Nino’s Ownership Change Doesn’t Affect Pizza

Posted By: Pizza Expert on September 10th, 2008
Visit Nino’s Ownership Change Doesn’t Affect Pizza's Website

Matt, Big G, Keith & Myself, went to try the pizza at Nino’s Italian Restaurant in Boca Raton today. After hearing bad things about the pizza since the change of ownership, we decided it was best left into the hands of experts to decide whether or not things have changed.

We ordered 1 regular pie, and one Sicilian pie. Both came out hot and tasty, and I didn’t notice anything different about the pizza, except the positive differentiator of having more cheese on the Sicilian then they used to put. Anyone who claims Nino’s Pizza tastes differently, is obviously someone from the original crew who split up and are trying to bad mouth the establishment. Just because Nino’s Pizzaria’s website totally sucks, does not mean the pizza sucks. If I were Nino’s, I would use a photo of my actual pizza instead of some generic istock photo that they have on the front page of their website. It is very unappetizing, and your regular pizza looks light years better.

The verdict is still out on whether or not the original crew and current owners of the Boca Raton location are remaining friendly, but their website still shows the Delray Beach location where the original crew went, so perhaps it was more amicable then early reports said. I will give Nino’s in Boca Raton 6 out of 8 slices. Should probably be a 5 but I haven’t had anything good to compare it to recently.

29 Responses to “Nino’s Ownership Change Doesn’t Affect Pizza”

• Mark wrote:

10 Sep 2008 at 3:48 pm

Thank you for coming out and trying our pizza. I'm glad you enjoyed yourselves. I just wanted to clairify the story. Nino's in Boca used to be Thick and Thin Pizza, which was originally owned by my uncle Peter and my father Ross. They broke off from each other in 1981, at which time my father opened CJ's Pizza in Plantation. The place was a gold mine. In 1987 my father bought Thick and Thin in Boca from my uncle Peter. At that time Nino was a pizza man working under a manager there. (My father and Nino were childhood friends from Ridgewood, New York). So, the next day my father made Nino the manager. When Nino was able to obtain the money, my father let him buy in 50% of his business. He did this out of repect for their friendship. For the record, not only are our recipies going to remain consistantly flavorful, our loyal customers will also remain.

10 Sep 2008 at 5:28 pm

Mark, keep up the quality and nobody will notice any changes. It is when a place starts skimping out on quality ingredients that people will not come back. We will keep coming back and hope to meet you one day.

• mattspizza wrote:

10 Sep 2008 at 7:13 pm

Mark, any relation to the Thick and Thin on 441?

• Mark wrote:

11 Sep 2008 at 10:24 am

My uncle Peter still owns that location. My father and I have no affiliation.

• Mark wrote:

11 Sep 2008 at 10:24 am

My uncle Peter still owns that location. My father and I have no affiliation.

• Upset With Ninos wrote:

13 Sep 2008 at 4:54 am

I must tell you we went to Ninos last night and it SUCKED!!!! its definitely NOT the same. Matt is not keeping up quality – I have went to ninos for years and its getting worse. Thinking of not going back period this is third time it disappointed me – ill try one more time for old times sake but if it doesnt improve soon Ninos will be a gonner!!!!!!!!!!!! So fix it – Are you listening MATTTY!!!!

13 Sep 2008 at 8:54 am

Mark. I would really suggest losing the waiters during lunch. People don't have time or money to waste having someone bring them the food from the counter. Let us order and seat ourselves without the hassle.

• Mark wrote:

13 Sep 2008 at 9:13 am

My name is Mark. Not Matt. Come by and have a slice on me. You could try the sicilian and the regular. Give me your honest opinion. Look forward to meeting you.

• Upset With Ninos wrote:

14 Sep 2008 at 6:45 am

Thanks for the offer Mark but ill still come in again for one last try there are things you need to do to put this place to the way it was. Ill send you my list of comments and things that would take this place back. Sorry so harsh but I was pissed and frustrated. NINO's was my favorite place before you guys took it over and just want it back.

14 Sep 2008 at 7:08 am

I, am axiously waiting to see your comments as well. Personally I have tried the pizza twice now and have not noticed any substantial difference in a negative manner? Curious to see what you think they changed to make it so bad.

• Mark wrote:

15 Sep 2008 at 3:10 pm

Sorry, it took so long to reply. I've been really busy. I would love for you to come in and ask for me in person. I'm here seven days a week. I would like to sit down with you and go over what I've changed that's not to your likeing. I would make a pizza for you myself. Then you can tell me what you like or dislike.

• Concerned Diner wrote:

16 Sep 2008 at 8:05 am

My family and I have been dining at Nino's for over 10 years. Since the ownership has changed the food quality has deteriorated. The shrimp in the shrimp marinara dinner were “mushy” and did not taste good. Also, the eggplant is just not as tasty as before. The pizza has not changed significantly but the crust is certainly thicker. And, we miss Manny's smiling face behind the counter!

• Mark wrote:

16 Sep 2008 at 10:32 am

Ownership has not changed here. Ross IS the original owner. He has owned Nino's since it was Thick & Thin. The recipe's and the chefs has remained the same. As for the shrimp, I went to a bigger count instead of 16/20's I went to a U10. The 16/20's looked like nothing on the dish. Not only that, they were using black tiger shrimp. Black tigers are a much cheaper product, they have a muddy taste as well. The ecuadorian whites that I'm using are superior in all regards. (Also much more exspensive. With no price increase).

• Concerned Diner wrote:

16 Sep 2008 at 11:29 am

I know he always has been the owner but he was a silent partner. With respect to the shrimp it was never “mushy” before. And, you may want to reconsider the expensive cost for a small dinner salad. I would have to imagine that most reasonable people would think that a small bowl of green lettuce should not cost close to $6.00. Before you get excited I do realize that it was this outrageous price prior to Ross taking over the full ownership of the restaurant but you should definitely lower it to somewhere around $3.00. I have heard other people complain about this in the restaurant.

16 Sep 2008 at 11:52 am

Maybe you should consider giving the people what they liked and not worry about the more expensive items. It they weren't broken, they didn't need to be fixed. I would guess since this person noticed the change, they were passionate enough about your food to complain.

16 Sep 2008 at 11:52 am

Miss it? I dont think I ever saw that guy smile?

• Mark wrote:

17 Sep 2008 at 10:28 am

I wouldn't hesitate to change the shrimp back. But, a majority of the other customers commented on how much better the new shrimp are compares to the old.

• Mark wrote:

17 Sep 2008 at 10:35 am

On the salad issue. The size of the $6.00 salad just got a lot bigger. I told my crew to use a much larger platter for the house salad.

• Concerned Diner wrote:

18 Sep 2008 at 7:56 am

I was just there a few days ago and the house salad that comes with the dinners are the same size they have always been and it is the same size if you order the salad separately. Do you really think $6.00 for a bowl of lettuce is reasonable??? (and cukes when you have them) And, during lunch it is the same cost to order the special which comes with 1/2 sandwich, a slice of pizza and the house salad or to just order a salad separately so you tell me what makes sense!

• Concerned Diner wrote:

18 Sep 2008 at 9:06 am

I am assuming they did not receive the mushy batch.

• Mark wrote:

18 Sep 2008 at 6:44 pm

I changed the size of the salads after I read your post yeterday.

• Concerned Diner wrote:

19 Sep 2008 at 7:01 am

I don't think it is the size of the salad that is the issue. I think you need to lower the price. People may just want a side salad and not pay $6.00 for it. If they want an entree salad they will order a different one. Just trying to help.

• Dr. Rosen wrote:

05 Feb 2009 at 12:02 pm

The attitude in the place is typical Boca…………..it sucks.

• Hungry in West Boca wrote:

13 Feb 2009 at 2:45 pm

I love the pizza at Nino's, its by far the best in the area, but they just told me I am out of their delivery area. Strange.

• mattspizza wrote:

13 Feb 2009 at 2:49 pm

I think it's very friendly! What sucked?

• Dr. Rosen wrote:

02 Mar 2009 at 9:10 pm

The way the guy screamed at me from behind the counter when I was at the booth after I was overcharged. He reprimanded me. I might give them another chance, anyway. Anyone can have a bad night and I haven't found better pizza in town.

03 Mar 2009 at 5:09 am

Tell me when you will go so I can try to go as well

• Dr. Rosen wrote:

10 Mar 2009 at 9:59 am

2 recent experiences were excellent. These guys now have the best pizza in Boca.

• Dr. Rosen wrote: