review

Pizza Supreme Garden City New York

Next stop on my pizza tour was at Pizza Supreme, in Garden City Long Island.  Pizza Supreme used to be located in the Roosevelt Field Mall.  I have many fond memories of grabbing a slice of their mini sicilian pie while wondering through the mall with my mom.  Years ago, for some reason or another […]

1 / 8
Slice Rating

Pizza Supreme Garden City New York

Posted By: Pizza Expert
View site

Next stop on my pizza tour was at Pizza Supreme, in Garden City Long Island.  Pizza Supreme used to be located in the Roosevelt Field Mall.  I have many fond memories of grabbing a slice of their mini sicilian pie while wondering through the mall with my mom.  Years ago, for some reason or another unbeknowst to me, they decided to leave the mall and go into a shopping center located a bit outside the mall.  Doesn’t seem like the smartest move, since the Roosevelt Field Mall is a highly trafficed shopping destination, but I am sure the owner had his reason.

Pizza Supreme is known for their small slices of sicilian.  The slices are very thin and taste extremely unique.  The sauce here is great, and they use just the right amount of cheese to make each bite scrumptious.  Since the slice is so small and so thin, the crust manages to stay super crispy and is easy to hold up when taking up to your mouth for a bite.  Although they are known for their tiny thin sicilian style slices, their regular slice is pretty good as well.  They have very garlicy garlic knots, so just in case you grab one or two, be warned!

What I like most about Pizza Supreme is that they are unique.  At a time when Coal Fired places are popping up all over America, they have kept true to their original recipe and haven’t deviated with the flow.  They do not even use a pizza cutter for the sicilian, but rather a 2 prong fork and knife.  I do recall eating another slice of pizza similar to Pizza Supreme in Brooklyn once, in Caesars Bay Bazaar.  Not sure who copied who, but either way they were both equally great.

One thing I would change about Pizza Supreme…  The small slices are priced a bit high.  They are a bit high, as I remember, I think they were $1.99 a slice but I could be wrong since I forgot the write it down.  I will give Pizza Supreme in Garden City Long Island 7 out of 8 Slices.

• make an
    order

• *
  • *

26 Responses to “Pizza Supreme Garden City New York”

• bill wrote:
    21 Aug 2008 at 10:20 am

I've had this pizza and the sicilian slices are very good. Another pie that is similar is Rizzo's in Queens.

• Cathy wrote:
    04 Sep 2008 at 6:55 pm

Pizza Expert is pretty much right on here, and I thank him for his gracious review—except I wouldn't describe the Sicilian slices as “so small”, and the price the writer mentioned is not correct. I agree, though, that the pizza at Pizza Supreme is fabulous! To add a few details and also clarify….Pizza Supreme is a family run business, established in 1958. Their original location, back then, was in the Bar Harbour Shopping Center in Massapequa Park. They then moved to Roosevelt Field Mall and operated, successfully , for 28 years. They left the mall because the mall management would not renew their lease—I guess they thought the public would prefer to eat the pizza served by that large chain operation (which still operates there). The writer is correct about the similarity of the pizza once served in Caesar's Bay. That store, Pizza D'Amore, as well as one that was in the Mid Island Mall (now Broadway Mall), was owned and operated by relatives of the family who still owns and operates the one and ONLY Pizza Supreme—on Stewart Avenue in Garden City. They are proudly celebrating their 50th Anniversary! Stop in, say hello and try a slice. I know you'll love it, because I'm pizza expert, too—I'm the owner's daughter!

• Barry wrote:
    04 Oct 2008 at 1:09 pm

The best pizza in the state of New York. They were originally the California Pizza in the old mall by Green Acres( Alexander's) off the Sunrise Highway. They moved to the Roosevelt field mall and then to their current location on Stewart Avenue. By far the best pizza. Deeelicious.

• joe wrote:
    09 Oct 2008 at 5:55 pm

best pizza on long island period !!!!!

• Cathy wrote:
    25 Oct 2008 at 5:07 am

Thanks, Barry! I agree that the pizza is the best, but you're information is incorrect . Pizza Supreme was never California Pizza. California Pizza (in Green Acres) was originally Golden Crust.
    Pizza Supreme has been Pizza Supreme since opening in1958. We are proudly celebrating our 50th. Anniversary this year.
    Thank you, Barry— and all of our other fans! Hope to serve you again, soon!

• […] Supreme of Coral Springs (not to be confused with the Pizza Supreme in Long Island) on Wiles Road in Coral Springs / Parkland has been around since I used to come down to visit here, […]

• Rob wrote:
    13 Dec 2008 at 9:43 pm

I love the pizza, definetly my favorite. 8 out of 8 slices, to bad I can't get their often, living in suffolk county,but when I do go, I order a couple of pies. They should think about opening up out in suffolk county also, let us get the great taste of pizza supreme

• Maria wrote:
    15 Mar 2009 at 7:02 pm

I grew up in Massapequa and when i was in Mass. HS I would go into Pizza Supreme 3 periods a day and grab 2 slices and a coke each time… Thank goodness, back then I had a fast metabolism and managed to stay quite skinny. I remember Mary at the register and Sal working the counter. After graduating, by coiincidence, I began dating a young cousin, Chris S. Pizza Supreme had the best pizza ever!!! And I would recommend opening a place somewhere on Deer Park Ave. close to where I live so that I could relive those tasty memories… I definitely will try to get to Garden City to grab a few slices with my family.
    Maria

• Steve wrote:
    01 May 2009 at 12:46 pm

Pizza Supreme is my family's tradition each Friday night! I work near by and can call ahead and order a square pie – give it at least 20 minutes! We didn't like the garlic knots but the Mozzerella sticks are GREAT!!! Even our twin girls love the square pizza! It may not be Roosevelt Field, but Stewart Avenue is certainly a great location.

• Shari wrote:
    13 May 2009 at 11:02 pm

My favorite Pizza since I was 9 and I am now 50 I always went to roosevelt field just fo this pizza…I now live in LA and dream of having a slice

• thewiseking wrote:
    16 Jun 2009 at 8:15 am

Always loved Pizza Supreme and fondly remember Pizza D'Amore, which I also loved. Very happy to hear that Pizza Supreme is alive and well in their “new” location and wish them another 50 years of success.
    One question; anyone out here remember a great pizzeria that used to be just at the entrance of the original Walt Whitman mall in Huntington. That place was excellent as well.

16 Jun 2009 at 8:18 am

You mean the one that use to be to the north or A&S? So if you were facing A&S it was to the left in kind of a strip mall outside the mall? They had some of the best Sicilian Pizza I have ever had! Forgot the name though!

• thewiseking wrote:
    17 Jun 2009 at 3:28 pm

Yup! That's the place. Had wooden booths everybody carved their initials in. LOVED the pizza at that place and really miss it.

• Name wrote:
    25 Sep 2009 at 2:05 pm

I also remember this pizza palor from when I was a teenager. I loved it then and I still love their pizza. I had not had their pizza for about 30 years and I just happen to stop in the location on Stewart Avenue, at the first bite it took me back to the 70's. I knew that I had this sumptious pizza before – I just had to ask the person behind the counter and yes it was the same place as in Roosevlft field,,,wow..

• Name wrote:
    25 Sep 2009 at 2:05 pm

Did you go to Clarke High School??? Here is what I wrote about your establishment…

• Name wrote:
    25 Sep 2009 at 9:05 pm

• Name wrote:
    25 Sep 2009 at 9:05 pm

• ELYSE787 wrote:
    03 Jan 2010 at 12:24 am

THERE IS NO BETTER PIZZA IN THE ENTIRE WORLD! I'M 60 NOW AND REMEMBER EXACTLY WHAT THE ROOSEVELT FIELD MALL PIZZA SUPREME LOOKED LIKE IN 1957. THOSE WERE THE DAYS WHEN THE ICE SKATING RINK WAS THERE AND EVERY WEEKEND WAS SPENT SKATING AND DREAMING ABOUT THE PIZZA TO COME AFTER MY LESSONS. I WAS A SKINNY KID BUT I COULD STILL EAT 4 SLICES EASILY! THE SAUCE IS LIKE NO OTHER YOU WILL FIND ANYWHERE AND THE YUMMY, SLIGHTLY SALTY MOZZERELLA IS INCOMPARABLE. I LIVE IN FLORIDA NOW AND LOVE THE FACT THAT ON EACH TRIP BACK TO LONG ISLAND, I MAKE A STOP AT THIS OUTSTANDING FOOD ICON AND EVERYONE THERE RECOGNIZES ME- NOT MY NAME MAYBE, BUT MY FACE! I FEEL LIKE PART OF THE FAMILY! PLEASE CATHY, TELL YOUR FAMILY HOW HIGHLY THEY AND THEIR PIZZA ARE REGARDED BY THE THOUSANDS OF LONG ISLAND RESIDENTS WHO KNOW THE WORLD'S BEST PIZZA WHEN THEY TASTE IT.

• Ithan wrote:
    13 Feb 2010 at 4:32 am

Pizza Supreme has some of the best pizza not only because of the taste but because the square pizza was memorably different then all the rest and I've had a lot to compare it too. Thinking of this place reminds me of an Italian restaurant long closed called Villa Rosa that had the best garlic rolls ever for the same reasons. For those old enough to remember, they were located by the Freeport Race Track. I'd love to know what the secret of those rolls were. People used to come from all over to buy them by the dozens. The garlic seemed to be almost shredded rather then minced or crushed.

• Pizza Lover wrote:
    18 Mar 2011 at 12:12 am

I really don’t know where anybody gets off calling Pizza Supreme the best pizza in New York… Seriously are you kidding? There are such great pizzerias on Long Island alone like Umberto’s and Cugini that KILL Pizza Supreme! They’re definitely not the WORST I’ve had but come on!

• Goldstar_media wrote:
    09 Apr 2012 at 7:11 pm

Wasn’t California Pizza busted in 1984 for heroin trafficking?  Either way, I will try it one day.

• Rocknrobin11105 wrote:
    10 Jun 2012 at 8:29 pm

The original pizza supreme was in bar Barbour shopping center they left Roosevelt field I heard because the other pizza place didn’t want the competition. Also the original pizza supreme owner was related to the rizzos pizza on Steinway street in Astoria they split up and went separate, I also love the original pizza brings back great memories since I am from massage qua and later moved to Astoria

• Rocknrobin11105 wrote:
    10 Jun 2012 at 8:29 pm

• Rocknrobin11105 wrote:
    10 Jun 2012 at 8:32 pm

They were originally in bar harbor shopping center in massage qua and before that they were in business switch the rizzos on Steinway st in astoria

• Rocknrobin11105 wrote:
    10 Jun 2012 at 8:38 pm

If you are the daughter then you would know if there is a connection to rizzos I grew up in massapequa in the 50s then later moved to Astoria I used to go to rizzo when my daughter was born and many more years and the owner told me he was the brother or cousin and they started together then separated is this true anyway I was so happy to find rizzos but I also went to Roosevelt field often now I will take a ride soon and visit the supreme again

• Pizza Man with a full mouth wrote:
    28 Nov 2015 at 3:14 pm

As I read this thread, I am sitting in Pizza Supreme enjoying the square pizza with my 17 year old daughter.

Eat your hearts out!!!