Who Says New York Pizza Is Better? Colosseo Pizza in Port Jefferson Isn’t

Posted By: Pizza Expert on August 3rd, 2008
Visit Who Says New York Pizza Is Better? Colosseo Pizza in Port Jefferson Isn’t's Website

Each year Aol puts out a cities best guide, to let the locals know which place is the best in different categories.  One of our readers here at worstpizza sent me this list of their picks for best pizza in Long Island, New York, since I was visiting my famiy last week there.

click here to read the list

I ordered 1 regular and 1 Sicilian and Greg ordered a regular and a grandma slice.  The Sicilian was better then the regular, but neither was better then a place like Nino’s Pizza in Boca Raton.  It would be naturally assumed that pizza in New York would be held to a higher standard and that the patrons eating at these establishments would demand high quality food.  For all those who vote for this place, I suggest leaving your little town of Port Jefferson and experiencing what else the world or just other towns in Long Island have to offer.

The main problem with this slice is the sauce.  The cheese tasted good and the crust was flimsy, but still ok.  Colosseo, you need to change your sauce to something less acidic.  Try sweetening it up a bit and allow the pizza to cook longer to get crispy.  You might want to consider leaving your sauce simmering in the oven throughout the day and then placing the sauce on the pizza you are about to make already hot.

It will be terribly difficult for me to give any validity to the AOL cityguide for future reference.  Since in New York city and the boroughs they seemed pretty spot on I thought I could trust them for Long Island.  Needless to say, their number one pick I agree with, is great (watch for review of Umberto’s Of New Hyde Park) but the rest of the ones I have tried, including Emilio’s, Massas, fail to meet the standards I look for. I am giving Colosseo Pizza in Port Jefferson New York 4 out of 8 Slices.  Try Albert’s Pizza in Ronkonkoma instead!  My suggestion to CityGuide:  Use Me Next Year to Help!

1049 Route 112 Port Jeffrsn Sta, NY 11776-6000

86 Responses to “Who Says New York Pizza Is Better? Colosseo Pizza in Port Jefferson Isn’t”

• Harris wrote:

26 Aug 2008 at 4:18 pm

Wow. You really don't know pizza. Pretty big flaw at a web site putatively devoted to reviewing pizza.

26 Aug 2008 at 4:46 pm

Harris, I myself, am an expert. You are not. I do not make flaws. Tell me why I should have possibly considered this place to be even remotely better then I thought it was? I have had pizza all over the world and this my friend, is not great pizza.

• hosny wrote:

27 Aug 2008 at 2:59 am

You've obviously been eating too much of that garbage they try and pass off as “pizza” in South Florida to know what's good and what's bad. You should keep to reviewing the Ragu and Kraft cheese concoctions (read:abominations) they cook up in Boca and leave the authentic stuff to serious epicures of pizza.

You have the palate of a five-year-old and it shows in your insipid reviews.

27 Aug 2008 at 5:54 am

Ok Harris, oooops I mean hosny, I guess I found the only two people from Port Jefferson Station who can use the words putatively and insipid. Miraculous how they both chose to come and leave a comment so close to each other. Tell you what, next time I am in town, I will give Colosseo Pizza another try, like to do to all places. You are more then welcomed to join me so you can explain to me what I am missing. Then we will go to Alberts Pizza together and tell me if I still have not taste.

• Goss wrote:

30 Sep 2008 at 2:18 pm

This review was laughable. I have eaten at both Colosseo and Albert's, and there's no comparison: Albert's tastes like Red Baron frozen pizza. Colosseo is 100 times better.

I suggest the reviewer not quit his or her day job.

30 Sep 2008 at 2:28 pm

I think you should leave the reviewing to the experts. Obviously you are related to colosseo somehow. Next time I am in town I will give this a second chance, but if it is anything like my first experience, they will get the same rating!

• lucille wrote:

05 Oct 2008 at 1:44 am

It's been about three or four months since I've been to Colosseo, but unless the place has just completely gone to hell, I find this review very hard to believe. The pizza there is delicious.

05 Oct 2008 at 7:10 am

Can you explain to me what you thought was so great about this?

06 Oct 2008 at 5:55 pm

dude, your crazy. colosseo is the best pizza there is. get a pie next time, not slices. everybody knows its better fresh.

ive been going to colosseo for about 15 years now, and each and every slice is wonderful. the sauce is top notch, and the cheese is amazing.

FACT: floridians dont know pizza. seriously.

06 Oct 2008 at 6:08 pm

This Floridian is born and raised for about 30 years in New York. If Colosseo is the best you have, then perhaps you should travel elsewhere and experience quality pizza. Do you agree on other places I have said were great? What other places besides this Colosseo do you think are good?

• MarieCW wrote:

10 Oct 2008 at 9:39 am

Wow. I can only say that your definition of good pizza is *extremely* different from mine, if you think Colosseo needs to sweeten their sauce, and Massa's is not meeting your standards. I guess it's a Florida thing, much like Chicagoians call their casserole dish “pizza”. Call it what you like, it doesn't make it so. For me, Colosseo holds its own against the best, and Massa's is about as good a *real* pizza as anyone can buy.

10 Oct 2008 at 9:54 am

Where else do you like? Do you like Umberto's? Do you Like Rosas?

15 Oct 2008 at 3:32 pm

ive traveled around the united states, and experienced many different pizzas, and with the exception of chicago, i could not find pizza that was even half as good as colosseo let alone new york pizza.

and as for other places, there arent really any other pizza places nearby colosseo that stands out as much as colosseo does

15 Oct 2008 at 7:04 pm

Ok! Someone has to explain to me what makes their pizza so good? Usually if it is one person, I can say I am right they are wrong, but now the masses are disagreeing so I need to understand what made you think this pizza was so special?

• jim wrote:

16 Oct 2008 at 4:46 pm

i'm trying to figure out what's less impressive, your review of pizza, or your cocky attitude. “I myself, amd an expert”. Give me a break, what makes you an expert? Because you blog about pizza? Unreal.

16 Oct 2008 at 5:01 pm

Do you have a site that says you are an expert? Didn't think so. And as an expert I know excellent pizza when I taste it, and this wasn't excellent.

• ned wrote:

19 Oct 2008 at 6:16 pm

I have a blog that reviews bloggers that review types of food. Therefore I am an expert, and you my friend, stink.

19 Oct 2008 at 6:19 pm

Please provide us all with the name so we could go and see your reviews. Is it worstbloggers.com?

24 Oct 2008 at 12:31 pm

the sauce, the cheese, the quality of it all! you must have had a bad waitress or something, you have to give them another chance

24 Oct 2008 at 12:38 pm

I will definitely try it again, but in disguise so I do not get harassed.

26 Oct 2008 at 11:17 am

haha, ok, let me know what you think. i promise you wont be dissapointed

• LJ wrote:

09 Nov 2008 at 9:52 am

Has anyone ever tried Bella Roma in Coram,…..tastes like my Italian grandmother is working in the kitchen(IMHO)…the crust is sweet and light ,the sauce is just right,.give it a try ~Craig,I think it's worth reviewing

• Pizza Nazzi wrote:

14 Nov 2008 at 1:52 pm

Finally, someone else who experienced the not so flattering pizza at Colosseo in Port Jeff Station. Please check out the review at http://www.AManintheKitchen.com
    I think that so many Islanders go here is because:
    (1) They don't know any better, (2) They have been going here for years and so have their parents so it's just something to fill up to and (3) Hey..it's busy..It's gotta be good.

The pizza is as dreary as the rainy day pic you have of the building. The workers are also arrogant for no good reason and get pissy if you tell them “Not too hot” or God forbid, “Extra Cheese Please.”
    A close 2nd to the worst pizza on Long island is FRATELLIS in StonyBrook Village.
    There are 2 Italian guys there but they are always busy yelling and NOT COOKING.
    The sauce is sweet, like Sweet-n-Low is used and the cheese is tasteless.
    Great Blog Fellas! After reading the reviews below I think the Island is crazy.
    The pizza SUCKS…the crust is doughy and the only reason you go there is frankly, they are open late and you need something to eat when the line is too long at White Castle.
    My dog got the shits from eating leftover ALPO..I mean Colosseo food.

• Suzy wrote:

18 Nov 2008 at 8:04 pm

Wow you guys are totally freaking out over this. I have gone to various pizzerias, currently live on Long Island and I think Colosseo has great pizza. It's nothing compared to any pizza I've eaten in the Bronx but it's good nonetheless. I find it surprising that some of you didn't like the sauce, when it's the sauce that I thought made the pizza taste so good.

Guess it's just a question of likes/dislikes. Anybody try Tony's Pizza in the Bronx, right off the Throggs Neck? I think it's Castle Hill area…. the pizza is so big it doesn't fit on a plate.

18 Nov 2008 at 8:12 pm

Can you get a photo of Tony's Pizza??

19 Nov 2008 at 12:34 pm

pizza nazzi, you dont know anything. your name is pizza nazzi, are you retarded?
    you obviously dont know good pizza. at least craig is giving it another shot.

• pizza nazi wrote:

21 Nov 2008 at 5:55 pm

Mrs. Anonymous..Craig and I write the truth. Stop and think about it. Go west and try pizza in Nassau..Queens.NYC….even Rosa's in Penn Station..excellent.
    It's funny how morons get so pissed off over someone “dissing”their hometown pizzaeria.
    I have given this dump a few shots…and everytime they come up short.
    The people working there are rude and ignorant and the quality of items are not the best. I will give it another shot when I stop shitting from their excessive use of canola oil.

24 Nov 2008 at 4:05 pm

i am in nassau county, queens, and penn station every single weekend, and have eaten at “rosa's” many times. its garbage. seriously. it tastes like re heated crap. the pizza in nassau is good however, but it is not colosseo quality. im not an “avid hometown fan” or whatever you called me about colosseo. in fact, i think its overpriced, but thats another story. the fact is, they have the highest quality of pizza i have ever tried. if you think the shithole rosa's can even compare to colosseo, then somethings wrong with you. and as for the service at colosseo, maybe they serve you shit because you're a prick. i'd do the same thing if i was waiting your table. everytime i am there, my waitress/waiter is always nice, definitley not rude, and certaintly not ignorant. the only flaw of there service, i will admit, is that the pizza takes a little longer than it should. other than that, perfection

• Karen G. wrote:

27 Nov 2008 at 7:22 pm

Wow , this woman who loves Colosseos is a fag! You guys are fighting about pizza. .good job. Rosa's pizza is quite good. I have had Colosseos and you cannot compare it to NYC pizza. Colosseos is so over rated and kind of slimy. Pizza on the island is not really that good. If this queer hates Rosa's so much why does the he-she eat there often? Good job.

29 Nov 2008 at 11:02 pm

wow, your a bitch. i said i am there often, not that i eat there often. learn to read dumb ass

30 Nov 2008 at 1:24 pm

and btw, its rose pizza, not rosa's. i walked by it yesterday

• Karen G. wrote:

03 Dec 2008 at 3:15 pm

Look you little jerk-off, Google it. Put in Rosa's Pizza Penn Station you ignorant illegal. Telling me to learn to read? Learn to spell and use punctuation properly. Typical person who eats at Colosseo's. Are you one of Branchenelli's boys?
    Here is the proof you jack ass.
    Rosas PizzaPenn Plaza, LIRR Level 212-629-7455
    Educate yourself , get your GED and get out of your mom's basement you fatherless loser. Oh here we go, now tell us you are at college or going to CIA or a wealthy industrialist. Get back to Walmart you twit. Where else has great food? Ground Round? Hess Gas Station? I bet you would say the food is better at Taco Bell than at a real Mexican restaurant.

03 Dec 2008 at 3:19 pm

It happens to be Rosa's, at least the one I have mentioned before….

03 Dec 2008 at 8:54 pm

i dont know where you guys are going, but the only 2 places i have seen at penn are caruso's and rose pizza. and karen, your a bitch. im not even gonna waste my time responding to you

03 Dec 2008 at 9:05 pm

Lets say you turn around from the ticket counter and face the restaurants. Head all the way to the left and keep going down and you will see Rosa's on the right hand side. I haven't been there since that last visit to NYC though.

07 Dec 2008 at 4:22 pm

lets say you to go there sometime soon. i just went today, and the sign read “rose pizza”

07 Dec 2008 at 4:25 pm

go there idiots. you can clearly see the “se” at the end of “Rose” in “Rose Pizza”

god you guys are retarded

07 Dec 2008 at 4:40 pm

Wow! This definitely looks like the place I was talking about. Either you are a genius at photoshop or they changed owners and the names!!! Thanks for pointing this out!!

11 Dec 2008 at 6:41 pm

i have never used photoshop in my life. go there, seriously…its rose pizza, not rosa's…and you cant disagree unless you actually go there and see for yourself

11 Dec 2008 at 7:12 pm

I started a new string here cause the others were getting cut off. But I only wish I still lived in NYC and could try Rose or Rosa's everyday!

• ryan wrote:

28 Dec 2008 at 5:16 pm

Here is the proof you jack ass.
    Rosas PizzaPenn Plaza, LIRR Level 212-629-7455

• imatsk wrote:

16 Jan 2009 at 1:54 pm

I have to agree with craig the pizza there sucks. For all those that say theres no good pizza near by either, try Caruso's in rocky point.

16 Jan 2009 at 2:06 pm

Finally a real person not sent here by the staff to argue! I will certainly try Caruso's next time I am in town!

31 Jan 2009 at 10:41 am

how about you try going to your own link before you post it you dumb shit..it doesnt even work

• […] if I was the guy who was behind the site and I confirmed it.  He then asked what I thought of Colosseo in Port Jefferson Station.  As I am sure you all know, I went to Colosseo Pizza during a previous […]

• Slick Rick wrote:

19 Mar 2009 at 11:37 am

You are clueless. Colosseo's pizza is delicious.

19 Mar 2009 at 11:41 am

I might be clueless, but you are the idiot that actually eats there!

• Crazy_U2_Nin-ja wrote:

23 Apr 2009 at 2:56 pm

I have no idea what you're talking about. I've lived in Port Jefferson Station for all my life. I've been to many pizza places. Collesuau is, and always will be, the best. The crust is fine, and the sauce isn't acidic like you said. Second from Collesau is Porto Bello and Carnival.

• M.F. wrote:

20 May 2009 at 8:11 pm

There's a reason that this pizza place ONLY sells pizza. Not to mention that there are 12 pizza places within 1 mile of this one, and only 7500 people in the whole town. This place has been open for about 30 years. I know people who Fed-Ex this pizza to foreign islands because they miss it so much.

That said, I seriously doubt you are qualified to judge pizzas, ESPECIALLY since you reference “Florida” in your review. My grandma lives in DelRey Beach, and I have eaten all the pizza around there, it SUCKS.

Sometimes the regular slice is not the best, but THE SICILIAN PIZZA at Colosseo cannot be beat. I live in Bed Stuy Brooklyn and work in NYC. I have not yet found a Sicilian slice around here to match the fluffy soft middle and crispy crust and great tasting San Marzano tomato sauce of Colosseo Sicilian.

The owner, Mr. Iannuzzi is straight out of Italy, with a thick accent. His kids are taking over his business now. If that is not authentic, what is? His sauce is straight outta Italy, son.

Obviously, you are either their competition trying to play them down, or the heat from the Florida sun has taken it's toll on your head.

Your entire website is discredited because we now know your ill palate. Colosseo even has its own fan page, with 1000 members on Facebook. Go back to Florida, I bet you think their bagels are far superior to NY's as well.
    -MF

• Brad wrote:

02 Jul 2009 at 3:18 pm

Wow. How can you be a food critic when you clearly have no taste buds. Do the world a favor and kill yourself the next time you think you are going to give people advice about food. Maybe if CityGuide needs somebody to review the best place to die of old age in Boca Raton or the best Gay bars in Palm Springs you can help them with that.

• steveo wrote:

02 Jul 2009 at 4:51 pm

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, however yours sucks. I only wish I lived close to a place like Colosseo's. Please find another hobby or profession or whatever it is you are doing because you have lost all credibility with this review.

• nymg63 wrote:

02 Jul 2009 at 6:22 pm

The fact that you would even consider pizza in Florida to be better than even the worst pizza in New York or New Jersey renders any of your opinions on pizza suspect.

• nymg63 wrote:

02 Jul 2009 at 6:32 pm

This place is kind of like pizza on the boardwalk in NJ, large slices, passable but nothing to write home about.

If you want good pizza in Penn Station go to Don Pepi's upstairs next to the Krispy Kreme shop.

• Tony wrote:

05 Jul 2009 at 8:03 pm

I'm a little late here but thought I'd say my two cents (found this from the FB group):

I enjoy Colosseo's personally (There are so many pizza places around here I am always switching around), but to each his own of course. A good place you should check out Craig is Little Vincent's, in I think Lake Ronkonkoma. Apparently voted best pizza on the island or something like that but that means little. The place was decently sized for your average pizza joint, and really packed, so seems like it isn't a secret, and the pizza was pretty damn good.

06 Jul 2009 at 5:16 am

I have eaten at little vincents a couple of time and althought it is decent, it doesn't deserve to be called the best. Way too many other better places I think

• Tony wrote:

06 Jul 2009 at 9:10 am

That it certainly doesn't. Damn, I wish I'd have eaten good enough pizza to say Little Vincent's is decent and Colosseo's sucks. The pizza that must be out there…haha.

• evilbean42 wrote:

19 Sep 2009 at 4:10 pm

Are you kidding me? Colosseo is the best pizza place around, i LOVE their sauce, and pray they never listen to someone like you and change it. If you want a real example of a places pizza buy a whole pie, not just a slice. Their crust is great, the ratio of dough – cheese – sauce is perfect. Anyone that bashes their pizza should not be pretending to be a food critic. Just because you've become accustomed to Florida crap doesn't mean REAL pizza is bad. This place should be on a list of best pizza, not worst.

• Name wrote:

17 Oct 2009 at 2:01 pm

Wow, it seems you are more ignorant. You sound like an angry 12 year old. Change your tampon, PMS.

• Name wrote:

17 Oct 2009 at 9:01 pm

• Rich wrote:

05 Mar 2010 at 9:36 am

I live in Florida , and I have had Colosseos flown in by friends, and I have flown down to Fl. with it frozen in my suitcase. As a matter of fact I have one slice left in the freezer. It is gone tomorrow. ABSOLUTELY the best Sicilian pizza around. NONE better. I am lucky, I have a Primantis around the corner in Sunrise. I used to drive 25 minutes for it. Yes there are many pizza places around here, but none can compare to Colosseos.

• Sauce Creep wrote:

24 Mar 2010 at 2:26 pm

Any retard who claims that Colessio is NOT a work of art concerning their pizza, well mainly their Sicilian slice has no clue what there bitching about. I myself have traveled not only to many U.S cities but i have been to 20 other countries outside of the United States, so i am more than qualified. Collesio is BY FAR one of the best places to eat pizza IN THE WORLD. NOT just Long Island. First off if you knew anything, you would have to testify there sauce is by far perfect. Not too sweet (yes sugar is key) and not too much oregano make this sauce highly sort after. It seems people like to bash the pizza for shock value, specifically NY pizza since NY has the best not just pizza but food in the world. Collesio's pizza is drugs hands down. There are a few other great places mentioned for pizza on Long Island, but this place is 100% UNDEFEATED. It wins on there sicilian slice alone, case closed. A crappy flavorless avaerage slice can be found anywhere in Florida, Flkorida does not have the right supplies to make pizza. Fact. HAIL THE OVEN OF DEATH! COLLESIO”S IS GOD! HAIL! :)

• Sauce Creep wrote:

24 Mar 2010 at 2:41 pm

Also..their staff are always nice to me..not sure why someone would say there rude to him maybe he is just not a nice person. The staff are mostly attractive young women and seem willing to fulfill your order rapidly and with no confusion. Some of the female staff have large breasts, which contribute to the Collesio experience lol… True the pie's take a little longer sometimes, but that doesnt bother me too much. Last week they had 40 people working the counter and serving people, it is 2010 most people are not stupid when it comes to NY pizza..Any schmuck who says Collesio's is no good has minimal experience with pizza. Their crust alone can shut down most places on the island.

24 Mar 2010 at 2:43 pm

When I went there, it was only guys who were waiting? It was hard to tell if they had nice breasts!

• brad14 wrote:

14 Apr 2010 at 5:21 pm

I grew up in the area and have eaten colosseos a thousand times. I've never been a huge fan of their regular slices (not bad just not great ) , but their Sicilian and their white pizza are the best. Get a corner slice. Best pizza in NY New Park Pizza in Howard Beach.

• bigstu wrote:

22 May 2010 at 2:32 pm

First off lets get something straight Collosseo Pizza IS NOT IN NEW YORK!!!1 IT IS ON LONG ISLAND……..WHEN REFERRING TO NY FOOOD WATER ETC… YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT THE CITY AND MAYBEE THE BOROUGHS.!!!!!!!!!! If you think Long Island Is NY then you have never been……..I know people that have grown up on the Island and have Never been to the city……….C'mon. get alife!

• Mark wrote:

01 Jun 2010 at 3:34 pm

I think the problem here is simply the reviewer. Fine wines are supposed to taste a specific way – the same goes for pizza. A good pizza sauce is supposed to taste mildly acidic, as Sleos' pizza does. A poorly made sauce tastes sweet, just like Papa John's or Domino's. If you want a sweet sauce, go ahead and eat a California style pizza – sweet bread/sweet sauce. But if you want a real New York slice, you can't beat Sleos cause it does have real New York pizza the way it is supposed to taste. I've eaten at hundreds of pizza places from Arthur Avenue, to Little Italy, to Brooklyn. I've never had a finer slice than Sleos.

• love this Pizza wrote:

11 Aug 2010 at 5:45 pm

I lived in Port Jeff my entire life, grew up on Colosseo's Pizza and now I live in IDAHO were pizza comes from Pizza HUT!! I would have to say that I travel home to Colosseo's once a year just to remember what real pizza should taste like!! Again, get a pie-not slices!!

• Jlyanks4 wrote:

20 Aug 2010 at 6:47 pm

Poor guy doesnt know what good pizza is. Hes obviously not from new york.

• Nicole wrote:

02 Sep 2010 at 4:53 am

I SOOO agree with you on this review! The pizza here is over-rated and over-hyped. My corner Sicilian was not at all crunchy or crispy! My regular slice was also soggy and flimsy. Pizza should have some crunch and keep its shape when you hold it by the crust. It doesn’t do that here.

It couldn’t have been because it wasn’t fresh… I knew it was fresh! I watched as this pie came out of the oven and onto my plate! I guess I don’t know what “real” pizza is…

• dee wrote:

10 Jan 2011 at 3:15 am

I would cut off my right foot for a slice of Colosseo. You’re crazy. This pizza has long been the favorite of my family. We know people who drive 2 hours to bring home a few pies to freeze.

10 Jan 2011 at 3:17 am

I am in Long Island and will try it again this week to see if it was as rough as it was my first time. If it is any better, I will post a new review about it!

11 Jan 2011 at 8:20 pm

I just went back to try it out again, and I was once again extremely unimpressed. I have photos I will post shortly to show how terrible the outer crust was, and how uneven the cheese was applied.

• Ryan wrote:

26 Apr 2011 at 5:57 pm

what is this guy talking about? colosseo’s is the best of the best. just going there on the weekends is like a war. people are cramming into the place and waiting for and hour or more to sit down. craig…your mouth must be way different than mine…because as far as i could tell…colosseo’s is about the best pizza could possibly get. when i go there…its like a religious hiatus. there are several places on long island that kick ass…but colosseo’s is amongst the top 5…actually…probably number 1. meet me there and i will watch you eat their food. if you tell me to my face its nothing short of incredible i will smash a pie in yo face. nuff said. Ryan from Oceanside NY

• Pete wrote:

04 Nov 2011 at 2:33 pm

Always get it fresh before you judge because that slice could have been sitting for some time and that effects taste

Las Vegas Pizza

• Mike wrote:

12 Nov 2011 at 9:06 pm

Just had a few slices from a fresh pie. Yum. Sorry you had a bad batch but this stacks up against the best. The crust is nice and thin, perfectly crunchy. Cheese is top quality and melted to perfection. I’m a fan of their sauce, really don’t like sweet sauces.

Big fan of little Vincent’s in ronkonkoma and Aegean in Holbrook. Umbertos is really good. Difara in midwood is top notch. Always get a good vodka slice at pomodoro on spring in soho.

• Lamfam126 wrote:

17 Nov 2011 at 8:56 pm

never ever heard of any pizzaria cooking pizza sauce??????????….you don’t cook pizza sauce #1 and #2 you don’t put hot sauce on cold raw dough to cook!!!!….lmao 24 years ina pizza place this i know !!!!!….p.s im not an employee of colosseo but a close by competitor

• Slice of LIfe wrote:

23 Dec 2011 at 10:28 am

Your an idiot guy. Collesso never had to deliver a pizza since it was established in year 1492. when columbus landed he went right to collesso and got that square pie. you ever see 75 people in a space fit for 35 people jocking for pizza and yes there was an additional 29 people working on a friday night behind the counter.  This place is the eighth wonder of the world

• mike wrote:

12 May 2012 at 5:01 pm

you should be reviewing mama celeste on this worthless website.  i live in manhattan, and still come out to my hometown port jeff for colosseo pizza.  it may be the best in the tri-state area…possibly top 5 in the country.  i also lived in florida for 2 years and nino’s in boca blows. albert’s in ronkonkoma…also not that great.  little vincents’ is way better.

12 May 2012 at 5:35 pm

What is it that makes you think it’s so great? Maybe Ninos is just the good stuff compared to others here but alberts blows LV and Colosseo away.
    Sent From iPhone

• Edll25 wrote:

16 Jul 2012 at 6:33 pm

I’m a born and raised New Yorker. I’ve had pizza countless times from numerouse different places in all the 5 burroughs of NYC, upstate ny, and li. And Colosseo is deff still in my top 5. If you think they’re bad then you just don’t know good pizza. Oh and btw, I lived in Florida for a year and every time I got pizza it was rancid, even at the “real ny pizza” places

• I know Pizza! wrote:

22 Jul 2012 at 6:34 pm

Maybe you should get some tastebuds! You shouldn’t be a food critic where are you from colorado! Its pizza not toast there is supposed to be tomato sauce on it.

• DesertChildAZ wrote:

13 Jun 2013 at 2:34 pm

Colosseos is without a doubt the best pizza there is. You are out of your mind. Born in NY, I now live in Arizona and have been all over this country in my 42 years. None. Better. We make a point to eat there every time we visit NY.

• Giuseppe Sciarrino wrote:

18 Oct 2013 at 2:54 pm

First and last time on this site after doing a google search for Branchinelli’s in Miller Place (waiting for this place to finally open). The “expert” must have been sick or ate something bad for lunch that day because Coloseo is the best around. I am an expert without some overrated (by herself) blog, and I’ve travelled far and wide eating pizza. Italy? Different style but amazing, especially in Sicily. Chicago? Filling as heck but just a massive conglomeration of too much of the same ingredient. Canada? They put ham under the cheese! Yes, maybe not everywhere but I have had ham under my cheese in multiple Canadian pizzerias. I only eat Sicilian at Coloseo and what makes it great is the freshness of the mozzarella, the consistency of the dough (not too dry or doughy) with a perfect crisp crust and a nice semi-sweet sauce.

Not that I give a sh** what this person thinks but they should really give it another try without having some kind of pre-established attitude, some open taste buds and a little more humility as a pizza blogger (lol).

18 Oct 2013 at 2:59 pm

I’ve gone several times and wasn’t impressed during any visit. Name another place in Long Island that you think also has good pizza?
    Sent From iPhone

• NostalgicPizzaLover wrote:

03 Apr 2014 at 4:47 pm

I have lived in long island for about 17 years, and I know that in the early years Colosseo’s was an AWESOME pizza place. You couldn’t believe the slices you got there – they were that good. Unfortunately, the place has taken a unexpected spiral down quality wise. I don’t know what they’re doing with the pizza now, but it’s definitely not how it used to be. The place isn’t exceptional anymore. I come back sometimes for the nostalgic feel, but I haven’t had any awesome experiences here in a while. If you’re on the road and you want to get a quick slice, I would say come here, but don’t expect the food to be phenomenal, because it’s lost it’s touch.

• Lenny wrote:

03 Dec 2015 at 1:12 pm

It’s funny how you’re attacking everyone that comments. Obviously you’re in the minority here, when you have 100 people telling you you’re wrong. Coming from someone that has also tried pizza from all over, you couldn’t be more wrong on this one. One of the things that makes this pizzeria so great IS their sauce. Other commenters were right, you have the palette of a 5 year old if you’re really trying to talk bad about their pizza. They have customers that live in California that pay insane amounts of $ to have Sicilian pies overnighted to them across the country. This place is so busy they couldn’t deliver if they wanted to. Last I heard they do almost $20k a week in Sicilian pies alone. Seriously, do yourself a favor and try this place again. Or you quit reviewing, because you couldn’t be more off on this one.