Mario The Baker Opens Pizza Joint in Boca Raton

Posted By: Pizza Expert on October 20th, 2008
Visit Mario The Baker Opens Pizza Joint in Boca Raton's Website

After hearing that Mario The Baker opened up in Boca Raton, my son and I immediately headed over there.  Mario opened his latest pizza place in the former spot that Cousin Wowie’s used to be in, and before that it was some other pizza place.  For some reason, restaurants do not seem to last very long in this spot, even with the K-Mart anchor.

Mario The Baker seems to be smarter then the previous tenants, and only chose to take half of the previous location.  The other half has some type of Ice Cream place moving in.  When my son and I arrived, during regular business hours, we were quite surprised with how few people were eating there.  Besides us, there were only 2 other tables full.  If you listened to the yenta sitting at the table in front of us and closed your eyes, you would have imagined the place was packed.

The place smelled delicious and had a nice clean feeling to it.  The staff was great & attentive, and it was nice to see that the family who owned this Mario The Baker location were all present, including their cute little baby.  We ordered a plain pie and some Garlic Knots or Garlic Rolls.  I forget what they call them down here, since they change from place to place.  When the pizza arrived we were pleased with the presentation.  My son took the first slice and bit into it and seemed happy enough, so I proceeded to bite into my own.  The taste was nice.  The cheese was of a definite quality, but the sauce lacked a bit of taste.  The crust was a bit soggy, and not as crisp as it should be, based upon the thinness of it.  Don’t get me wrong, the crust had a decent taste to it, but I would rather them crisp it up a bit more, which could be accomplished by lowering the oven just a tad.

It is hard not to want to see a place like this suceed.  The owners family were so plesant and came over to talk with us to make sure everything was ok.  As we left a huge basketball party arrived and the place filled up quickly.  I will give Mario The Baker in Boca Raton 5 out of 8 slices, and will be trying it again soon to see if they correct the crust.

11 Responses to “Mario The Baker Opens Pizza Joint in Boca Raton”

• Tiff wrote:

20 Oct 2008 at 12:15 pm

No Garlic on the Rolls?? Even when you ask for extra

20 Oct 2008 at 12:23 pm

How funny, I did ask for extra and put it on myself. Personally I like the knots, and not the puffy rolls like they had

• mattspizza wrote:

21 Oct 2008 at 6:17 pm

I don't like rolls. They take too much valuable space in my tummy that would otherwise enjoy more pizza!

21 Oct 2008 at 6:26 pm

Disagree! A good garlic KNOT could be an excellent start!

• sherry wrote:

17 Nov 2008 at 12:10 am

if its the same Mario the baker in sunrise flroida forget it. Their pasta dishes are very good though. Why does Florida have such bad pizza

17 Nov 2008 at 5:56 am

This one was a franchise location and tasted a bit different. I went to the “original” in royal palm beach the other night and it tasted much better.

• Someone wrote:

13 Dec 2008 at 4:54 pm

Wowies Sports Grill has the best pizza in South Florida.

13 Dec 2008 at 5:50 pm

I have eaten at cousin wowies back when it was at their old location, and if it is even remotely like it used to be, you should have your taste buds checked if you think that it is the best.

• VivaItaliano wrote:

26 Mar 2009 at 8:44 am

We just gave these guys a second chance last night, and they disappointed just as they did the first time around. Mario the Baker has the worst pizza that I have tasted in South Florida. The cheese is okay, but the crust is like a bike tire and the sauce tastes like soap. We will NOT be eating there again.

• VivaItaliano wrote:

26 Mar 2009 at 3:44 pm

• […] this place I figured we should give it a try.  Many of you might have read my previous review on Mario The Baker in Boca Raton.  This is owned by different people, and is considered the flagship location alongside the one in […]