Nino’s Pizza Boca Raton – A Second Opinion

Posted By: Matt's Pizza on September 11th, 2008
Visit Nino’s Pizza Boca Raton – A Second Opinion's Website

I have been a fan of worstpizza for a long time and was honored when I became a reviewer.  Today marks another milestone.  I had lunch with the founder, Pizza Expert.  We went for, you guessed it, pizza.  Deciding where to go was a big question.  We decided on Nino’s Italian Restaurant in Boca Raton (7120 Beracasa Way N.W. Corner of Powerline and Palmetto Park Road, Del Mar Shopping Village (561) 392-9075.

We had heard that a change in ownership had left the pizza unrecognizable.  This troubled me deeply as I have believe this is the best pizza in Boca Raton.  Well let me tell you something.  As of today, the pizza is as good as ever.  Maybe better.  As I said in my previous review of Nino’s (July 14), this is the only pizza in Boca that comes close to New York Pizza.  It has a firm crust with a nice snap.  Good cheese and a nice sauce.  The Sicilian was good too.  Nice flavor and a lot of cheese.  I wouldn’t change a thing.  I am going to increase my previous rating from 6 and raise Nino’s to 6.5 slices out of 8 but I know Pizza Expert won’t allow for this, so it must stay at 6 on the slice rating scare.

And of course it was nice to meet Pizza Expert himself.  He knows his pizza and is honest with his reviews.  I also met Big G who just posted his first review and Keith who will be posting shortly.  It was a great day at www.worstpizza.com

30 Responses to “Nino’s Pizza Boca Raton – A Second Opinion”

• Big G wrote:

11 Sep 2008 at 9:22 am

Nice post Matt. Funny I just ate that pizza 24 hours ago and I am hungry right now for some more. I guess that's why I am Big G.

I will be covering the upper Keys in the short term. The reviews in that area can change day to day depending on the staff.

Welcome to the WP! I am sure we will share many pies in the future. Some good and some not so good. Do not skimp on the good quality ingredients people, We are on patrol.

• Pizza fan wrote:

11 Sep 2008 at 10:21 am

I love Nino's !!!

23 Jan 2009 at 12:39 pm

Very disappointed there last night. I was overcharged for my pizza. When I tried to explain that I was never charged for 2 basil toppings (only 1) when I don't even get cheese, I was reprimanded by the manager. They are rude, and their product is not good enough for them to blow away I good customer. I will never go back and I will tell my associates how they ripped me off.

Dr. Rosen

23 Jan 2009 at 12:49 pm

Do you remember the mangers name? I have personally never had a bad experience there and it alarms me that you did! A place should never let go of a good customer! Hopefully they read this and explain to you…

23 Jan 2009 at 1:13 pm

I did not get his name. But, I was shocked that he was arguing with me from behind the counter when I was still at the booth. He was wrong and I have the receipts to prove what I have been charged before. I will share my experience with other members of the medical community in Boca. This was handled very stupidly on their part.

• Mark wrote:

23 Jan 2009 at 1:49 pm

Hello Dr. Rosen, this is Marco. Owner of Ninos Boca. I just saw the comment you put on the site. I want to take this oportunity to apologize for the rude behavvior of one of my employees. He was not a manager. I was there last night why didn't you ask to speak with me? I'll speak to the employee in question I know who it is. They must have gotten confused. After all the pizza you get is unique. We don't make that pizza for anybody else. I do hope you forgive us and give us another try.

23 Jan 2009 at 2:12 pm

The fact is, I was overcharged and it was handled very badly. What incentive is there for me to come back?

23 Jan 2009 at 2:14 pm

I knew you would find this somehow! Well done Mark, I like it when owners show that they care enough to visit this and see what people say about them and interact with them.

• Mark wrote:

23 Jan 2009 at 3:22 pm

I would personally refund your $2.00 and make sure you have a wonderful experience.

23 Jan 2009 at 5:03 pm

Thanks for making me feel cheap! $2 is not the point, it was the way the situation was handled and the way I was spoken to that was the issue. If anything, the amount of basil applied to the pizza was substandard, but I didn't want to complain about it because there are much bigger problems in the world. I need to find a Pizza place that will treat me properly and I certainly hate spreading bad press, especially to my colleagues in the local medical community.

Dr. Rosen

• Mark wrote:

23 Jan 2009 at 5:12 pm

You took it the wrong way I wasn't trying to make you feel cheap I was just trying to rectify the situation. I was the first person you dealt with when you first came in. I don't know if you remember me. I'm just trying to make you happy.

23 Jan 2009 at 5:22 pm

What kind of pizza is it anyways Dr. Rosen that it is without cheese?

24 Jan 2009 at 11:54 am

It contains extra sauce, chunks of tomato, and fresh basil which covers the top of the Pizza after it comes out of the oven. I ended up getting charged for 3 toppings and I didn't even use any cheese. In the recent past, that was not the case. Very unreasonable. Sorry, it's not worth $20 for one of these pizzas. And if Mark really wants to make it right, he do can something beyond offering a $2 discount.

24 Jan 2009 at 12:01 pm

Is this like a vegetarian pie or something? I have never seen it made there. Can you take photos of it next time…if you are willing to give a next time. I would imagine if you go in and speak to mark directly that he would make things right for you. Perhaps he just doesn't want to give anyone else an idea through these comments. I would even meet you there one day!!

25 Jan 2009 at 11:39 am

As far as I am concerned, if he wants to invite me back for a complimentary pizza, I will go, and if the experience is pleasant, I will be his customer again. Otherwise, I will have to find a new place to eat. This pizza is actually my own creation, being a vegan, and it's much healthier than eating all of that cheese.

25 Jan 2009 at 12:25 pm

I might have to try this kind of pie. So what do you get on it? Is it just like tomato sauce, then some garlic and some basil? Is it cooked? What else is on it? I do not think we have ever reviewed this kind of pie before!
    In my personal opinion I do not think ninos will give a complimentary pie out, if they did this to everyone who complained, we wouldn't have the place opened anymore. Lots of people just look for freebies without really having an actual problem like you did. But with that being said I am a customer like you so I cannot decide what he will do. He appears to be a really decent guy though, so I would go in there and just speak to him…..He will try to make it right in any way that is beneficial for you both…..just one pizza experts opinion…

25 Jan 2009 at 1:56 pm

Lots of other places exist that will gladly take my money. And there are lots of good places to get pizza. If you don't treat your customers right, the word gets around and you will eventually go out of business, especially in this economy (which is getting worse).

25 Jan 2009 at 2:03 pm

Remember………..they overcharged me and they were nasty about it. They also embarrassed me in front of my companion. I chose not to make a scene because I had a companion with me. Otherwise, I would have been very pissed right there at the counter. The pizza is simple. It's about 3 times the usual amount of sauce, chunks of tomato, and then the entire pie is supposed to be covered with basil when it comes out of the oven. A little basil should be applied prior to cooking. The whole thing is then made slightly well done. It's tasty, and it's healthier.

25 Jan 2009 at 2:07 pm

BTW are you a dentist?

25 Jan 2009 at 2:09 pm

Yeah, i guess I would feel the same, but after having so many truly worse experiences at other places, I have found nino's to be pretty classy. Maybe it would be helpful if I went there with you one day?

25 Jan 2009 at 9:46 pm

That would be fine. I hope they don't poison me after this. I work in the medical imaging and cancer field.

25 Jan 2009 at 9:48 pm

Let me know an evening or weekend that you are free to go and I will go too. I am in need of a special pie he makes for me too!

27 Jan 2009 at 12:17 pm

If so many people were complaining, then they would be out of business anyway. Since there's been no further communication from Ninos, I'll just leave it alone. I have a nasty taste from the way I was treated and I'll make sure my colleges here in Boca know about it. As we have seen lately, there is no business that can't fail. You simply can't treat your customers like garbage and expect the word not to get around.

27 Jan 2009 at 12:24 pm

Please send me a photo of the pizza at the place you end up going. Want to see how this pie looks!!

08 Mar 2009 at 4:02 pm

Went back to Ninos a few days ago. It was an excellent experience. I decided to give this place another chance and I'm glad I did!

08 Mar 2009 at 4:17 pm

I am very happy you gave them another chance. I am a big fan of this place, and even a bigger fan of the management!

08 Mar 2009 at 11:02 pm

08 Mar 2009 at 11:17 pm

• Philaflava wrote:

12 Jan 2011 at 3:11 pm

This entire shtick is what gives you “know” who a bad name, and before you get wise I’m a member of the tribe myself. I’m just embarrassed by your carrying on and over-exaggerating just to prove a point, get free food and have your ass kissed. Doctor or not, you and your constant need to mention how you’re going to spread bad press to your colleagues is not only to contrived but extremely tacky. If you don’t like something, don’t go there but to champion a boycott or go out of your way to campaign a PR event is ridiculous. The manager was nice enough to come on here and answer you. He offered to make it right but you continued with your whiny rant.

This isn’t about the pizza or the 2 bucks, Doctor, this is about your ego.

• Upholstery Cleaning Boca Raton wrote:

14 Feb 2011 at 4:16 am

This post was very nicely written, and it also contains many useful facts.