    To work there you had to be literally a “pizza machine”.
    That’s what they called me. I was the fastest that they
    had ever seen. They used to stand and stare and my speed.
    (29 sec from table to oven door)
    I used to fill up all four ovens in 2 minutes. They didn’t
    like me show boating because they were mad and jealous
    that I was so much
    better at the profession than they were. In the 80s I
    was making $18 and hour. This was the days before cheap
    Mexican illegal labor. I made close to $800 a week
    working for them. You can’t get hired at either place
    unless you REALLY were the best.
    I always made it my business to try every pizza place
    that I saw on Long Island. I never tasted any pizza
    better than Colosseo or Branchinelli. That’s because
    all the other pizza place owners were cheap skates
    who scrimped on the ingredients or mixed the good
    cheese with the cheap crappy cheese, and mixed the
    best sauce with the cheap crappy sauce.
    Colosseo or Branchinelli NEVER scrimped. They believed
    that spending for the best ingredients would pay itself
    back to them, and it did. When the best ingredients
    are used you can taste it, and it brings customers
    in by word of mouth. You definitely have no idea
    of what a great pizza tastes like, if you rate
    Colosseo or Branchinelli poorly. You just don’t
    know what good is. You have a distorted criteria
    on what constitutes a great pizza product.
    You’re like the kind of guy that would compare
    Progresso canned soup to a fine restaurant made
    from scratch soup. The kind of guy that would compare
    a Marie Calendar frozen meal to the food of a fine
    restaurant. Get a pallet first before you advise
    the public where and where not to go for quality
    pizza.

They def have the all the right ideas for getting on
    top and staying there. Other pizza store owners used
    to come in posed as customers and spy on us. I knew
    them all so I knew that they were store owners.
    When people get used to crappy pizza, they develop
    a approval curve on who is the best out of the crap.
    You have to KNOW what’s good to know when you’ve found it.

• Doreen wrote:

30 May 2015 at 6:37 pm

I think branchinellis has good food just too expensive. It’s pasta for Pete’s sake

• Jason wrote:

25 Jun 2015 at 4:16 pm

This reviewer must be from another planet. And in my opinion, has no clue about pizza, or no taste buds left.