Who Says New York Pizza Is Better? Colosseo Pizza in Port Jefferson Isn’t

Each year Aol puts out a cities best guide, to let the locals know which place is the best in different categories.  One of our readers here at worstpizza sent me this list of their picks for best pizza in Long Island, New York, since I was visiting my famiy last week there. click here […]

4 / 8
Slice Rating

Who Says New York Pizza Is Better? Colosseo Pizza in Port Jefferson Isn’t

Posted By: Pizza Expert
View site

click here to read the list

I ordered 1 regular and 1 Sicilian and Greg ordered a regular and a grandma slice.  The Sicilian was better then the regular, but neither was better then a place like Nino’s Pizza in Boca Raton.  It would be naturally assumed that pizza in New York would be held to a higher standard and that the patrons eating at these establishments would demand high quality food.  For all those who vote for this place, I suggest leaving your little town of Port Jefferson and experiencing what else the world or just other towns in Long Island have to offer.

The main problem with this slice is the sauce.  The cheese tasted good and the crust was flimsy, but still ok.  Colosseo, you need to change your sauce to something less acidic.  Try sweetening it up a bit and allow the pizza to cook longer to get crispy.  You might want to consider leaving your sauce simmering in the oven throughout the day and then placing the sauce on the pizza you are about to make already hot.

It will be terribly difficult for me to give any validity to the AOL cityguide for future reference.  Since in New York city and the boroughs they seemed pretty spot on I thought I could trust them for Long Island.  Needless to say, their number one pick I agree with, is great (watch for review of Umberto’s Of New Hyde Park) but the rest of the ones I have tried, including Emilio’s, Massas, fail to meet the standards I look for. I am giving Colosseo Pizza in Port Jefferson New York 4 out of 8 Slices.  Try Albert’s Pizza in Ronkonkoma instead!  My suggestion to CityGuide:  Use Me Next Year to Help!

• make an

• 1049 Route 112 Port Jeffrsn Sta, NY 11776-6000

• *
  • *

86 Responses to “Who Says New York Pizza Is Better? Colosseo Pizza in Port Jefferson Isn’t”

• Harris wrote:
    26 Aug 2008 at 4:18 pm

Wow. You really don't know pizza. Pretty big flaw at a web site putatively devoted to reviewing pizza.

26 Aug 2008 at 4:46 pm

Harris, I myself, am an expert. You are not. I do not make flaws. Tell me why I should have possibly considered this place to be even remotely better then I thought it was? I have had pizza all over the world and this my friend, is not great pizza.

• hosny wrote:
    27 Aug 2008 at 2:59 am

You've obviously been eating too much of that garbage they try and pass off as “pizza” in South Florida to know what's good and what's bad. You should keep to reviewing the Ragu and Kraft cheese concoctions (read:abominations) they cook up in Boca and leave the authentic stuff to serious epicures of pizza.

You have the palate of a five-year-old and it shows in your insipid reviews.

27 Aug 2008 at 5:54 am

Ok Harris, oooops I mean hosny, I guess I found the only two people from Port Jefferson Station who can use the words putatively and insipid. Miraculous how they both chose to come and leave a comment so close to each other. Tell you what, next time I am in town, I will give Colosseo Pizza another try, like to do to all places. You are more then welcomed to join me so you can explain to me what I am missing. Then we will go to Alberts Pizza together and tell me if I still have not taste.

• Goss wrote:
    30 Sep 2008 at 2:18 pm

This review was laughable. I have eaten at both Colosseo and Albert's, and there's no comparison: Albert's tastes like Red Baron frozen pizza. Colosseo is 100 times better.

I suggest the reviewer not quit his or her day job.

30 Sep 2008 at 2:28 pm

I think you should leave the reviewing to the experts. Obviously you are related to colosseo somehow. Next time I am in town I will give this a second chance, but if it is anything like my first experience, they will get the same rating!

• lucille wrote:
    05 Oct 2008 at 1:44 am

It's been about three or four months since I've been to Colosseo, but unless the place has just completely gone to hell, I find this review very hard to believe. The pizza there is delicious.

05 Oct 2008 at 7:10 am

Can you explain to me what you thought was so great about this?

06 Oct 2008 at 5:55 pm

dude, your crazy. colosseo is the best pizza there is. get a pie next time, not slices. everybody knows its better fresh.

ive been going to colosseo for about 15 years now, and each and every slice is wonderful. the sauce is top notch, and the cheese is amazing.

FACT: floridians dont know pizza. seriously.

06 Oct 2008 at 6:08 pm

This Floridian is born and raised for about 30 years in New York. If Colosseo is the best you have, then perhaps you should travel elsewhere and experience quality pizza. Do you agree on other places I have said were great? What other places besides this Colosseo do you think are good?

• MarieCW wrote:
    10 Oct 2008 at 9:39 am

Wow. I can only say that your definition of good pizza is *extremely* different from mine, if you think Colosseo needs to sweeten their sauce, and Massa's is not meeting your standards. I guess it's a Florida thing, much like Chicagoians call their casserole dish “pizza”. Call it what you like, it doesn't make it so. For me, Colosseo holds its own against the best, and Massa's is about as good a *real* pizza as anyone can buy.

10 Oct 2008 at 9:54 am

Where else do you like? Do you like Umberto's? Do you Like Rosas?

15 Oct 2008 at 3:32 pm

ive traveled around the united states, and experienced many different pizzas, and with the exception of chicago, i could not find pizza that was even half as good as colosseo let alone new york pizza.

and as for other places, there arent really any other pizza places nearby colosseo that stands out as much as colosseo does

15 Oct 2008 at 7:04 pm

Ok! Someone has to explain to me what makes their pizza so good? Usually if it is one person, I can say I am right they are wrong, but now the masses are disagreeing so I need to understand what made you think this pizza was so special?

• jim wrote:
    16 Oct 2008 at 4:46 pm

i'm trying to figure out what's less impressive, your review of pizza, or your cocky attitude. “I myself, amd an expert”. Give me a break, what makes you an expert? Because you blog about pizza? Unreal.

16 Oct 2008 at 5:01 pm

Do you have a site that says you are an expert? Didn't think so. And as an expert I know excellent pizza when I taste it, and this wasn't excellent.

• ned wrote:
    19 Oct 2008 at 6:16 pm

I have a blog that reviews bloggers that review types of food. Therefore I am an expert, and you my friend, stink.

19 Oct 2008 at 6:19 pm

Please provide us all with the name so we could go and see your reviews. Is it

24 Oct 2008 at 12:31 pm

the sauce, the cheese, the quality of it all! you must have had a bad waitress or something, you have to give them another chance

24 Oct 2008 at 12:38 pm

I will definitely try it again, but in disguise so I do not get harassed.

26 Oct 2008 at 11:17 am

haha, ok, let me know what you think. i promise you wont be dissapointed

• LJ wrote:
    09 Nov 2008 at 9:52 am

Has anyone ever tried Bella Roma in Coram,…..tastes like my Italian grandmother is working in the kitchen(IMHO)…the crust is sweet and light ,the sauce is just right,.give it a try ~Craig,I think it's worth reviewing

• Pizza Nazzi wrote:
    14 Nov 2008 at 1:52 pm

Finally, someone else who experienced the not so flattering pizza at Colosseo in Port Jeff Station. Please check out the review at
    I think that so many Islanders go here is because:
    (1) They don't know any better, (2) They have been going here for years and so have their parents so it's just something to fill up to and (3)'s busy..It's gotta be good.

The pizza is as dreary as the rainy day pic you have of the building. The workers are also arrogant for no good reason and get pissy if you tell them “Not too hot” or God forbid, “Extra Cheese Please.”
    A close 2nd to the worst pizza on Long island is FRATELLIS in StonyBrook Village.
    There are 2 Italian guys there but they are always busy yelling and NOT COOKING.
    The sauce is sweet, like Sweet-n-Low is used and the cheese is tasteless.
    Great Blog Fellas! After reading the reviews below I think the Island is crazy.
    The pizza SUCKS…the crust is doughy and the only reason you go there is frankly, they are open late and you need something to eat when the line is too long at White Castle.
    My dog got the shits from eating leftover ALPO..I mean Colosseo food.

• Suzy wrote:
    18 Nov 2008 at 8:04 pm

Wow you guys are totally freaking out over this. I have gone to various pizzerias, currently live on Long Island and I think Colosseo has great pizza. It's nothing compared to any pizza I've eaten in the Bronx but it's good nonetheless. I find it surprising that some of you didn't like the sauce, when it's the sauce that I thought made the pizza taste so good.

Guess it's just a question of likes/dislikes. Anybody try Tony's Pizza in the Bronx, right off the Throggs Neck? I think it's Castle Hill area…. the pizza is so big it doesn't fit on a plate.

18 Nov 2008 at 8:12 pm

Can you get a photo of Tony's Pizza??

19 Nov 2008 at 12:34 pm

pizza nazzi, you dont know anything. your name is pizza nazzi, are you retarded?
    you obviously dont know good pizza. at least craig is giving it another shot.

• pizza nazi wrote:
    21 Nov 2008 at 5:55 pm

Mrs. Anonymous..Craig and I write the truth. Stop and think about it. Go west and try pizza in Nassau..Queens.NYC….even Rosa's in Penn Station..excellent.
    It's funny how morons get so pissed off over someone “dissing”their hometown pizzaeria.
    I have given this dump a few shots…and everytime they come up short.
    The people working there are rude and ignorant and the quality of items are not the best. I will give it another shot when I stop shitting from their excessive use of canola oil.

24 Nov 2008 at 4:05 pm

i am in nassau county, queens, and penn station every single weekend, and have eaten at “rosa's” many times. its garbage. seriously. it tastes like re heated crap. the pizza in nassau is good however, but it is not colosseo quality. im not an “avid hometown fan” or whatever you called me about colosseo. in fact, i think its overpriced, but thats another story. the fact is, they have the highest quality of pizza i have ever tried. if you think the shithole rosa's can even compare to colosseo, then somethings wrong with you. and as for the service at colosseo, maybe they serve you shit because you're a prick. i'd do the same thing if i was waiting your table. everytime i am there, my waitress/waiter is always nice, definitley not rude, and certaintly not ignorant. the only flaw of there service, i will admit, is that the pizza takes a little longer than it should. other than that, perfection

• Karen G. wrote:
    27 Nov 2008 at 7:22 pm

Wow , this woman who loves Colosseos is a fag! You guys are fighting about pizza. .good job. Rosa's pizza is quite good. I have had Colosseos and you cannot compare it to NYC pizza. Colosseos is so over rated and kind of slimy. Pizza on the island is not really that good. If this queer hates Rosa's so much why does the he-she eat there often? Good job.

29 Nov 2008 at 11:02 pm

wow, your a bitch. i said i am there often, not that i eat there often. learn to read dumb ass

30 Nov 2008 at 1:24 pm

and btw, its rose pizza, not rosa's. i walked by it yesterday

• Karen G. wrote:
    03 Dec 2008 at 3:15 pm

Look you little jerk-off, Google it. Put in Rosa's Pizza Penn Station you ignorant illegal. Telling me to learn to read? Learn to spell and use punctuation properly. Typical person who eats at Colosseo's. Are you one of Branchenelli's boys?
    Here is the proof you jack ass.
    Rosas PizzaPenn Plaza, LIRR Level 212-629-7455
    Educate yourself , get your GED and get out of your mom's basement you fatherless loser. Oh here we go, now tell us you are at college or going to CIA or a wealthy industrialist. Get back to Walmart you twit. Where else has great food? Ground Round? Hess Gas Station? I bet you would say the food is better at Taco Bell than at a real Mexican restaurant.

03 Dec 2008 at 3:19 pm

It happens to be Rosa's, at least the one I have mentioned before….

03 Dec 2008 at 8:54 pm

i dont know where you guys are going, but the only 2 places i have seen at penn are caruso's and rose pizza. and karen, your a bitch. im not even gonna waste my time responding to you

03 Dec 2008 at 9:05 pm

Lets say you turn around from the ticket counter and face the restaurants. Head all the way to the left and keep going down and you will see Rosa's on the right hand side. I haven't been there since that last visit to NYC though.

07 Dec 2008 at 4:22 pm

lets say you to go there sometime soon. i just went today, and the sign read “rose pizza”

07 Dec 2008 at 4:25 pm

go there idiots. you can clearly see the “se” at the end of “Rose” in “Rose Pizza”

god you guys are retarded

07 Dec 2008 at 4:40 pm

Wow! This definitely looks like the place I was talking about. Either you are a genius at photoshop or they changed owners and the names!!! Thanks for pointing this out!!

11 Dec 2008 at 6:41 pm

i have never used photoshop in my life. go there, seriously…its rose pizza, not rosa's…and you cant disagree unless you actually go there and see for yourself

11 Dec 2008 at 7:12 pm

I started a new string here cause the others were getting cut off. But I only wish I still lived in NYC and could try Rose or Rosa's everyday!

• ryan wrote:
    28 Dec 2008 at 5:16 pm

Here is the proof you jack ass.
    Rosas PizzaPenn Plaza, LIRR Level 212-629-7455

• imatsk wrote:
    16 Jan 2009 at 1:54 pm

I have to agree with craig the pizza there sucks. For all those that say theres no good pizza near by either, try Caruso's in rocky point.

16 Jan 2009 at 2:06 pm

Finally a real person not sent here by the staff to argue! I will certainly try Caruso's next time I am in town!

31 Jan 2009 at 10:41 am

how about you try going to your own link before you post it you dumb doesnt even work

• […] if I was the guy who was behind the site and I confirmed it.  He then asked what I thought of Colosseo in Port Jefferson Station.  As I am sure you all know, I went to Colosseo Pizza during a previous […]

• Slick Rick wrote:
    19 Mar 2009 at 11:37 am

You are clueless. Colosseo's pizza is delicious.

19 Mar 2009 at 11:41 am

I might be clueless, but you are the idiot that actually eats there!

• Crazy_U2_Nin-ja wrote:
    23 Apr 2009 at 2:56 pm

I have no idea what you're talking about. I've lived in Port Jefferson Station for all my life. I've been to many pizza places. Collesuau is, and always will be, the best. The crust is fine, and the sauce isn't acidic like you said. Second from Collesau is Porto Bello and Carnival.

• M.F. wrote:
    20 May 2009 at 8:11 pm

There's a reason that this pizza place ONLY sells pizza. Not to mention that there are 12 pizza places within 1 mile of this one, and only 7500 people in the whole town. This place has been open for about 30 years. I know people who Fed-Ex this pizza to foreign islands because they miss it so much.

That said, I seriously doubt you are qualified to judge pizzas, ESPECIALLY since you reference “Florida” in your review. My grandma lives in DelRey Beach, and I have eaten all the pizza around there, it SUCKS.

Sometimes the regular slice is not the best, but THE SICILIAN PIZZA at Colosseo cannot be beat. I live in Bed Stuy Brooklyn and work in NYC. I have not yet found a Sicilian slice around here to match the fluffy soft middle and crispy crust and great tasting San Marzano tomato sauce of Colosseo Sicilian.

The owner, Mr. Iannuzzi is straight out of Italy, with a thick accent. His kids are taking over his business now. If that is not authentic, what is? His sauce is straight outta Italy, son.

Obviously, you are either their competition trying to play them down, or the heat from the Florida sun has taken it's toll on your head.

Your entire website is discredited because we now know your ill palate. Colosseo even has its own fan page, with 1000 members on Facebook. Go back to Florida, I bet you think their bagels are far superior to NY's as well.

• Brad wrote:
    02 Jul 2009 at 3:18 pm

Wow. How can you be a food critic when you clearly have no taste buds. Do the world a favor and kill yourself the next time you think you are going to give people advice about food. Maybe if CityGuide needs somebody to review the best place to die of old age in Boca Raton or the best Gay bars in Palm Springs you can help them with that.